Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Marine Creature washed up on beach

xCrimsonx

Mystery creature washes ashore

Mystery marine creature washes up on Pukehina Beach in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand. The mystery of a marine creature which washed up on a New Zealand beach and created an online stir appears to have been solved.

The creature was washed up on a Bay of Plenty beach and filmed by a group of quad bikers before being washed back out to sea, reports The Bay of Plenty Times.

http://au.news.yahoo...stery-creature/

Looks well spooky! O.o

• Like 1

Looks well spooky! O.o

And it doesn't help to imagine the thing suddenly leaping up at the camera in the video :w00t:

• Like 2

Argh can't see the video, doesn't load it. Is it on youtube at all or is there a pic? If someone could post it please, it would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

Argh can't see the video, doesn't load it. Is it on youtube at all or is there a pic? If someone could post it please, it would be much appreciated.

[media=]

[/media]

I think that's the one.

Edit: Oh, wow, I just pasted the link and the video shows up. Fancy that.

Edited by Mnemonix
  • Like 2

It's a killer whale carcass - as the article says. :yes:

Edit: Here's a 3D surface rendering of a False Killer Whale:

False%20Killer%20Whale%200002_0.jpg

But yes he looks kind of silly and spooky without his proper birthday suit on!!! :w00t:

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 4

I think that's the one.

Edit: Oh, wow, I just pasted the link and the video shows up. Fancy that.

Thank you.

Yeah I like the way UM does that, always does it with youtube links. Very handy.

Definitively think it's a Killer whale or False killer whale.

• Like 1

It could be my ex-mother-in-law.

• Like 4

From the article:

However,the clip was sent to marine mammal expert Anton van Helden and he reckons the creature could be a killer whale.

“The video pans over the flipper and it is a flat paddle shape which is diagnostic of the killer whale,” he said.

“It is very typical for whales of different shapes and sizes to wash up on beaches around New Zealand.”

• Like 1

From the article:

However,the clip was sent to marine mammal expert Anton van Helden and he reckons the creature could be a killer whale.

“The video pans over the flipper and it is a flat paddle shape which is diagnostic of the killer whale,” he said.

“It is very typical for whales of different shapes and sizes to wash up on beaches around New Zealand.”

Yep!

A better thread title: 'Mystery marine creature is killer whale'

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 2

When I saw it, I felt it was just some decomposed animal, but not sure what kind. Things have a habit of looking odd when decomposing.

When I saw it, I felt it was just some decomposed animal, but not sure what kind. Things have a habit of looking odd when decomposing.

Yeah it would be kind of weird if things didn't decompose. The world would just be covered in dead things getting eaten by living things which look exactly the same.

At least the meat would stay fresh.

• Like 1

mammal teeth ...... dolphin or killer whale .... 30 foot so killer whale most likely

• Like 1

Hmmmm....the head looks just like a t rex head. The teeth ...dunno. its cool is its real ,but I call shenanigans .

Let's keep an eye on what they may find if they move it to a facility for investigation .

• Like 1

Orca

tumblr_m41hqjsYh41qg90uno1_500.jpg

Nibs

• Like 1

Yeah the head does look like a T-rex, but ill bet it is a Killer whale! Be nice to know the results DNA etc.

• Like 1

I say it's not a killer whale. More fun that way... :)

• Like 2

I would go for 'Killed Whale' rather than 'Killer whale' in this instance...

• Like 2

I say it's not a killer whale. More fun that way... :)

Its a loving whale ... yes it is more fun :tu:

• Like 1

Typical "globster" all that collagen stays together while the rest of the body deteriorates and leaves behind a glob of flesh and very little bones. Killer Whale would be my guess.

• Like 1

that does not look like a killer whale to me from the looks of it to be more than honest.i question every authority and these so called "experts" answers all the time with a healthy amount of skepticism and open mindedness as well. that does not look like any whale i ever seen.plus he believes he may have the answer that does not work for me.plus another key important question is are these "experts" being honest?or is it swamp gas like most skeptics say when they see UFOs lol

• Like 1

Most believe it to be a killer whale carcass, as we have them here in our local harbours and so on {I'm A kiwi}especially in the area where this was found. We have dolphins and whales too, but this one was identified by a marine biologist as being a killer whale, it's particular type of flipper is a giveaway.

• Like 1

Cloverfield Monster.

• Like 1

Orca/Killer whale for sure, you can easily picture it being more fuller and like the story reports, the flipper is a pretty big clue. 2 things though, 1) thumbs up to the guy being able to stand the smell hahaha, pitty he just didn't pull a couple of teeth out before it washed away to stop the looneys thinking it's the devil or whatever. 2) It looks like it had a trawler (thick) rope wrapped around it's tail, so go figure.

• Like 1