Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evil religions of the ancient world

TheCosmicMind

Does anyone know of any ancient "evil" religions? And before anyone says Christianity, Islam or something else like that... I've heard it before, so you might as well save it, I'm looking for a religion that actually purports to be evil, such as demon worship, or something along those lines.

• Like 1

Most things that are 'evil' are only evil to those that aren't them. Most religions have a 'good' that they want you to follow, and a 'bad' that they want you to avoid. A lot of ancient religions/spiritualities had cults/sect/groups that followed what was 'bad' about the religion, instead of what was 'good'.

On that note, I'm not familiar with any religions that were evil/bad under the banner of 'being evil just to be evil'.

Sorry.

• Like 1

Religions are all subject to whom ever is practicing it .No religion is created with a premise to be evil . How it is viewed by outsiders makes it evil ,from another person's view point .

There are probably many religions that can be deemed "evil",depending upon who is asked ,but religions are all at different levels of enlightenment,because of created it .

The more unenlightened a society,the chances of religions therein will be just as unenlightened ,are about 100% .

• Like 1

All religions are evil at some time or other since the first man who wanted to rule the tribe but was to weak so he became the next best thing a religious nutter who could control the people of he's village.

• Like 1

All religions are evil at some time or other since the first man who wanted to rule the tribe but was to weak so he became the next best thing a religious nutter who could control the people of he's village.

Hm...

I don't think I can agree with this...

Early man never occurred to me as a)religious or b)scheming.

I think you're more looking at the effect, rather than the cause. Besides, a spiritual connection to nature isn't really the same as a religion.

I am assuming you are talking about early man because of the use of the word 'tribe', but correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, the closest I can come up with is the Aztec religion, given the number of people that were sacrificed. But it doesn't really fit into the mold I am thinking of mainly because, as I understand it, they were doing so in order to prevent the world from ending...though granted I'm no expert in it by any stretch of the imagination so I may be over simplifying it. I'd be looking more for a religion that sacrificed humans in order to gain personal power maybe, or just to inflict harm for the sake of inflicting harm, or to appease some malevolent demon/god. I've read a little into a "real life temple of doom" in Peru, I think, but I'm not sure if they fit into what I'm thinking about.

• Like 1

Well, the closest I can come up with is the Aztec religion, given the number of people that were sacrificed. But it doesn't really fit into the mold I am thinking of mainly because, as I understand it, they were doing so in order to prevent the world from ending...though granted I'm no expert in it by any stretch of the imagination so I may be over simplifying it. I'd be looking more for a religion that sacrificed humans in order to gain personal power maybe, or just to inflict harm for the sake of inflicting harm, or to appease some malevolent demon/god. I've read a little into a "real life temple of doom" in Peru, I think, but I'm not sure if they fit into what I'm thinking about.

From what I have seen of the Aztecs, while they were bloodthirsty, it was to appease their gods, and therefore, as you said, prevent the world from ending. It wasn't, as you said earlier, evil for the sake of being evil. Keep trying though; who knows what you'll find.

I'd be looking more for a religion that sacrificed humans in order to gain personal power maybe, or just to inflict harm for the sake of inflicting harm, or to appease some malevolent demon/god.

Thuggees come to mind, but at the bottom of that wiki entry:

"According to some sources, especially old colonial sources, Thuggee believe they have a positive role, saving humans' lives. Without Thuggee's sacred service, Kali might destroy all the human kind:"

I guess no one wants to admit that what they do is wrong. Even Satanists believe they are a force for good.

Edited by redhen
  • Like 2

Does anyone know of any ancient "evil" religions? And before anyone says Christianity, Islam or something else like that... I've heard it before, so you might as well save it, I'm looking for a religion that actually purports to be evil, such as demon worship, or something along those lines.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that TheCosmicMind is looking for ancient religions that embraced the darker aspects of the mind.

The Middle Eastern Yezidi religion embraces Melek Tauus, the Peacock God who is very closely aligned with Lucifer.

The Gauls worshiped a very dark aspect of Mercury

Mesopotamian religions treaded heavily into demonic worship

The Gnostics worshiped Lucifer as well

Jewish Mysticism developed the Tree of Daath containing the purely evil Qliphoth

• Like 3

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. I'm sure there's lots of small cults into practicing evil throughout history. As to why I'm asking about this, it's just out of curiosity. If I aspired to be evil myself, my first goal would be to get a PhD rather than an evil religion (a la Dr. Doom, Dr. Octopus, Doctor Polaris, etc.)

