Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. No one chooses what they believe

How do we tell the difference between someone who has rejected reality and one who simply doesn't have the same reality and hasn't come to the same conclusion as us? I agree with Cormac that because of all the overwhelming evidence for evolution I cannot choose to not believe in it. Lots of people aren't aware of that evidence, lots of people don't use rational thought processes consistently or understand the validity of the scientific method, some people believe there is a super-powered being who can do anything, and possibly related superbeings who dwell here specifically to deceive us, in this reality. What I believe for me seems to be subconscious. I'm not sure how I go about just changing my belief given a current evidence set; how do we do that, just concentrate really hard and I can change my belief? I'm not even sure I can choose to believe in subjective things, I can't choose to have a different favorite ice cream flavor or favorite rock guitarist. IN which, I always argue about. What I read from you LG, is dead on, I think. I feel that the time or times, I have been ‘encouraged’ to believe something that I didn’t, were examples of how it doesn’t work that way. My inner self, that believed what I really believed was still there and warring with my outer self. I don’t see the honesty there. I feel strongly, that it hurts the individual in the long run.
  3. The Witcher (Neflix)

This made me laugh.
  4. It turned, looked at us and snorted...

I'd like to see the bear that has "roamed" across the entire pacific ocean or crossed the equator from Asia and shake its paw for its enormous effort.
  5. No one chooses what they believe

I'm going to turn over your books to the Untouchables. I wouldn’t worry, Alchopwn, they can’t touch them.
  6. No one chooses what they believe

I bet you're just bad at maths.
  7. The office I work in was built in the 1700's. It's been renovated a few times . No one has ever experienced a thing. My boss has a big old farmhouse in Vermont which has been completely renovated as well. It's gorgeous. He was telling us about pictures that were left in the attic by the original owners dated from the late 1800's. Creeping looking as hell. I asked him and his wife if they have ever experienced anything paranormal. Nope. Nothing. As much as I want to believe in the paranormal, I remain skeptic until I actually see something myself.
  8. No one chooses what they believe

There are a few different issues here. One is overcommitment. Any one of us can become too invested in an idea, even if it doesn't hold up to any critical scrutiny. A classic example of this is how ex-sports identities feel they have lost their identity when they retired and become depressed and even suicidal. This is much the same as what happens to people who are overcommitted to a cause that is seen to fail. Then there is the issue of all the times people have assiduously ignored the occasions when their actions contradict their closely held beliefs, or when they have chosen to belong to an organization that has betrayed its core beliefs. This is when congitive dissonance kicks in. I recommend the last article on the 8 psychological traps for investors, because these mistakes can be made in any part of your life (by analogy), when you emotionally invest in a person or cause. Psychology of fanaticism 11 Signs of Narcissistic Abuse Cognitive dissonance Champions of the lost cause Depression in retired sports people 8 Psychological traps for investors The fact is that anyone can choose to change. The real question is why some people don't or won't, even when the "writing is on the wall" (please excuse the Biblical reference). Some people would rather remain on the proverbial sinking ship rather than admit their mistake. It is also worth pointing out that some individuals who are unable to change their opinions are actually victims of narcissistic abuse, and have had their own perspective undermined by a malignant narcissist or some other abuser. I feel I agree with you on this. (am I trying to compensate for disagreeing with you from before??!?! ) Anyways, I have seen it, and I think I have had attempts in trying to push me into it. I wonder at a lot of it being the fault of peer pressure. For me, change can come from core honest belief. I can think one can feel they can change their belief, but I would want to know how they found that working for them. Does it stick? Does it do something to their psychic? In my instance, way in the past, it couldn’t. I found that I had an inner war with myself. When I’m now honest with myself, even to the worse understanding of myself, I’m still at peace, because I now can monitor my behavior and outlook to compensate.
  9. Doing God's will.

To be fair, most of those books are littered with examples of so-called holy people doing really unplreasant things that are distinctly unholy. The people who live by those books are a pack of savages for failing to notice the implictly disgusting behavior they are endorsing thru their moral capitulation to those flawed ideologies.
  10. No one chooses what they believe

Micro evolution!!!! Oooooooooooooh!!!! Remember, I never was really great at science and the like. So, I learned something right now. In which, in how the few are arguing, that doesn’t make sense to what is actually making sense and is the case. (Well, I feel it’s the case *shrugs* ) I mean, like I said, I’m not on top of the science thing, but from what I remember in school, didn’t the individual one’s who weren’t born for certain life saving things, died?!?! I would imagine, (and I could be wrong), that things that were individually inherited from possible mutations, were actually just small non-dominant, little glitches and things. Kind of like those rare disorders and/or other things that ‘pop’ up within generations. I personally, wouldn’t put that down as part of any type of evolution. Again, I could be wrong.
  11. The Case Act

I believe I said that about 3 years ago...you owe me $30,000!
  12. It turned, looked at us and snorted...

