Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I don't believe you

(Ive explained all this to sherapy many times I can do so for you I certainly am in the top 5% or so of income brackets (for the world) and also in the top 5 or 10% of wealthiest people But so are most westerners. Ive explained to sherapy that my income was not limited to teaching. Ive also shown how using the Australian tax system every dollar you give to a Charity becomes a deduction in the next year, which can be reinvested, One example of extra income. When we married in 1976 I purchased a small farm block for 20000 dollars partly using a small inheritance from one of my wife's aunts I did a lot of work on it during my holidays and sold it a few years later for $40000. I invested that in our home on a small acreage (which we had been renting for some years) which we bought from a farmer during a period of hardship when their interest rates were 22% i paid 40000 for the house which when it burned down, about 15 years later, was insured for 175000 dollars plus 40000 dollars for the land. I then purchased an investment property for $275000 dollars This did not appreciate so well but brought in a tax free income of around 300 a week and was negative geared against other income We sold it for 275000 and purchased our retirement house for $225000 Meanwhile of course i was paying superannuation all my teaching career, which reached about half a million dollars on retirement We spent very little, never going on holidays, and buying clothes etc second hand Plus we have had substantial inheritances including about 50000 from my wife's parents, and 100000 from mine We were given 40000 dollars in donations after the fire We also had the use of my wife's parents pensions as their guardians while we looked after them 24/7 for over 5 years. This helped us support their grand kids and great grand children who lived with us for about 5 years while they were homeless There is probably other income and assets as well, but as you can see, giving away a million dollars was easy if you dont want to own a lot of material and disposable things (oh yea when AMP went public i sold my shares for about $10000, before the y collapsed) When i started teaching my wage was exactly $5200 a year, which happened to be the cost of the first car i bought new (a ford falcon panel van) And yes we didnt have much money in the first year or two Our double bed cost 5 dollars, our table was a fold down card table and we sat on two plastic caroma stools BUT wages went up fast in teaching I also was paid as a senior teacher /counsellor for over a decade which was quite a lot extra. BY the time i retired, salaries were well over $100000 a year for a teacher and significantly more for senior teachers rents were minimal in teacher housing in whyalla In the country they were also very low in farm houses, and water and firewood were free on the farm We consistently gave away about 25% of our salary yet lived a very comfortable and rich life, lacking for nothing we needed Most of the million dollars would have accrued in the later years And only a small proportion in the first few years i was teaching.
  3. Dora Ruth Smith

http://charleyproject.org/case/dora-ruth-smith Dora was last seen in April of 1977 at her Alabama home. She left the house in the middle of the night without her essentials (keys, dentures, purse etc) and was seen by her husband entering a truck. In 2003, Dora's home was being renovated and a letter was found, along with 200 dollars under the wallpaper in the bathroom. It said ""They are trying to take my food away and kill me. Please help me." Her husband was suspected of killing her, but a body was never located.
  4. Given a choice between discussing the evidence and making up an inane parlour game, Creighton goes for the parlour game. Imagine my surprise. M.
  5. I don't believe you

If god told you, then you've got mental problems.
  6. Well then he shouldn't send emails telling people they will be sent another email. But never mind. I will bow out now!
  7. Well done! So you spotted my deliberate mistake - and hence proved my point! If I get Neville mixed up with his father Joseph, then I can't possibly know anything about anything, and especially not Apollo. I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist it. Of course, you are not going to believe a word of what I have just written ...
  8. Lady Arbuthnot's Chamber (Question)

