Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Test tube hamburgers to be served this year

Still Waters

The world's first test tube hamburger will be served up this October after scientists perfected the art of growing beef in the lab.

By generating strips of meat from stem cells researchers believe they can create a product that is identical to a real burger.

The process of culturing the artificial meat in the lab is so laborious that the finished product, expected to arrive in eight months' time, will cost about £220,000 (EUR250,000).

But researchers expect that after producing their first patty they will be able to scale up the process to create affordable artificial meat products.

arrow3.gifRead more...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9092779/Vegan-campaigners-savour-test-tube-burger-breakthrough.html

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coffey

• Verneph

• Rlyeh

• and-then

Perhaps they could grow human meat using this method.

Perhaps they could grow human meat using this method.

I'm sure that's where the real money would be. Skin grafting and organ replacement. I keep thinking of the opening to the movie I AM LEGEND where a doctor is talking about a common virus being tweaked to cure all cancers. Then it mutates and nearly wipes humans off the face of the earth. These genomic researchers are playing with potentially catastrophic toys. Even if it is for an admirable reason. :ph34r:

I like the vote. 72% said they wouldn't eat the meat. Personally I don't fancy it myself :)

test tube meat ..... i think i will pass on that one, to me there will always be something in the back of my mind saying this isn't right and what else are they putting in this

Personally I don't care what it's made of. If I'm after some greasy food all that matters is that it tastes good. Bring on the test-tube hamburger!

Test tube Meat: A Clear Conscience... I'd definitly eat this and it's the way forward.

Real beef/pork: Mass slaughtering of animals, Large amounts of pollution from farming and methane from animals. Animal cruelty etc etc.

I was a test tube baby. My mum wanted me to have a womb with a view :rofl:

edit,,,sorry, couldnt help it :)

Edited by Englishgent

I'm sure that's where the real money would be. Skin grafting and organ replacement. I keep thinking of the opening to the movie I AM LEGEND where a doctor is talking about a common virus being tweaked to cure all cancers. Then it mutates and nearly wipes humans off the face of the earth. These genomic researchers are playing with potentially catastrophic toys. Even if it is for an admirable reason. :ph34r:

Actually I was implying to use the meat for food.

Test tube Meat: A Clear Conscience... I'd definitly eat this and it's the way forward.

Real beef/pork: Mass slaughtering of animals, Large amounts of pollution from farming and methane from animals. Animal cruelty etc etc.

Yep! destroying animal embryos to get at those hard to get stem cells

I think I'll just stick to actual meat, thanks.

Yep! destroying animal embryos to get at those hard to get stem cells

I almost spat out my drink when I read that bit! :lol:

Edited by Verneph

I bet mc Donalds are rubbing their hands over this!

I bet they aren't. It's probably far, far cheaper for them to keep using actual meat.

Spam?

I bet they aren't. It's probably far, far cheaper for them to keep using actual meat.

Actual meat? LMFAO

this faux-meat has been around for some time now, the hurdle was people were reluctant to eat it.

apparently 72% of people still have common sense and maintain they will refuse to eat this meat.

good.

what's next? stretch milk a little further by adding melamine? oh wait, that's been done.

[edit] ...and this new faux-meat, that's going to be "owned" by a company, isn't it? ..and they're protected by various laws so they don't have to disclose their chemical secrets on their food packaging labels.. hmmm, i can see where all this is going to end up...

Edited by unit

Funny that, cause it's BS. I've eaten Mcdonalds burgers just like 90% of the western world. They taste like cardboard if you take away the sauce etc. Compare a McDonals burger to a real beef burger or a steak. It's absolutely rank.