Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Atheist vs. Agnostic Label

I'm the same. In certain ways magical thinking can have a benefit. Such as an athlete having a "lucky" pair of socks that they won't play without. On the surface it's just socks, in their mind and because they believe the socks are lucky, their performs changes. They might actually play better. I call this a magical placebo. A lot of the times I figure that belief in the afterlife and in ghost is just the fear of death being manifested. Similar to how believing in god might get a sense of certainty in life. Because lets face it, life is pretty much chaotic. However the belief in psychic powers kinda befuddles me.
  3. Russia probes II -- The Mueller Report

The FISA spying warrants WERE based on the fraudulent Steele dossier...and no amount of revisionist history can wish that fact away. This is the questionable "predicate" Barr refers to. Expect to hear MUCH more about this in the very near future.
  4. I need a new podcast to listen to, help

I like two that I listen to often: Monster Talk and Skeptics Guide to the Universe.
  5. {un}holy haiku - 3rd Edition

the contract was signed Dorian checked his portrait in the dying light
  6. Russia probes II -- The Mueller Report

Merc, the Russia investigation was NOT based on the Steele dossier. This has been known for a long time, why do you keep lying about this? The Mueller report clearly puts this to bed once and for all (though we already knew this) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/30/us/politics/how-fbi-russia-investigation-began-george-papadopoulos.html https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-chris-wallace-muellers-russia-investigation-did-not-start-with-steele-dossier-on-trump So will you now please stop falsely claiming that this investigation was started because of the dossier?
  7. Help, what is this thing?

Just part of the paranormal.there's no reason for it.A lot of people say a lot of things,who cares.
  8. Noble's tomb found in Saqqara

Still about 90% of ancient egypt still undiscovered.. Good Find
  9. The iconic "death roll" of alligators and crocodiles may be more common among species than previously believed, according to a new study published in Ethology, Ecology & Evolution and coauthored by a researcher at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Contrary to popular belief, crocodiles can't chew, so they use a powerful bite coupled with a full-bodied twisting motion—a death roll—to disable, kill, and dismember prey into smaller pieces. The lethal movement is characteristic of both alligators and crocodiles and has been featured in numerous movies and nature documentaries. Until now, the death roll had only been documented in a few of the 25 living crocodilian species, but how many actually do it? https://phys.org/news/2019-04-infamous-death-universal-crocodile-species.html
  10. I don't believe you

I'm unsure how you fantasize the people of the past to have been. There is ample evidence that, even if nothing more profound dawned on any of them, people have always understood that whatever evil befalls one person or group could someday befall them or their group. Then or now, this may not rise to a reason for the currently unafflicted to refrain from working evil on those whom they can victimize, but then and now it sure as hell lights a fire under their butts to take precuations against it happening to them. Nobody was ever blind to the evils of slavery. They all paid money toward the common defense, and many served personally. There are other uses of money, and other ways to use your time. But if you let the common defense slip, then you were likely to become somebody's slave, and nobody had to be psychic to foresee that that would be a bad thing, an evil thing. What I can't think of is any truly novel evil. There is a certain sameness to it, as far back as we have records. The technology changes (waterboarding is a genuine advance over the rack), but the general ideas stay the same. Or so it seems to me. I wouldn't worry so much about other posters' levels of education. And slavery is always evil is a not a personal attack, unless you happen to be a slave owner. I'd imagine not. Oh yeah, Sherapy's one of the classiest posters on the board. If her criticisms are more than you can handle, then you're in the wrong place. Maybe you're just too good for the web. Viable is (in American jargon) a weasel word. It gives the appearance of "narrowing the claim," but wink, wink, nod, nod, it doesn't really narrow anything. Moi? I never said it was the only option, I just said that some societies would have collapsed, been defeated militarily, or have created great hardships for everybody in the society if they stopped doing it. Uh, huh. Viable: Don't post bo****ks without it.
  11. tcgram

What is it about upcoming holidays that bring the weird people and situations out in droves??  :blink:

1. Goddess of the Mist

Goddess of the Mist

Haha... yeah

12. Atheist vs. Agnostic Label

Seems like a fitting definition of an Agnostic:
  13. The biography of a stone axe

