Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dragon? Real or Hoax?

Lionel

user posted image

With tiny teeth and claws, a little tail and soft-looking white skin, could this really be what it seems - a baby dragon?Highly unlikely of course, but this disturbingly realistic model almost had the experts fooled.The dragon, suspended in a jar of what is thought to be formaldehyde, is believed to be the brainchild of German scientists who wanted to humiliate their English counterparts in the 1890s, when the rivalry between the two countries was intense.

Had they pulled it off it would have been one of the greatest hoaxes of all time.

However, according to documents found with it, the Natural History Museum turned the dragon away, possibly because they suspected it was a trick.

It was then sent to be destroyed. But it appears a porter intercepted the 2 1/2 ft-high jar and took it home. Now the dragon has surfaced in an Oxfordshire garage.

The papers say the porter was either a man known only as Moredun, or a Frederick Hart - whose grandson David found the jar containing the dragon in his garage last month.

Mr Hart, 58 , from Sutton Courtenay, said: 'My father, George, who is dead now, left it at my house when he moved away from London about 20 years ago.

Source

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blood Angel

• Fluffybunny

• joc

• soulfire78

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ohmy.gif Wow that is a real work of art, especially for the time period.

I think that is amazing! It is apparantly a hoax,But the detail is shocking and it is truly beatiful to look at.If it is fake and no museum wants it it will be worth at least several hundred thousand dollars at a art show.

wow, thats a really good piece of art there, that is, assuming its not real. which im sure its not.

i want one!

I watched a movie on the scifi channel last night about these people who

cloned a dragon. Did anyone else see it? Pretty cool.

post-34-1075055821.gif

I watched a movie on the scifi channel last night about these people who

cloned a dragon. Did anyone else see it? Pretty cool.

I have seen that one before, its got the guy from "The New Adventures Of Superman". Suffice to say i thought the movie was pretty lame on acting and storyline.....

It would be great if this little dragon were for real, its so neat looking. I guess only time will tell.

amazing! I really do hope its real.. *sigh* that would be one of the most grandest things! It looks so real.. i wonder if he took the top off and felt it.. lol

Beth Ro

I have seen that one before, its got the guy from "The New Adventures Of Superman". Suffice to say i thought the movie was pretty lame on acting and storyline.....

You mean that it wasn't the BEST movie you've ever seen?!

Gotta totally agree....

Started me thinking about dragons though.

post-34-1075134924.gif

Thanks for the article. It is indeed very neat looking. The shape of the head looks very much like that of a baby theropod.. maybe he used one as a model?

Wow, great picture..cute little guy... Looks like baby Norbert from Harry Potter...

Of course they always grow up and run off to eat people and burn down villages...

Of course they always grow up and run off to eat people and burn down villages...

Yeah my family said the same thing about me >_>;;

I wonder when it will show up on e-bay?huh.gif

"Get the one and only genuine original dragon hoax in a jar, limited time only, no reserve!" w00t.gif

*pulls out credit card and waits for bidding to begin...* rolleyes.gif

"Get the one and only genuine original dragon hoax in a jar, limited time only, no reserve!" w00t.gif

"Get the one and only genuine original Haunted dragon hoax in a jar, limited time only, no reserve!"

Yeah, thats better...

"Haunted" makes everything sell better on ebay... tongue.gif

I have to say, I wish it was real. Maybe it's a youth filled with reading the literature of writers such as Tolkien and McCaffery... but I've always dreamed about dragons being more than just a myth; even though I should know better.

the head does indeed resemble a late jurrasic theropod, but somthing about the hip/leg/crotch area looks rigged. OK, call me a pervert for checking out baby dragons crotches, or call me observant, but that part doesnt look natural. also, the hands look more like a mammals than a reptiles, but its a dragon.

::Looks over at pitiful drawings and even pitiful-er sculptures. crying.gif ::

Lol. Anyway, I love this, it's really cool. I want one!

However, it would have been even neater if it was a real dragon! Hey, a girl can hope, no?

Cya!

wow, nice dragon...however there are real dragons living out is South Asia, they look like really big lizards but they do not stand on their back legs like the picture.

I also heard a while back that some people found dragons remains which have impressions of feathers -like birds- on rocks, sometimes these dragons were dinosaurs.

whistling2.gif

Everything we know about dragons is basicaly from legend and myth. If it is a hoax, then, that's all they had going for them as well. If it's real, hey, now we know what a baby dragon looks like.

I for one, do hope it's real. Never really gave up hope on mythological beasts existing. Call me a dreamer....

*sigh* ahhhhh.....

i wish wub.gif wouldnt it be cool if it was real! a real dragon!....*longer, more thoughtful sigh* ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................