Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. jypsijemini

The reality of soul

Could be worth taking your own advice and pondering that last part. Difference is: I'm open to the idea that I could very well be wrong. In fact, in all actuality, I base my beliefs off opinions, accepted ideas and intuition. I trust that the information I've been told by people who say they've researched things is true. As I get older, some things I previously believed have changed - and newer information has told me that those things were myths. I think ultimately, the majority of us aren't actually the ones doing the research. We're just sitting back assessing and observing the efforts of others, we're waiting for patterns and agreeing statements to come in from several sources, and then we make a decision that a certain idea or statement is true. Don't you see? Most of us are just basing our understanding of 'reality' on beliefs too! None of us have the opportunities, resources or time to master and understand everything there is to know - so we're reliant on the work and claims of others who say they've done the research, they've understood it, they've used the work of other scientists and researchers before them and they've come to an understanding and conclusion. It's a big web of trust - and sure, a lot of it is reliable. There'd be holes everywhere and not a lot of agreement if it wasn't reliable. But getting back to your statement - I know I'm not a researcher - I'm an observer. Every day I'm absorbing new information. I could be wasting my time in thinking that life has a spiritual nature to it. That's fine by me. I could be wrong. There could be absolutely nothing after life, and no reason to become a better person. But I like the way I live. And if science is wrong and I'm right, then I've covered all my bases and I'll have myself prepared for the next level. If science is right and I'm wrong, what does it matter anyway?
  3. Saru

How can Judas have betrayed Jesus?

Thread closed for moderator review.
  4. and then

Turkey vows to retaliate in strongest manner

I understand Erdog's desire to stop the endless flow of refugees out of Syria but I don't understand his willingness to get into a potential shooting war that Russia might interfere in. Is the oil worth the costs?
  5. Helen of Annoy

Finish a sentence & start a sentence

so the night will seem really short. When I can sleep, I can sleep for _____
  6. A misused tiki or reiki would probably be very offensive to Maori elders.
  7. Golden Duck

Oh yeah? What's your k/d?
  8. Horta

The reality of soul

Could be worth taking your own advice and pondering that last part.
  9. Sherapy

Your argument was how you cannot be happy or try to be with money. Good to see you stand corrected.
  10. Sherapy

The point is money does seem to be a good thing even if it doesn’t make you happy. Most probably would rather have the money if they were miserable.
  11. The idea of performance diminishing drugs just seems too manufactured. I'm reminded of sprinter Leroy Burrell. He was legally blind and eligible for the Paralympics. He ended up winning world championships, Olympic gold and setting the world 100m record twice. Why do some people compete?
  12. Mr Walker

you gave examples from your life and experience. I am using people I know very well, and their experiences, to support my own argument.
  13. Mr Walker

Interesting, but not sure whose point it makes. Sounds maybe as if she was trying to buy happiness and only partly succeeded. If she had simply learned some self worth, that would have made her happy.
  14. Sherapy

Why are you comparing yourself?
  15. Sherapy

If the truth be told it’s probably easier to tolerate unhappiness if you have plenty of money. When I was a PA my boss was an overnight millionaire and had money to burn and my did she spend and she was very generous, everyone in her inner circle benefitted from her wealth, in this she felt she mattered, she found joy in giving and taking, the greed came too, in the sense she wasn’t guided by integrity and it would come to bite her, she was and still is the most miserable person I have ever known. The money didn’t change the misery but it gave her a way to feel better in other ways. In her case, greed was her downfall, yet, after several lawsuits it sounds like she has made big changes to her character.
  16. Dumbledore the Awesome

Dumbledore the Awesome

I'm not going to be saying anything today due to a dispute about Pay and Conditions. :angry:

17. Mr Walker

yep That was an early version of bluo. I often had to stir it into the copper, make sure the fire kept going, and do the heavy lifting for mum Then put the wet clothes through the hand mangle. The wash board was used first to loosen and remove the worst stains and grime.
  18. So know we've got a cross cultural expert proposing fa'afafine is justification to disregard the groundswell of female concern. "No matter how we look at it, he's a man [sic] and it's shocking this was allowed in the first place." ... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-30/transgender-athletes-in-the-pacific-under-fire/11360854 I've never heard any of my islander friends ever refer to a fa'afafine as a woman.
  19. Mr Walker