Hi SWoH, Further to my previous post, here's something you can try at home - a little experiment if you like. (Indeed, you can all try this). Get about 50 sheets of A4 paper. Copy some hieratic signs onto the pages. Find the darkest room in your house (a cellar would be ideal). Affix the 50 pages to three of the walls, placing them no higher than 3 feet. Turn all the lights off and ensure the room is pitch black. Give two family members (or friends) a lit candle each. Tell them to enter the darkened room with their candle (closing the door behind them). Ask them to search the walls (no higher than three feet) for signs of any strange markings in, let's say for 15 minutes. When they exit, ask them if they noticed any strange markings on the walls. Try the experiment a number of times with two different people. I'd be surprised in the extreme if a single one of your family or friends reported back to you that they saw nothing. Try it. SC
  9. "Fire safety experts warn many of the 1,700 buildings identified as "at risk" in England are likely to fail new tests into cladding and building materials. "Hospitals, schools, nursing homes and tower blocks are among buildings which could be under threat, BBC 5 live Investigates has learned. "The government said it will monitor the test results this summer to decide if any immediate action needs to be taken." Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48387380 Or listen at BBC Radio (if available in your region): https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005fgl Nobody wants to pay for putting it right. "The government will fully fund the replacement of unsafe aluminium composite material (ACM) cladding on high-rise private residential properties where building owners have failed to do so "Communities Secretary the Rt Hon James Brokenshire MP calls time on “reckless” building owners who have refused to take action "New funding estimated at £200 million to ensure this work takes place urgently." At HM Gov: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-fund-and-speed-up-vital-cladding-replacement
  10. My thoughts on aliens

You know, free energy and anti-grav the alyenz have.
  11. Religion versus Fiction

Have you lost track of what you're arguing, or it just me? I don't think a real Daenerys commands real dragons; compare Pope Francis who professes that a real Michael battles a real dragon, Satan. There is a difference between these two mental states, and the difference is not subtle. Even if I were wasting my time, and Pope Francis is wasting his, only one of those wastings would be of any interest to atheists as atheists. Also, the phrase "suspension of disbelief," at least in American English, refers only to mental stances like mine relative to GOT, and not to what Francis professes about his own mental state relative to heavenly politics. (Nor, on the off chance that Francis is uncandid about his real beliefs, does the phrase refer to hypocrisy, either). Aside: I gave him one of mine on your behalf
  12. Theresa May to resign on 7 June

Boris is a very machiavellian character to the point its like the book `The Prince` is his mantra. He even acts as the scruffy jester to divert attention away from him so people think he isn't a threat. We cannot trust a word that comes out of the guys mouth and he is very slippery. He is the type to say he will give us a Hard Brexit then find a reason to make it fail so it turns into a soft one. I dont trust him, and I dont want him as PM. He is missing personal integrity.
  13. Tommy Robinson standing for MEP

I'll take that as a .... 'no' we appear to have a communication problem.... never mind ....
  14. Theresa May to resign on 7 June

Does he do his hair that way on purpose?
  15. Rusia must release detained Ukrainian sailors

Thats getting out of hand: russian propaganda presents chinese firefighters as their own. Russians still have some place ahead of North Korea... (at 2:48, in Russian)
  16. Humans have the privilege of choosing abortion versus life. Humans have the privilege to discuss "when is life - life" and "when is life - a non-sentient clump of cells". This easily plugs into the whole "what is moral to eat and what is not moral to eat" saga. At the end of all this moralizing - all I see is just a whole lot of hypocrisy and a call to conflict (nothing new for humans) - however - nature is laughing AND moving on! When it comes to abortion - yes, some mothers will abuse the choice they have and use abortion as a form of post-coital birth control instead of pre-coital birth control. Some other mothers will be denied the right to abortion and it will cost them (and their baby) - their life. Those are the extreme ends of that spectrum. Along the middle - there will be countless cases where it's a good thing, it's a bad thing - it could have been avoided - it shouldn't have been avoided. I agree with you that mankind is disturbing, but it is disturbing to itself. It is only mankind that has pioneered hypocrisy and contempt towards itself. It is only mankind who has for some reason given itself the role of the "steward of nature" - thinking that when it speaks on behalf of itself - it speaks for the whole of universe. What arrogance!
  17. Based on what evidence, Creighton? You said that you were going to talk about Vyse’s journal—not his published work, his journal: what he wrote day by day, on the spot, in Egypt—yet you’ve shown us not one image of it and quoted not one word of it. Why is that? Why have you fallen back on the published work? I think we know. Clue: M.
  18. I think you mean Neville Chamberlain.
  19. Theresa May to resign on 7 June