The Arawak traded as far as Georgia and the Carolinas and there was a trading station site in Savannah that was destroyed and nobody wants to talk about.
  14. Russia probes II -- The Mueller Report

This "Russia thing" was based on the frauduklent, unverifed, Steele dossier. which they knew i was fraudulent when they presented it to the FISA judges. How did they know? Ohr TOLD them so. There was nothing there, as admitted by Strozk to his girlfriend. He is incapable of doing so but does make a good foil for presenting the facts, which he ignores.
  15. R.I.P. Dr. Roger Leir

As I suggested it takes practice to be a good observer. As long as you are going to look around you might as well enjoy the time between UFO sightings. You would be surprised at how many times I've been out looking at the stars and people point out satellites and try to tell their friends it's an alien craft. There were plenty of people back before 2012 that tried to tell people that the stars had changed position, or the Moon was not where it was supposed to be. They just were terrible observers. Do yourself a favor and learn what you might see so that when you do see something you can get an idea if it is unusual and what are the properties of the sighting that are unusual.
  16. Russia probes II -- The Mueller Report

Could be. But then again, I've been told that many times in this thread. And I would gladly admit being wrong. Just haven't had to, so far.
  17. AG Barr confirms spying on Trump campaign

Just a coupla quick questions: 1. Why did William Barr, Attorney General (term used sarcastically) lie repeatedly about Mueller's reason for not (yet) prosecuting the president (term used sarcastically) for obstruction of justice? 2. Why did Sarah Huckabee (Slippery Tongue) Sanders lie about (among other things) the 'countless FBI agents'? 3. Why does William Barr repeatedly use the term collusion, when it is not a legal term? 4. Why did William Barr leave out the first (bolded below) part of the sentence in his initial 'letter'? Barr said "“[T]he investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.” But here’s the full version of that sentence: “Although the investigation established that the Russian government perceived it would benefit from a Trump presidency and worked to secure that outcome, and that the Campaign expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts, the investigation did not establish that members of the Trump Campaign conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities.” Gosh, I wish I knew the answers to those questions.... (j/k)
  18. Such a gyroscope can undoubtedly prove that the earth is round. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope When the earth rotates on its own axis, the earth rotates 360 degrees in 24 hours, which means that 15 degrees is covered per hour. If the earth is flat and does not rotate on its own axis, the gyroscope will not show drift (shift), if the earth does rotate on its own axis in 24 hours, the gyroscope will register a drift of 15 degrees per hour.
  19. Tom Breukel analysed some 250 stone axes from the Caribbean and reconstructed their biographies, thus increasing our knowledge of production and trade in the period around the arrival of Columbus. His Ph.D. defence is on 18 April. Breukel researched how the stone axes – a collective term in archaeology that also includes adzes and chisels – were produced, traded, and used in the Dominican Republic and the Windward Islands between 1200 and 1600. Previous research had already shown that there was intensive barter between the islands in that region: some axes 'travelled' as far as 1000 km to their final destination. https://phys.org/news/2019-04-daily-biography-stone-axe.html
  20. Climate Change is a Hoax

Here is an interesting article that deal with deniers. Oreskes, N. and E.M. Conway. 2011. Merchants of doubt: how a handful of scientists obscured the truth on issues from tobacco smoke to global warming. Bloomsbury Publishing. 355 p. https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=ZeFcCAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=100+reasons+global+warming+is+false&ots=jbBmrAjOc-&sig=Xds_06bLtZu2pGxD9gg0FkRCL0s#v=onepage&q=100 reasons global warming is false&f=false Doug
  21. Atheist vs. Agnostic Label

Yes, I generally find trying to understand why people believe, far more interesting than the belief itself. Not only with god, but the paranormal in general.
  22. Russia probes II -- The Mueller Report

Well, we shall see what happens but I think you will find you are wrong. Though I bet you will never admit it.
  23. marsman

Dog Loves Jumping In Leaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_4aEicC28A