My god the ecological implications of a loose bear in the Australian bush. There's not a lot to eat for a large predator out here infact our largest predator the Dingo has a hard time already and often turns to scavenging human scraps and human babies. Not to mention its hot out here, high 30s most of the year any fully furred animal would over heat quickly. There is actually not that many zoo's that hold bears here in QLD if one had escaped we would all hear about it. BTW Koalas are not bears. I hope ya'll know that. Side note : check out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tibrogargan there's your yowie
  13. No one chooses what they believe

How do we tell the difference between someone who has rejected reality and one who simply doesn't have the same reality and hasn't come to the same conclusion as us? I agree with Cormac that because of all the overwhelming evidence for evolution I cannot choose to not believe in it. Lots of people aren't aware of that evidence, lots of people don't use rational thought processes consistently or understand the validity of the scientific method, some people believe there is a super-powered being who can do anything, and possibly related superbeings who dwell here specifically to deceive us, in this reality. What I believe for me seems to be subconscious. I'm not sure how I go about just changing my belief given a current evidence set; how do we do that, just concentrate really hard and I can change my belief? I'm not even sure I can choose to believe in subjective things, I can't choose to have a different favorite ice cream flavor or favorite rock guitarist.
  14. They are fed a steady diet of lies, misinformation and half truths and they either aren't smart enough or have no interest in figuring out what's really going on.
  15. I think that, according to Plato, the streams winding round the plain from the mountains, really mean a sort of sinuous course that discharged in the plain's ditch and after passing through the city, were, likewise, "let off" into the sea. From the ditch on, there was actually a man made system of canals (straight lines), crosscutting through each other in a intricate pattern pretty much like roads do.
  16. Is God Real

Because the hairless primates (oops, I meant the creatures who were created in the creators image) somehow are powerful enough to screw up the plans of the ultimate gamemaster. At least, according to the mythos of several major theologies.
  17. Is God Real

How come Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Goofy could all talk & wear clothes, but Pluto was just a dog?
  18. Is God Real

Is God real? Yeah, she is. ~
  19. And this is a big indicator.....someone would have talked by now if it had been a hoax. 400,000 people worked on the Apollo 11 mission The full triumph of Apollo 11 doesn’t just belong to the astronauts. It also includes the 400,000 people that supported the mission across the country, mainly at Johnson Space Center in Houston and Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. Young college graduates flocked to NASA after Kennedy’s 1961 speech. During Apollo 11, everyone who could possibly be needed or called upon during the mission was in a room at Cape Canaveral or Houston. They each had a specific task. And they all wanted to be there. They jockeyed for places to plug in their headsets and sat on steps. “It was a can-do attitude,” said Bostick, the flight dynamics team leader. “We were very sober and somber in what we were doing. We took it very seriously. We worked very hard. But at the same time it was fun, we really didn’t think of it as a job, even though we were working 12 hours a day at least, six days a week. We didn’t understand the magnitude of what we were doing.” https://fox40.com/2019/07/20/11-things-to-know-about-the-historic-apollo-11-mission/
  20. Cats can analytically determine the purrfect place to sleep that will cause the most inconvenience. Hmmm ... there is no way one can talk about cats without coming off as somewhat nuts.
  21. According to some quick research, it's a deleted section of the Chrissie's Autopsy scene. The edit is why the dialogue appears messed up.
  22. What makes you deaf to the noise already raised on this one, too? Why it's so noisy that all that din and clatter goes on both day and night, like the noise heard in the Capital, which comes from the Baltimore harbors, especially the clatter of metal from the outer one, a port for container ships, coming from all parts of the world. Plato's Critias. An excerpt. Leaving the palace and passing out across the three harbours, you came to a wall which began at the sea and went all round: this was everywhere distant fifty stadia from the largest zone or harbour, and enclosed the whole, the ends meeting at the mouth of the channel which led to the sea. The entire area was densely crowded with habitations; and the canal and the largest of the harbours were full of vessels and merchants coming from all parts, who, from their numbers, kept up a multitudinous sound of human voices, and din and clatter of all sorts night and day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis
  23. Why aren't humans constantly hallucinating ?

Woah dude, maybe we are and reality isn't what it really is!!! (say that in a stoner voice ;)
  24. I completely agree. Only time will tell as more facts come out.
  25. Is God Real

Is God real? Yes I am.
  1. Load more activity