Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Court orders new psychiatric tests on Breivik

Still Waters

A court in Norway has ordered a new psychiatric evaluation of mass killer Anders Behring Breivik after an earlier report found him legally insane.

Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen said in Oslo that the new evaluation was necessary because of widespread criticism of the initial findings.

On the basis of the earlier report, Breivik would be placed in psychiatric care instead of prison.

His twin attacks on 22 July left 77 people dead and 151 injured.

arrow3.gifRead more...

A previous thread -

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218373&st=0&p=4129592&hl=anders%20behring%20breivik&fromsearch=1entry4129592

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eldorado

• Paracelse

• Raptor Witness

• Cute_Gingrich

They should hang him by the ankles from a lamp-post in the city square and just leave him there to the mercy of the people and the elements. He's not worth the trouble or cost of a trial. IMO, of course.

They should hang him by the ankles from a lamp-post in the city square and just leave him there to the mercy of the people and the elements. He's not worth the trouble or cost of a trial. IMO, of course.

He deserves a fair trial and fair treatment like anyone else. As long as he is separated from society he won't pose a risk to anyone, and hurting him for the sake of revenge won't solve a single thing.

I think anyone that can do that is obviously insane. Doesn't mean they're any less guilty of their crime and don't need to be handled accordingly.

I agree with you completely garbage man; justice isn't about revenge.

Not to make light of the situation, but this immediately came to mind:

20080304.gif

He deserves a fair trial and fair treatment like anyone else. As long as he is separated from society he won't pose a risk to anyone, and hurting him for the sake of revenge won't solve a single thing.

There's nothing to solve. He's a cold, calculating, callous butcher and he deserves to be butchered too. IMO.

Edited by Eldorado

There's nothing to solve. He's a cold, calculated, callous butcher and deserves to be butchered too. IMO.

Well seeing as Norway hasn't had the death penalty for some time now; I doubt that is going to happen. I don't know what the public attitude is like in Norway; but undoubtably some are calling for his death. It'll be interesting to if Norway "sticks to it's guns" with it's current stance on capital punishment in the face of such a heinous act.

There's nothing to solve. He's a cold, calculating, callous butcher and he deserves to be butchered too. IMO.

This is exactly how he appears to me as well. He walked around for a couple of hours executing young people who'd done no harm to him. He skillfully prepared for the crime and has shown no remorse. I would make da**ed sure he was insane before I simply put him in a mental facility. This man killed 77 human beings. No question of that and no question he should forfeit his life.

It'll be interesting to if Norway "sticks to it's guns" with it's current stance on capital punishment in the face of such a heinous act.

It will stick to it's guns, there's no way we'll reinstate capital punishment now. Doing so would compromise the ideals we were built on.

It will stick to it's guns, there's no way we'll reinstate capital punishment now. Doing so would compromise the ideals we were built on.

ahhhh uffda!!!!

:tu:

Changing any piece of liberal laws due to Breivik would mean he won. That is the last thing Norwegians want.

I think we should call it "lone wolf" syndrome, and study it carefully in an institutional setting. He's highly unique in the length of time he prepared for a single kill.

Some of these could be triggered by over population anxiety of some kind, which is what a lone wolf is all about to begin with.

I think we should call it "lone wolf" syndrome, and study it carefully in an institutional setting. He's highly unique in the length of time he prepared for a single kill.

Some of these could be triggered by over population anxiety of some kind, which is what a lone wolf is all about to begin with.

With respect, Raptor... "Lone Wolf" sounds too cool and does not accurately describe spree killers.

How about, "Selfish, Murdering Bas***d" Syndrome"?

With respect, Raptor... "Lone Wolf" sounds too cool and does not accurately describe spree killers.

How about, "Selfish, Murdering Bas***d" Syndrome"?

It's a description commonly used to describe this sort of behavior. Emotional reactions to danger, put us all in greater danger.

It's a description commonly used to describe this sort of behavior. Emotional reactions to danger, put us all in greater danger.

Tis hard to have an emotion-free opinion of a massacre, imo, unless you are a cold, unfeeling person. This guy will live to a ripe old age, enjoying meals, entertainment, health care etc... all provided by the Norwegian tax-payers. His victims on the other hand.... they have either no future at all to enjoy, or in the case of the survivors, a future plagued by the memory of what happened that day.

There's no justice in that. IMO.

Edited by Eldorado

:tu:

Changing any piece of liberal laws due to Breivik would mean he won. That is the last thing Norwegians want.

Basically what you 2 are saying is the Nureemberg people should have been placed in mental institutions?

Basically what you 2 are saying is the Nureemberg people should have been placed in mental institutions?

How is that saying that? The Nuremburg trials occurred before the abolition of the death penalty...

How is that saying that? The Nuremburg trials occurred before the abolition of the death penalty...

It s not the way I understood their statement: My understanding was they believe death penalty at anytime would be barbarian.

It s not the way I understood their statement: My understanding was they believe death penalty at anytime would be barbarian.

I don't think that's what they're saying at all... they're saying that since the death penalty is now illegal in Norway any attempt to reinstate it based purely on one individual case would be a massive step backwards, and not likely to happen.

I don't think that's what they're saying at all... they're saying that since the death penalty is now illegal in Norway any attempt to reinstate it based purely on one individual case would be a massive step backwards, and not likely to happen.

In what sense would the death penalty would be a step backward? Oh yeah now the trend is to remove responsabilities to all: it s not his fault poor man/woman had terrible childhood etc.. ad nauseum

In what sense would the death penalty would be a step backward? Oh yeah now the trend is to remove responsabilities to all: it s not his fault poor man/woman had terrible childhood etc.. ad nauseum

What kind of message would it send out for a country to change its laws based one one crime? You can't stand against the death penalty - as Norway does - and then make an exception for one particular crime.

Godwin's law does not trump Norwegian law.

Edited by Garbage man

Godwin's law does not trump Norwegian law.

Which allows criminals to be free to start all over again in few years.... and by the way, Godwin's law should be called Godwin's red herring in some cases!

Tis hard to have an emotion-free opinion of a massacre, imo, unless you are a cold, unfeeling person. This guy will live to a ripe old age, enjoying meals, entertainment, health care etc... all provided by the Norwegian tax-payers. His victims on the other hand.... they have either no future at all to enjoy, or in the case of the survivors, a future plagued by the memory of what happened that day.

There's no justice in that. IMO.

Justice isn't about making the victims feel better, in theory anyway. It isn't about revenge, but protection.

Do I feel for the victims? Sure I do, but I also recognize the importance of preserving this unique figure to figure out how someone could plot such an act for years. This guy is a treasure trove of information on the predatory human mind, and don't kid yourself, there are analysts world wide who would give almost anything to question him.

Here's a lesson on the law, that you might remember ...