Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Heavy metal-eating "superworms" unearthed

UM-Bot

news icon rNewly evolved "superworms" that feast on toxic waste could help cleanse polluted industrial land, a new study says. These hardcore heavy metal fans, unearthed at disused mining sites in England and Wales, devour lead, zinc, arsenic, and copper.

The earthworms excrete a slightly different version of the metals, making them easier for plants to suck up.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: National Geographic

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BiffSplitkins

• Bish815

• chaoszerg

• Wickian

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is very interesting. I guess evolution will always find a way around something.

I think I would call it genetically mutated itself to adopt its environment :sk

Evolution took lots of years but when you say mutation something altered the genes of that particular animal.

Evolution Argument:

The idea that nature allows this to happen without human intervention is no

surprise or cause for alarm to me. I think it is obvious that nature

allows some mutations to survive because of the practical application of a

mutation over those without such a mutation. A rabbit with a slight

mutation in its legs may be allowed by use of the mutation to run faster and

thus survive more often. If two rabbits with such a mutation get together

and breed, then you have evolution the new mutation may take over or form a

sub-species. the length of the leg would seem to be part of a complex design

that is too complex to map, but if you map it one mutation at a time it is

easy to understand. :clap::tsu::gun:

Article goes on to say a special protein wraps the metal in the 'superworm' to prevent interaction. Cool immune system.

Awesome technology are the x-rays that tracked the metal particles in the 'superworms'.

Same way the wolves went to the dogs, human garbage.

Hmm, all nature will continue to evolve around humans, overtaking them.

(Referring to the mutant fish (goonch) eating human flesh, in India.)

I heard the worms work more effectively if Judas Priest or Iron Maiden is blaring in the background while they eat :D

I heard the worms work more effectively if Judas Priest or Iron Maiden is blaring in the background while they eat :D

At first I thought these worms were eating heavy metal cd's.

I seen a program on TV it showed that plants will do better it it is played heavy metal music. They tested talking with normal tone voices, yelling , opera music & I don't remember what eles they had on their. But that the green house that only played metal music plants grew the best. I think it was on the show Myth Busters, I'll have to look it up.

I seen a program on TV it showed that plants will do better it it is played heavy metal music. They tested talking with normal tone voices, yelling , opera music & I don't remember what eles they had on their. But that the green house that only played metal music plants grew the best. I think it was on the show Myth Busters, I'll have to look it up.

Sha-weeeet :tu:

Next thing you know the PMRC will have to put ratings on music CD's for plants too :(

From the TV show Myth Buster:

Talking helps plants grow.

plausible

Seven small greenhouses were set up on the M5 Industries roof. Four were set up with stereos playing endlessly looping recordings (as having the Mythbusters actually talk to the plants could contaminate the samples with their expelled carbon dioxide): Two of negative speech, two of positive speech (Kari and Scottie each made one positive and one negative soundtrack), a fifth with classical music and a sixth with intense death metal music. A seventh greenhouse, used as a control sample, had no stereo. The greenhouses with the recordings of speech grew better than the control, regardless of whether such talk was kind or angry. The plants in the greenhouse with the recording of classical music grew better, while the plants in the greenhouse with the recording of intense death metal grew best of all.

Sha-weeeet :tu:

Next thing you know the PMRC will have to put ratings on music CD's for plants too :(

Yeah it's a shame :rolleyes:

DEAR GOD - I just remembered this movie from the 70's

SQUIRM

The evolving wont stop there.

They will soon evolve into the sand worms from the movie Dune.

DEAR GOD - I just remembered this movie from the 70's

SQUIRM

Actually, I prefered Humanoids From The Deep, and C.H.U.D.

lmao

I prefered Humanoids From The Deep,

That was just a excuse to make a very soft xxx movie.

Edited by chaoszerg

I think I would call it genetically mutated itself to adopt its environment :sk

Evolution took lots of years but when you say mutation something altered the genes of that particular animal.

That's what evolution is. A genetic mutation in favor of a changing environment.

Oh no.. I can see it now.. big white misspelled signs saying "Metal wroms are evil! Save uor landfills!" and a bunch of activists marching on.. well just about anyone who claims its evolution.

on a side note.. why does the England get all the good freaks?

That was just a excuse to make a very soft xxx movie.

I think most B-grade drive in movies were the same :yes:

I think most B-grade drive in movies were the same :yes:

70's drive-in movies are great! I love them :yes:

Evolution still works :)

Next phase might be:

linked-image

Friggin sweet, I used to play that game for hours on end :yes:

I've been waiting for these guys to show up on land! It's about time! There are creatures in the oceans that do the same thing. Now all that is left is some animals to evolve and be able to ingest and proccess plastics and stirofoam and this planet will be in good shape again after the humans all die out! Booya! :w00t:

That's what evolution is. A genetic mutation in favor of a changing environment.

So.. Your saying it has been evolving itself long long ago? And Has it breed already? :unsure:

So.. Your saying it has been evolving itself long long ago? And Has it breed already? :unsure:

Worms have been evolving for as long as they have been around. Unless this a species that has avoided discovery all these years, it has just recently changed to digest heavy metals in toxic soil. We already have observed evolution with bacteria in a sealed environment evolving the ability to digest new nutrients that species is incapable of processing. That was just in a few decades.

Depending on how old these mines are that they were found in, the worms have had a lot more time. It could also be pure coincidence that they mutated to digest that soil too.

Edited by Wickian

It seems amazing to me that a mutation would develop this ability. It just seems a bit more like they were mutated as a result creationist thing more then an survival of the fittist evolutionary thing.