24. Climate Change is a Hoax

Nuclear is a dodgy issue. Fast breeders use re-processed uranium as fuel, reducing the amount of pollutants in the process, but they can have meltdowns, with attendant extreme risks. I think we could use them to reduce the amount of "hot" material being stored, thus reducing energy requirements for that storage (cooling systems, water pumps, etc.) and generate clean power in the process. As for GreenPeace ever going nuclear: Get real. They're very much anti-nuclear. If you don't like NOAA's data, you can always use the HadCrut4 data, available here: Hadley-Crutcher 4 address is: http://hadobs.metoffice.com/ http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcrut3/diagnostics/comparison.html http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcrut4/ NOAA's data only goes back to 1880 and it is a bit iffy before 1892. For the 19th century into the early 20th century, you can use the "Forts" data from the University of Illinois, available here: EV2 Station Data Address: Oklahoma: http://mrcc.sws.uiuc.edu/FORTS/inventory2.jsp "Forts" because it was recorded by the Army Surgeon's Office and Signal Corps; weather stations were always located near a fort. In Oklahoma, these go back to 1824 (Fort Towson) and include Fort Gibson, Fort Sill, Fort Wichita, Fort Reno and Fort Supply. So check it out: As the dataset starts before the last local low of the Little Ice Age, it shows warming. I leave it to you to determine how much is recovery from the Little Ice Age and how much is global warming, but it is a reasonable assumption that before 1850 it was the LIA and after 1909 it was global warming. In between: you decide. The complete set of field notes for all weather stations run by the Weather Bureau and its successors is available on microfilm through the National Archives. That will cost you about $500. Microfilm is a bit inconvenient to work with, so I made a deal with a local library to transfer the data onto pdf files in exchange for a copy. They show hand-written pages when the observer ran out of forms, coffee rings, and include notes about bud break, tornadoes, floods, people killed by lightning, condition of the peach crop and what farmer Jones planted last week. There are gaps where the observer went to a Christmas party and didn't take any observations. About a third of the stations didn't turn in reports for November 23, 1963 - they were watching the news broadcasts of the Kennedy assassination. And then there's Hee Mountain where the observer didn't make any observations on days that were unusually hot or unusually cold. There are also daily records available from some European cities, a few of which go back into the 1700s. But these are isolated datasets and totally inadequate for determining global temps. Before written records, there are proxies, like tree rings, ice cores and well logs. These are listed on the NCDC website. Fifteen tree-ring chronologies listed on that site are mine. NOAA has not changed them. When I discovered a missing ring in the Bokoma Log Pond Chronology, I had NOAA disable the link (It's still there, pending repair). All these proxies have to show a similar pattern. 1855 is a marker ring (It was a drought year and is confirmed by weather observations and Indian history hides. It is narrow in every Oklahoma and Arkansas chronology that goes back that far. You can cross-check a series by cross-dating it against another, nearby series. NOAA couldn't make changes without the original researchers getting wise to it and screaming bloody murder. If you are going to claim global warming is false, then you need a dataset to back you up. Without one, all you are doing is ranting. There is no reason to believe you. If you don't like NOAA's data, then use somebody else's. It is the lack of supporting evidence that makes your claim unbelievable. You won't defeat global warming without it. So pick a dataset and go to work. Doug P.S.: I found Tesla/Musk's site: https://us.blastingnews.com/business/2018/03/tesla-elon-musk-and-the-environment-002461885.html Not one of your 100 reasons is listed on this or any other company or individual site I have found. They came from somebody else. Doug
  25. Russia probes II -- The Mueller Report

What you fail to see is that equal justice under the law is precisely what is about to happen here. The Democrat loonies and their RINO accomplices have pushed the scales so badly off-kilter that returning to balance will feel (to you) like a takeover by extremists. It's not. It's a return to sanity.
  26. Russia probes II -- The Mueller Report

You are wrong and history will show it. There was good reason for a special counsel. Trump brought it upon the country himself when he fired Comey over 'this Russia thing'. Once he did that he put Rod Rosenstein in a very difficult position and really the only legal/ethical/politiically sane thing to do was to appoint a special counsel at that point. Trumps stupidity and shortsightedness drug our country through the mud in this, if he really is as smart as he claims, he would have realized what the outcome of his action was likely to be and he would have been more strategic in how he handled things. This is all his doing, though he will never admit it.
  1. Load more activity