Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. No one chooses what they believe

Well, humans use shelters and toold and fire, so a lot of environmental factors that drive evolution don't apply directly. The weak don't just survive, but other humans give them free help. Such that despite low intelligence, or trollish appearance, humans can basically have as many children as they want. Those who tend to have advantages, such as wealth, power, fame, superb skills... tend to have fewer children with great resources. But when the stupid have 5 kids for every 1 of the smart... it doesn't take a genius to see the trend. This is one reason I believe religion will never go extinct. The religious will always tend to have more children the on the atheists.
  3. Gender Neutral Terms

Prince was his actual name and the only reason he briefly used a symbol was because of a contractual dispute with Warner Bros. Records.
  4. Regardless, the Navy briefed some of Congress and the President. Why should people believe there is nothing to it, when clearly the Navy believes there was enough to brief government officials? True, there is no reason to believe these are "aliens". But, then where are the craft from? And how is it they are better in some ways then US Navy craft? Maybe they need to capture/shoot one? Maybe they already have? We don't know what else was in the briefings, or even how long they were. Actually, we don't even know as a fact they happened, because despite many sources, and the President, saying they happened, there is no online proof of any such meetings in the military public news.
  5. Anyone create their own music?

Thanks OverSword, A friend stuck her phone up and made a video/audio of me.....but the sound was terrible....no low frequencies! i used to have an old school fostex 4 track ,which could bounce tracks and mix down ...I would sing and play acoustic....(sometimes harmony vocal) ...then a drum track....then electric guitar. Some of those turned out surprisingly well ..they were accidentally erased long ago when I drank whiskey ! ! now I guess I'm content to just sing and play my Guild .. I could make y'all cry
  6. No one chooses what they believe

To a degree that is true. Imagine if a hairless thin fellow and a thicker hairy fellow like in Anchorage Alaska. If being thicker and hairier gave the one guy an advantage with the cold, genetics wise, he'd be more likely to survive long enough to have children. Over 20 generations, the hairier people would statistically come to dominate. This isn't necessarily true in humans though, but the point is the same with animals, and plants. Those that have even a minor advantage will eventually be the predominate representatives of the population. A minor change can lead to everyone gaining that change if it is useful. Even slight expressions in height, weight, hair amount... Thanks for explaining it (and the nice example too ) It’s seems, that is what I thought. I feel, that it’s complicated when it comes to the human population, but it still boils down to what you just explained to me, right?
  7. No one chooses what they believe

To a degree that is true. Imagine if a hairless thin fellow and a thicker hairy fellow like in Anchorage Alaska. If being thicker and hairier gave the one guy an advantage with the cold, genetics wise, he'd be more likely to survive long enough to have children. Over 20 generations, the hairier people would statistically come to dominate. This isn't necessarily true in humans though, but the point is the same with animals, and plants. Those that have even a minor advantage will eventually be the predominate representatives of the population. A minor change can lead to everyone gaining that change if it is useful. Even slight expressions in height, weight, hair amount...
  8. No one chooses what they believe

So if a new super good guitarist comes out, it is impossible for them to be your favorite? Or, if that person is your new favorite, then perhaps it was fated to be so? No new ice cream flavor could turn your head? Or, if it did, it was fated to do so? Is that the arguement? Fate? Or, perhaps instinct?
  9. Love and Empathy

Im very offended by the first few lines you wrote, but thanks for caring to comment anyway :)) also i made it seem wrong by saying i wrote “letters”, it was diaries i wrote. And when i thought about it, i had no explained reasons to write what i did but there was an instinct that was just telling me to write **** down. Maybe its a result of accumulating feelings, or i felt a wave of energy making me need to describe all that was present at the point. Anyway, sorry she left..
  10. No one chooses what they believe

Actually, I was trying to decide to use a lol smiley or the thanks one. I’m not a huge Pink Floyd fan, but I feel I’m married to one. I think this post is pure genius. Well done, LG, well done!
  11. Faith?

But, you also admit it works, right?
  12. Millennials will do anything to get a few extra views & likes on unsociable media.
  13. Why aren't humans constantly hallucinating ?

They are (or, if you're human, we are). Just look at the evidence: Donald Trump. Boris Johnson. These can't be products of reality.
  14. A 65-year-old man has admitted making a fake bomb threat in the hope of getting a date with a flight attendant. The Serbian man's telephone call caused Lufthansa's flight LH1411 to be evacuated on Thursday before its take-off from Belgrade to Frankfurt. All 130 passengers and five crew members had to leave the aircraft while it was searched by a special police squad and sniffer dogs. The man, who has not been named, had met two flight attendants and invited them for dinner, but they refused. https://news.sky.com/story/man-65-made-fake-bomb-threat-to-get-date-with-flight-attendant-11767051
  15. No one chooses what they believe

We may be Poles Apart but it's not Us and Them, it's merely that before we shuffle off to the The Great Gig in the Sky we have Time to point out when someone has A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Doesn't mean someone's a bad person, most people here are fine with the general attitude that you can invest yourself in Any Colour You Like and don't think their opponents have Brain Damage; ultimately just go ahead and Shine on You Crazy Diamond s as far as I'm concerned. Yes, there are a lot of Echoes here and it may seem like One of These Days someone will really lose their temper, but we just need to Breathe and relax as we splash around in our communal Saucerful of Secrets. Some people seem to have Empty Spaces in their reasoning, some people's understanding of topics appears to be Obscured by Clouds, and I may not have High Hopes that if I Keep Talking that I'll change their mind, but I can't say to anyone that I don't Wish You Were Here. It's a skepticism board so it's going to seem like Welcome to the Machine if one argues for something but can't support it, such people might want to Run Like Hell away, but it's not personal, we just want to Let There Be More Light. (sorry I'm just not going to be able to fit Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict into this, some Floyd is beyond my capabilities)
  16. 4K ILS Cat II - Boeing 737 night landing