I don't have that idea at all Happiness comes from within so you can be just as happy, rich or poor The point being that you CAN be as happy on 50000 a year as on 500000 a year A number of surveys have shown the following Up to a certain point, where basic needs are met, people are happier with more money However after that point extra money does not confer any extra happiness or contentment, and in many cases decreases it Ie there is a median point where one has enough money to live comfortably and be happy/content. Too much or too little reduces your chance of happiness. As i said my sister is worth over 50 million dollars She seems pretty happy, but no more so than me, who is worth a few hundred thousand. She can take a canal boat on the seine, then a holiday in a villa in tuscany or attend a truffle festival in Italy, but this doesn't make her MORE happy than me. Her husband's hobby is restoring a 29 Packard gangster's car, where each wheel nut can cost $200. He will have it done from a very basic chassis, into a fully restored vehicle in about 2 years total. working in his fully equipped workshop with metal and wood lathes and other machinery all attached to dust extractors gives him perhaps the greatest pleasure in his life The money allows this, but he would get as much enjoyment from working with his hands and basic tools. He built a 40 foot steel hulled fishing boat with nothing more. then used that to build his first million or two. He is happy, but no more so than when he was a mechanic or fisherman when they first married. The things which make them happiest are the same things that make me happy ie being loved, having people to love, having a purpose etc. Being connected to family, place and community. (He is a member of rotary)
  20. Dumbledore the Awesome

Who will the Democratic nominee be?

If that is true and not computer generated, that's the cutest thing I've ever seen. And must have taken an incredible amount of patience. How do you put a hat on a pigeon? That's a question worth asking. The pigeons were released by a prank organization known as P.U.T.I.N.
  21. re bolded.... but it they and you that are fixated on what is between their legs.... in modern Western culture a woman can express the masculine side of their nature and a man can express the feminine side of their nature without resorting to surgery and hormone intervention... we are not pigeon holed like we used to be... but those behind the transgender agenda are trying to push it onto another level and create faux women and faux men.. it's like an experiment using vulnerable people as the subjects... one's that might have psychological problems or depression or dissatisfaction with their life and are drawn to thinking that by changing sex everything will be ok... but it won't because... we are much more than what we have between our legs... but unless we are born hermaphrodite we are basically male or female.. it is patently ridiculous that transgenders, faux women, are allowed to participate in female sport..
  22. jypsijemini

Hiding your Positive Qualities

That makes me obnoxious?? Wow. I would have never seen it from that perspective before. Sure, sometimes I do get the grumpy old furk who isn't impressed by someone seeming so optimistic, positive and friendly - but that's a reflection of where he's at and the day he's having. Doesn't make me an obnoxious sAss-hole. I work in customer service and usually do the graveyard shift. It may just be the laid-back friendly Aussie culture but I get people commenting all the time on how bright, bubbly, smiley and happy I am all the time. And you know why I push myself to be like that at work? Because people walk in all foggy, on autopilot, not giving a rats sack about the other people around them - and I'll twist their arm into a conversation and get them walking out the door with a smile. Because we're humans. We're made to interact. We're social creatures. And in this day and age, people are stuck in their own sad little worlds. I like to kick the door down with a smile and invite myself in. Sure, not everyone appreciates it - but MOST do. You'd be surprised. And I'm not an insensitive kent. I read people's body language and reactions and if I can see that they're just not having a bar of me, I'll ease off and just put through their sale and gently wish them well. I'll change my tone of voice to something calmer and quieter. I'll hold off from too much meaningless yammering. I can see when people are tired or stressed. Smiles are infectious. Worse than yawns. People like it when you remember their name or how they like their coffee. Last night (midnight - dawn shift) I lost two hours because the truck drivers like my company so much they just wanted to stay and chat a while - and there were about seven of them in a row. They remember MY name. They remember my stories - because after a few times, they realise that all I do is ask them about themselves. I've had people stop talking and say, "You always ask me how I am - how are YOU doing?!" People are amazing. Crazy, weird and sometimes unbelievably frustrating - but they're also caring, thoughtful, considerate, respectful and incredible. Yin and yang, baby. We're not all meant to be little unicorns shooting rainbows out our bum freckles! There's a balance of good and bad and that's what UM has really taught me lately (there are a few really wise gems floating around here in UM cyberspace). Channel and use your anger where it's deserved and warranted. There are plenty of situations where it's the only 'right' thing to do. Sometimes kindness, understanding and forgiveness will get you nowhere and actually make the situation worse. Sometimes things and people deserve your anger. I think one of the meanings of life is to learn this - when to channel your yin energy, and when it's time for some yang. x
  23. Dumbledore the Awesome

Who will the Democratic nominee be?

he speaks a lot of sense.
  24. Habitat

The blue bag used to be the thing.
  25. Habitat

As a funny bumper sticker I once saw said, "All I want is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy "
  1. Load more activity