Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past hour
  2. Ah yes! Thank you for your response, Hammie! I think this was wonderfully put. And I hope it's understood, (especially within myself) that there is that clear logical thinking, you can't hold inanimate objects responsible. Kind of like getting angry at the various hurricanes and freak October snow storms for the massive power outages, and various lengths of time, it's not like they did it on purpose! I thank you for understanding. As I have replied to Hammie's post, I feel the same. I wonder though, could you be encouraging forgiveness for yourself, because it's family? I ask, because I wonder if I do that. *shrugs*
  3. It seems that this memo is a list of allegations by republicans - which the democrats will attempt to shoot down. Apparently the FBI have not seen the allegations so haven't had the chance to refute or otherwise. Seems a bit little for all the ho ha it seems to be causing. It would be better to have the memo released to the FBI to answer the allegations in it, and based on that determine its value.
  4. Well if someone threatened Walker with a knife he would hold a freshly sharpened #2 pencil to his attacker's eye and describe how he would push it through the eye into the brain and explain how this would affect the individual. Of course he would be a gentleman about it as he would be in control of his emotions and it would be an act of love not anger. I should add that there would be no self interest involved. jmccr8
  5. I had to make it as PG-13 as possible for the forums sake.
  6. @Socks Junior https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annals_of_the_Former_World
  7. Vlad the Mighty

633,000 views!! 

8. He probably doesn't. But some people have explored that possibility. Courtillot et al., 2007. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5d0a/404c024f1e293fa12c97af1af89c5084914c.pdf
  9. It is not usually a good idea to base your whole reality off of one book. You can only see a very limited version of reality and possibilities from one book. Though a single book may have some truths to it and lessons but it doesn't mean the whole book is correct and could lead you off a cliff.
  10. Did you just try to excuse God's actions by saying "it's cool, he was pally with the Jews so all that murder, persecution, vengeance and hate is justified?"
  11. He did some fantastic work on the Pine Barrens of New Jersey but Jimmy Leek and Charlie Cooper filled him with bull****.
  12. It's as impossible for me to believe in God after reading the original posting as it is for the OP to believe God isn't real. We waste our time if we try to debate it. I have an acquaintance who is an evangelical Christian who recently wrote to me the following: For me of-course, any philosophical debate about the existence of God or Jesus would be as superfluous as a debate about whether my wife Karen exists. My assurance of that fact does not rely on her birth certificate, but on my personal knowledge of her. I might use documents to prove her existence to others if I really needed to, but not to myself. I know this level of certainty or assurance can be irritating to some who don't have it, and there are many things that I'm much less sure about, but some things are so important that we cant afford to spend our lives in doubt, and we don't need to. Not that I was asking him to prove it, but he just can't resist any opportunity to try to "convert" me. In fact I think many Christians see agnostics/atheists as a challenge which is a bit of a bore. Now - if he could show me a birth certificate of God that would be something! But I think it all hinges on the OP's final sentence "But you have to have faith" - where can I get faith from? It's as impossible for me to have faith as it would be to be told I must fall in love with somebody. Mind you I can see the advantages of having it - indeed the OP proves that.
  13. The static fire test of SpaceX' Falcon Heavy rocket will be delayed until the U.S. government partial shutdown is resolved. This test involves loading fuel aboard the rocket, and firing its engines, while the rocket remains on the launch pad. It is intended to show that the rocket is ready for an actual launch. Please find a link, below to an article with more details: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/22/16918464/spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket-static-fire-delayed-shutdown
  14. Viruses are everywhere, maybe even in space
  15. That is true, and I will be on the look out and will keep you guys updated. Thank you for all your help and considerations! I appreciate it!
  16. So if someone stabs you then you wouldn't feel any pain? I wasn't just talking about emotional pain but actual physical pain which is just as emotional as anything else. I never said there was, I said that you cannot control your reaction to certain external stimuli. These are called reflex actions and they can trigger the release of adrenalin (actually Epinephrine) into the body. This in turn will provoke an autonomous physical effect in your body that is not under your conscious control and can affect your emotional state. I'm actually bored of arguing this point with you as you really don't seem to get it at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex Digest the above. Very important for you to understand before you read further. I feel sorry for you in this case. To never have a feeling be evoked in you by poetry, art or music, to only have those feelings you choose to construct must make the world a very boring and insular place to be. It goes a long way to explaining some stuff though. Again you fail to understand. Your environment does not control your response and I never stated that it did (except in reflex). Environmental stimuli make you FEEL the emotion and in this you have no choice, but you can in most cases CHOOSE how to REACT to those feelings. You really need to catch up on your science reading: http://theconversation.com/it-feels-instantaneous-but-how-long-does-it-really-take-to-think-a-thought-42392
  17. Ha yes, I know what you mean and that is exactly what my first thought was. But she has her own room and just got back two days before me super sweet girl, there’s no way. We both don’t use any self tanners so that is ruled out, also I was the last one to leave the apartment and when I did I took all my bed sheets off. So if someone was “getting rough” on my bed there was probably be more evidence to marks being on my bed that would probably be hard to get off more because of its material. Since the head board is I want to say fake leather some sort of material like that.
  18. Would that then be your self interest because you need to make a value for yourself? jmccr8
  19. That surely is a matter of faith.
  20. XenoFish

There is something beautiful in the cut that a new end mill makes.

1. Grandpa Greenman

Grandpa Greenman

Nice to find beauty in unexpected places. Makes the day.

2. XenoFish

XenoFish

So shiny, so chrome.:lol:

21. That's your comprehension skills.
  22. I think that communication with the general public is not the main goal of technical research articles. That being said, I also think technicality and dryness are not intrinsically related - scientists can do better about making their articles more readable even to their own peers. It is possible to write papers that are both technically sound and flow well, but, as you know, it is a skill. One that is not emphasized as much as it should be. Interesting idea about the specialized writing major. Not a bad idea; one can always tell if a journalist has a good grasp of both the technical aspects and the writing aspects of their craft in more broad appeal science stories. See, for example, the (slightly dated) works of John McPhee for fantastically written pieces that still do some justice to the science.
  23. Pocketed by patrons.
  24. Well I don't think all these computer screens are good for our eyes. We have screens practically everywhere now.
  25. tcgram

I believe I have posted this on my profile before, but one of my favorites.  

The Final Analysis

People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.  Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.  Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.  Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.  Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.  Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.  Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten.  Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.  Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them,    

anyway.   

26. I wouldn't have a problem if this was amount emotional healing. That finding Jesus helped someone find the strength to pull through depression. I can full understand the emotional healing aspect, I get that. If a person was to pray for the ability to make it through a rough patch in life, and they found the motivation to do so. I see no problem. But selective physical healing, that's where I draw the line.
  1. Load more activity