Fascinating! Thanks for posting!
  17. Today
  18. No one chooses what they believe

How do we tell the difference between someone who has rejected reality and one who simply doesn't have the same reality and hasn't come to the same conclusion as us? I agree with Cormac that because of all the overwhelming evidence for evolution I cannot choose to not believe in it. Lots of people aren't aware of that evidence, lots of people don't use rational thought processes consistently or understand the validity of the scientific method, some people believe there is a super-powered being who can do anything, and possibly related superbeings who dwell here specifically to deceive us, in this reality. What I believe for me seems to be subconscious. I'm not sure how I go about just changing my belief given a current evidence set; how do we do that, just concentrate really hard and I can change my belief? I'm not even sure I can choose to believe in subjective things, I can't choose to have a different favorite ice cream flavor or favorite rock guitarist. IN which, I always argue about. What I read from you LG, is dead on, I think. I feel that the time or times, I have been ‘encouraged’ to believe something that I didn’t, were examples of how it doesn’t work that way. My inner self, that believed what I really believed was still there and warring with my outer self. I don’t see the honesty there. I feel strongly, that it hurts the individual in the long run.
  19. The Witcher (Neflix)

This made me laugh.
  20. It turned, looked at us and snorted...

I'd like to see the bear that has "roamed" across the entire pacific ocean or crossed the equator from Asia and shake its paw for its enormous effort.
  21. No one chooses what they believe

I'm going to turn over your books to the Untouchables. I wouldn’t worry, Alchopwn, they can’t touch them.
  22. No one chooses what they believe

I bet you're just bad at maths.
  23. The office I work in was built in the 1700's. It's been renovated a few times . No one has ever experienced a thing. My boss has a big old farmhouse in Vermont which has been completely renovated as well. It's gorgeous. He was telling us about pictures that were left in the attic by the original owners dated from the late 1800's. Creeping looking as hell. I asked him and his wife if they have ever experienced anything paranormal. Nope. Nothing. As much as I want to believe in the paranormal, I remain skeptic until I actually see something myself.
  24. No one chooses what they believe

There are a few different issues here. One is overcommitment. Any one of us can become too invested in an idea, even if it doesn't hold up to any critical scrutiny. A classic example of this is how ex-sports identities feel they have lost their identity when they retired and become depressed and even suicidal. This is much the same as what happens to people who are overcommitted to a cause that is seen to fail. Then there is the issue of all the times people have assiduously ignored the occasions when their actions contradict their closely held beliefs, or when they have chosen to belong to an organization that has betrayed its core beliefs. This is when congitive dissonance kicks in. I recommend the last article on the 8 psychological traps for investors, because these mistakes can be made in any part of your life (by analogy), when you emotionally invest in a person or cause. Psychology of fanaticism 11 Signs of Narcissistic Abuse Cognitive dissonance Champions of the lost cause Depression in retired sports people 8 Psychological traps for investors The fact is that anyone can choose to change. The real question is why some people don't or won't, even when the "writing is on the wall" (please excuse the Biblical reference). Some people would rather remain on the proverbial sinking ship rather than admit their mistake. It is also worth pointing out that some individuals who are unable to change their opinions are actually victims of narcissistic abuse, and have had their own perspective undermined by a malignant narcissist or some other abuser. I feel I agree with you on this. (am I trying to compensate for disagreeing with you from before??!?! ) Anyways, I have seen it, and I think I have had attempts in trying to push me into it. I wonder at a lot of it being the fault of peer pressure. For me, change can come from core honest belief. I can think one can feel they can change their belief, but I would want to know how they found that working for them. Does it stick? Does it do something to their psychic? In my instance, way in the past, it couldn’t. I found that I had an inner war with myself. When I’m now honest with myself, even to the worse understanding of myself, I’m still at peace, because I now can monitor my behavior and outlook to compensate.
  25. Doing God's will.

To be fair, most of those books are littered with examples of so-called holy people doing really unplreasant things that are distinctly unholy. The people who live by those books are a pack of savages for failing to notice the implictly disgusting behavior they are endorsing thru their moral capitulation to those flawed ideologies.
  26. No one chooses what they believe

Micro evolution!!!! Oooooooooooooh!!!! Remember, I never was really great at science and the like. So, I learned something right now. In which, in how the few are arguing, that doesn’t make sense to what is actually making sense and is the case. (Well, I feel it’s the case *shrugs* ) I mean, like I said, I’m not on top of the science thing, but from what I remember in school, didn’t the individual one’s who weren’t born for certain life saving things, died?!?! I would imagine, (and I could be wrong), that things that were individually inherited from possible mutations, were actually just small non-dominant, little glitches and things. Kind of like those rare disorders and/or other things that ‘pop’ up within generations. I personally, wouldn’t put that down as part of any type of evolution. Again, I could be wrong.
  27. The Case Act

I believe I said that about 3 years ago...you owe me $30,000!
  1. Load more activity