Thats the official place to do speeches outside 10 Downing Street. In all fairness she is the only PM that has blubbered on her way out, but she is female so we can forgive her for that. It must have been quite stressful for her seeing that she has been the most unluckiest PM yet. She didnt really get a chance to make her mark.
  20. The forum owner says he doesn't send confirmation emails: I don't send emails when accounts are approved since I have no way to know if a new user is really just a bot collecting my email address. The forum gets around 20-30 new users per month. Most of them are obviously spammers so I reject them. The rest are usually ambiguous enough that I am gambling when I approve them... they could be legit users or they could be spammers.
  21. Tommy Robinson standing for MEP

Wow indeed. Unbelievable. Ok be like that, this discussion is over.
  22. Jowett indeed did not consider the story of Atlantis as having any truth in it. He clearly states that, in his opinion, it's an invention, a total fabrication by Plato. However, we can garner much from Jowett's introduction for all of Plato's work that he translated into English. E.g. The Critias is a fragment which breaks off in the middle of a sentence. It was designed to be the second part of a trilogy, which, like the other great Platonic trilogy of the Sophist, Statesman, Philosopher, was never completed. Timaeus had brought down the origin of the world to the creation of man, and the dawn of history was now to succeed the philosophy of nature. The Critias is also connected with the Republic. Plato, as he has already told us (Tim.), intended to represent the ideal state engaged in a patriotic conflict. This mythical conflict is prophetic or symbolical of the struggle of Athens and Persia, perhaps in some degree also of the wars of the Greeks and Carthaginians, in the same way that the Persian is prefigured by the Trojan war to the mind of Herodotus, or as the narrative of the first part of the Aeneid is intended by Virgil to foreshadow the wars of Carthage and Rome. The small number of the primitive Athenian citizens (20,000), ‘which is about their present number’ (Crit.), is evidently designed to contrast with the myriads and barbaric array of the Atlantic hosts. The passing remark in the Timaeus that Athens was left alone in the struggle, in which she conquered and became the liberator of Greece, is also an allusion to the later history. Hence we may safely conclude that the entire narrative is due to the imagination of Plato, who has used the name of Solon and introduced the Egyptian priests to give verisimilitude to his story. To the Greek such a tale, like that of the earth-born men, would have seemed perfectly accordant with the character of his mythology, and not more marvellous than the wonders of the East narrated by Herodotus and others: he might have been deceived into believing it. But it appears strange that later ages should have been imposed upon by the fiction. As many attempts have been made to find the great island of Atlantis, as to discover the country of the lost tribes. Without regard to the description of Plato, and without a suspicion that the whole narrative is a fabrication, interpreters have looked for the spot in every part of the globe, America, Arabia Felix, Ceylon, Palestine, Sardinia, Sweden. Timaeus concludes with a prayer that his words may be acceptable to the God whom he has revealed, and Critias, whose turn follows, begs that a larger measure of indulgence may be conceded to him, because he has to speak of men whom we know and not of gods whom we do not know. Socrates readily grants his request, and anticipating that Hermocrates will make a similar petition, extends by anticipation a like indulgence to him. Critias returns to his story, professing only to repeat what Solon was told by the priests. The war of which he was about to speak had occurred 9000 years ago. One of the combatants was the city of Athens, the other was the great island of Atlantis. Critias proposes to speak of these rival powers first of all, giving to Athens the precedence; the various tribes of Greeks and barbarians who took part in the war will be dealt with as they successively appear on the scene. In the beginning the gods agreed to divide the earth by lot in a friendly manner, and when they had made the allotment they settled their several countries, and were the shepherds or rather the pilots of mankind, whom they guided by persuasion, and not by force.
  23. I agree with everything you say here, Helen, but particularly with the part I've put in bold. I think this is the first time I've seen this point mentioned in a discussion about abortion and it's very important.
  24. Banned CFCs traced to China

They deny it's true. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201905/25/WS5ce89e94a3104842260bdb5c.html
  25. Lady Arbuthnot's Chamber (Question)

Just ONE box of tissues and you actually managed to FIND it. Well done. That's more than Vyse was able to do. Now imagine if there were about FIFTY boxes, there were TWO of you searching for them and you spent 15-30 minutes in your search. How difficult would it have been, even in candle-light, for the both of you to find a single one of the boxes? SC
  26. Now I'm scared too. And I don't scare easily!
  1. Load more activity