• Like 3

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. I'm sure there's lots of small cults into practicing evil throughout history. As to why I'm asking about this, it's just out of curiosity. If I aspired to be evil myself, my first goal would be to get a PhD rather than an evil religion (a la Dr. Doom, Dr. Octopus, Doctor Polaris, etc.)

What about a PhD in Horribleness?

What about the religions that burned people at the stake, or drowned people to see if they were witches? Not to mention stoning people and crucifying them.

Wow, it's almost as if you didn't read the OP...

• Like 2

What about the religions that burned people at the stake, or drowned people to see if they were witches? Not to mention stoning people and crucifying them.

I'd rather this thread doesn't turn into an "all religions are evil" thread and then religious people coming in to defend their choice religions. That could go on forever, and I'm sure we've all heard all the arguments from both sides enough to last a lifetime. But see my post about the Aztec religion, that's not what I'm looking for here.

Edited by TheCosmicMind
  • Like 1

Theres no truely evil religions just evil people using them in the wrong way.

The Thugee are the first to spring to mind. Any of the cults that followed a specific "Evil" god of any pantheon would be an evil religion cult. So followers of Surtur (Norse), the Fire Giant, who wants to bring about Ragnaroc would probably be an evil cult, since all it would be about is burning stuff down to bring on the end of the world.

Evil is also a word that changes due to the References of culture, time, location and such. So what we, in the 21st century, in the USA, might consider Evil, might be considered totally necessary within its reference. Example being the Aztecs. If you tried to practice the Aztec relgion with human sacrifices, as it was practiced 500 years ago, that would considered Evil today. Same with many smaller and earlier religions. They all were much more brutal and required acts and sacrifices that we'd not tolerate in society today.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that TheCosmicMind is looking for ancient religions that embraced the darker aspects of the mind.

The Middle Eastern Yezidi religion embraces Melek Tauus, the Peacock God who is very closely aligned with Lucifer.

The Gauls worshiped a very dark aspect of Mercury

Mesopotamian religions treaded heavily into demonic worship

The Gnostics worshiped Lucifer as well

Jewish Mysticism developed the Tree of Daath containing the purely evil Qliphoth

The Yezidi religion is mayby considered to be evil by Kurdish and Turkish muslims because of Melek Taus, but mainly because the Yezidis do not have an official 'holy book'.

And yes, Melek Taus is Lucifer, but was forgiven for his sins and granted permission to return and lead 'his' people again.

So it's a bit different from 'our' Lucifer.

Edited by Abramelin

What About Satanism And Those Kind Of Cults?? I Know There Are Different Kinds Of Satanic Cults And Not All Of Them Rape Babies And Those Kind Of Stuff They Are Usually Accused Of, But They Don't Seem To Be Really Benevolent .. So Could They Be Considered Evil?

The Yezidi religion is mayby considered to be evil by Kurdish and Turkish muslims because of Melek Taus, but mainly because the Yezidis do not have an official 'holy book'.

And yes, Melek Taus is Lucifer, but was forgiven for his sins and granted permission to return and lead 'his' people again.

So it's a bit different from 'our' Lucifer.

It's not different from "MY" Lucifer

What About Satanism And Those Kind Of Cults?? I Know There Are Different Kinds Of Satanic Cults And Not All Of Them Rape Babies And Those Kind Of Stuff They Are Usually Accused Of, But They Don't Seem To Be Really Benevolent .. So Could They Be Considered Evil?

There aren't any Satanic organizations which promote the harming of another or the interference of another's Will, that would go against their core beliefs.

The demented cults you are thinking of are just sick individuals using Satanism as an excuse for what they do.

• Like 1

Have there been any documented cases of a cult in modern times that has actually sacrificed babies?

Have there been any documented cases of a cult in modern times that has actually sacrificed babies?

There has never been one documented case of murder, rape, or a felony attached to any Satanic organization that I know about.

Heck, I recall Dr. Aquino stating that he has never even received a traffic violation!

Those of us on the True LHP have no interest in such things as murder, rape, slavery, or anything to do with the oppression of another's Will . . . we leave that to organized religion :innocent: