Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I just don't understand how someone can do that to a child, much less their own.
  3. Please quote Plato talking about these mountains. Part of the ancient myth of Okeanos is that the world was flat and Okeanos circled it. The idea was that there had to be something holding the water on the flat Earth. Thus, a surrounding continent (lip) beyond the world river (Okeanos.) Plato was trying to make his story SEEM to come from antiquity by telling it in a way that evoked this ancient viewpoint. Harte
  4. Today
  5. Commander CMG

Rogue's Gallery III

A few from a holiday when my kids were young.
  6. India is an ancient civilization that has been there for milleniums and is still standing while other contemporary ancient civilizations like the Egyptian, Babylonian, Assyrian and Persian have collapsed. By the law of averages, the Indian civilization should not be standing at the moment but it is . As per economic history, both India and China were the richest nations on earth for milleniums. It was the recent British colonisation and economic exploitation that resulted in its diving headlong into poverty, but after independence is now moving swiftly up economically and is the fastest growing economy on earth at the moment with the third largest number of billionaires in the world. However as Sadhguru stated in the article, the increasing focus on affluence, consumerism and capitalist model induced multiple desires are creating havoc in urban India as well. As per Hindu scriptures, the Rajarshi or spiritual householder, with both spiritual and material prosperity, is superior to a mere ascetic as the ascetic is dependent on his alms and material supports on the householder. Janaka was an enlightened king mentioned in the Vedas who was not averse to manual labor in the field and at the same time was an instructor to philosophical and spiritual seekers. Rama, Krishna, Lahiri Mahasaya are other such examples. The Rajarshi is similar to the philosopher-king of Plato. 'Dharmasya Moolam Arthah' is a sanskrit saying which means Dharma or righteousness grows by wealth earned by honest and ethical means. As per Guru Nanak (founder of Sikhism) too, the householder who makes a honest and ethical living with his mind on the Divine, need not perform any other austerities. One can have goals and intelligently crafted duties to progress in life enthusiastically without craving for them. It is strong desires as in cravings that agitate the mind leading to stress and loss of peace of mind. Such cravings can also lead one to vice and crimes of passion as well. All desires for sense-pleasures are bound to result in pain and misery in the long run due to the factors of impermanence and saturation. The goal thus would be to find a permanent source of happiness and joy that is derived from Self-knowledge or Buddha nature or Christ-consciousness within. The ascetic or monk also plays a vital role in society, in showcasing the fact that running endlessly after numerous desires for transient pleasures is not exactly wise and to focus on wisdom and bliss of enlightenment instead. Siddhartha himself was inspired by an ascetic in his search for truth and enlightenment later on.
  7. It’s 2024 and I am sill waiting for internet people to define what “stealing the 2020 election” means exactly, so that we can prove to the intransigent question-askers that whatever it is didn’t happen.
  8. Raptor Witness

Looking for serious help from a psychic

You don’t need a psychic, you need to move.
  9. Turns out that the Secret Service has plans in place to deal with Trump being jailed - note that this would be for contempt (attacking jurors/judge/etc with his posts) : https://abcnews.go.com/US/secret-services-prepares-potential-trump-contempt-order-hush/story?id=109542824
  10. In all the crusades (if memory serves) there were a number of incidents where Christian towns were attacked and sacked, and Jewish areas in towns were burned/sacked/destroyed. And People's Crusade was what got the elites moving.
  11. itsnotoutthere

Stopping Illegal immigrants

It goes some way to expelling the myth that we need immigration to boost the economy, and expelling the myth that uncontrolled immigration isn't a drain on society.
  12. I can't imagine not getting believers upset with anything I bray here but ( in my best will smith voice ) daaaaaaamn ! In some of my research into paranormal I've met poor souls this messed up, does it count as metal illness? I mean they live lives have jobs, etc
  13. And this "lets' settle for less" attitude is why India stagnated for centuries, and was conquered by Muslims who unrelentingly massacred the Hindu population for 500 years. There is a place and a reason for all things under heaven, or so the saying goes. Even for desires. Enlightenment isn't everything, in fact, it may not be enough. The bad side of an ascetic life is that it encourages you to tolerate poverty and deprivation instead of bettering your lot in life. It tells you "don't be materialist", but it is in times of prosperity that religion flourishes. Religion is always the enemy, because it is inevitably some "wise guy" telling you to make do with less while he makes do with the "more" you supply him.
  14. The so-called People's Crusade was part of the First Crusade, and not a very successful part at that. As the saying goes: A pile of logs is not a house, and an unruly mob is not an army.
  15. and-then

Rogue's Gallery III

Saints fan?
  16. I'm sure this man agrees with you. He's struggling to say "foreigners" in an acceptable way:
  17. The rest of the world should take their cues from the Mossad in dealing with these evildoers.
  18. 101 UN staff killed out of 130,000 in Gaza. That's a death rate of 0.77%. Extrapolate that to the population and you get 17,000 dead. And that's on the assumption the IDF are no less likely to target UN workers than they are anyone else. Hamas was only estimated to have 20-25000 members before the war.
  19. What do you call people who attack police? How much?
  20. No at all. Diehard Conservative, but not these current ignorant UKIPers who are trashing democracy. Liz Truss as PM, Boris Johnson as PM, Rishi Sunak as PM, Suella Braverman as Home Sec, Nadine Dories as Culture Sec, Grant Shapps rotated through many roles- so many Tory's holding posts they are completely unsuitable for. In fact, it is as if they were put in post just for a laugh, except the laugh is on the UK.
  21. Look at this flag-waving ignoramus. He probably doesn't know that St George's mum was a Palestinian and they also celebrate St George's Day:
  22. May the little guy finally rest in peace. My God, what a world.
  23. If some moderately wealthy business people merely satisfy their authentic needs rather than multiple imaginary desires, then good for them. They are not bound to have addiction disorders and potential for psychological suffering. However this does not mean the rest, especially the middle and lower classes are immune to the temptations impressed on them by various ads in social media, billboards, tv and cinema, magazines and newspapers and brochures, endorsements by successful celebrities. Desires are also generated by comparison, so if the neighbor has a brand new luxury car, desires for the same will be generated in oneself so as to keep up and not to look bad in comparison. If I am a capitalist selling branded watches, it would be good for my profits if the same customer is impressed to buy a few dozen of my watches even if only one is needed for his or her practical purpose. Good marketing psychology and tactics and salesmanship can ensure that the same customer would buy a couple of branded watches for various occasions and dress styles citing the example of a famous actor or model or celebrity. I would also create a few ads showing that those who wear my branded watches are Winners who stand out and the rest are pathetic losers who belong to the invisible herds. Plato has stated that the intelligent are always a minority in a population, so the people who can figure out my schemes would be a minority and will not pose much trouble for me. The superficial majority however are bound to buy my watches and enable me to buy my next super-yacht, private island and latest sportscar, which similarly has been impressed on me by various ads and articles and examples of celebrities. And yes, there will be a few who are impressed with strong cravings by the ads of my watches, and being unable to afford them will try to steal them or get to a life of crime for easy money, and end up in prison for a couple of years. Bad luck, I guess. If they were smart enough like me, they would do all the robbing they wanted in a legal manner without anyone being the wiser.
  1. Load more activity