Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The day Albert Einstein feared has arrived

seeder

I watched a couple of teens texting to each other when they were sitting less than 10 ft apart. They found nothing unusual in this at all. I'm sure there are many sociological papers being written n this phenomenon. I'd be interested to see what the "experts" think about our future if this continues.

• Like 7

an exaggeration of course but yeah people text a lot lol

But know you know when people you are with are having a really good time. When they are having so much fun they don't even bring their phone out to text!

I watched a couple of teens texting to each other when they were sitting less than 10 ft apart. They found nothing unusual in this at all. I'm sure there are many sociological papers being written n this phenomenon. I'd be interested to see what the "experts" think about our future if this continues.

Facebook used to make me laugh, Id see couples posting to each other....when they lived in the same house and were together!! Like its a conversation they imagine their friends want to see.. like..."look at my spag bol (photo incl)"...and partner says...."it was lovely babe, Im so lucky you can cook"

social media sites also are having a strange effect on people

• Like 2

I can make and lose a friend on facebook instantly....

in real life tho, both always take time..... well except for losing one - sometimes

Will we lose the ability to speak to each other?

• Like 2

Which is why when I open my own Business (which is like a cafe, restaurant, book store kinda place) all that stuff will be banned.

• Like 1

I'm guilty. Hubby and I will carry on a facebook conversation while at opposite sides of the house.

Yes, actual human to human interaction is becoming a thing of the past, a lost art of communication. Emotion has been replaced by emoticons, the spoken word has been replaced by text speak. Kids can't spell because they don't type entire words.

Sad

• Like 2

What people say here is very true, and sad, in my opinion.

Something I really find sad is that normal, everyday pleasantries are now considered creepy... by teens especially. I was taught to say "hi there" or "good afternoon" or something to someone you pass on the sidewalk. You do that around here now and they look at you like you have 3 heads.

• Like 2

I'm guilty. Hubby and I will carry on a facebook conversation while at opposite sides of the house.

May I ask why you and hubby do that tho?

Apparently we look at our phones an average of 150 times a day!! (that includes setting an alarm, playing a game, changing ringtone, etc).

I believe it's becoming an addiction and it is affecting the way we interact with people.

My oldest son is 13....I always wonder how he'll interact with his peers when he's my age.

• Like 1

Will we lose the ability to speak to each other?

I hope some lose the ability to speak.
  • Like 1

I know you didn't ask me, but if me and hubby do something like that it's usually because I have posted something and he is making a cheeky comment, trying to be funny, usually so my friends can see it lol. We don't normally have a regular conversation on Facebook, it's normally a jokey kind of thing and we are chatting and laughing together in person at the same time.

I have banned phones from when we are eating out, if you can't get through a meal without checking Facebook or something on your phone there is something wrong in my opinion. I think it's also pretty rude, you should be able to give your full attention to the person you are with, at least for the hour or so you are in the restaurant.

Edited by Moon Gazer
  • Like 1

With 4 Billion texts and phone calls a day,someone is making a Dollar or 2.

• Like 1

I know you didn't ask me, but if me and hubby do something like that it's usually because I have posted something and he is making a cheeky comment, trying to be funny, usually so my friends can see it lol. We don't normally have a regular conversation on Facebook, it's normally a jokey kind of thing and we are chatting and laughing together in person at the same time.

I have banned phones from when we are eating out, if you can't get through a meal without checking Facebook or something on your phone there is something wrong in my opinion. I think it's also pretty rude, you should be able to give your full attention to the person you are with, at least for the hour or so you are in the restaurant.

exactly. My oldest son, now a little man who gets embarrassed when his dad hugs him, literally squirms when out with me, which is infrequent nowadays, because my rule is, 'phones off' when its family time, like when I take him out someplace. he is LOST without it, he complains strongly that he just has to see if so-and-so has texted him....oh and its so IMPORTANT that he checks his phone every 5 mins. Well tough titty when he's with me, his phone - along with mine are turned off and locked in the glove box, as I dont see him often, I can easy go without my phone beeping for some lousy forwarded joke a mate has sent

• Like 2

Yeah. I can relate to what everyone has said.

Where I live I've seen numerous examples of this everyday.

Texting while walking across a street intersection, texting while driving(my daughter is really bad about that), texting while at work(the supervisor doesn't hear you talking)

My wife works at a diner, and she has often related to me how, say, a group of 4 will be in a booth and texting to whomever, while no-one is talking to each other(not saying they are texting each other, just other friends outside the diner.

I've also seen one person in my neighborhood that texts while he rides his skateboard.

Another does this on her bicycle.

The most bizarre thing I've seen is this: I just pulled into a "Quick Mart" to grab a beer. I think it was close to 2am. As I was leaving my car to go into the store, this teenager(?) was literally running for the door and actually opened it with one hand while texting with his other hand. What was weird was that he was NOT walking, he was running to and through the door, and he dang near fell over, but didn't.

• Like 1

Facebook for me is a good place to keep in touch with people u care about and are good friends with, especially when your all across the country. Address & phone numbers may change but you'll not lose contact with a friend who is on Facebook. This is why I need to Facebook up. Im probably one of the last people who are not on it.lol Really though the word Friend has really been watered down in our times. It really used to mean somthing a long time ago. I try to maintain the meaning myself. That's why I'm like Doc Holiday in that, I don't got alot of friends just a couple good ones. Everybody else is an acquaintance. But Ya, sure will be interesting to see the communication & technological assistance in communication in another 20 or so from now.

• Like 1

Sorry bout grammatical errors, could used a paragraph or two. Im actually using my phone to post. Different from a whole cpu screen & key board, anyway..... I meant 20 Years or so. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks

Facebook for me is a good place to keep in touch with people u care about and are good friends with, especially when your all across the country. Address & phone numbers may change but you'll not lose contact with a friend who is on Facebook. This is why I need to Facebook up. Im probably one of the last people who are not on it.lol Really though the word Friend has really been watered down in our times. It really used to mean somthing a long time ago. I try to maintain the meaning myself. That's why I'm like Doc Holiday in that, I don't got alot of friends just a couple good ones. Everybody else is an acquaintance. But Ya, sure will be interesting to see the communication & technological assistance in communication in another 20 or so from now.

when I was on FB for the first time, I struggled to get 20 friends. But they were good friends nonetheless. Over time, people who vaguely knew me and had seen me on their friends list added me too, and then work mates, and before I knew it I had 300 or so 'friends' and many requests. Then some idiot would see I was online and want to open the chat feature, even tho I had seen them at work early in the day...

But I got sick of seeing updates where someone posted a pic of their dinner.... or hearing about how someone just got a new phone, or the silly game request being sent to me, or people saying they were going out 'on the lash' and then posting all their selfie pics that night, which is usually women taking photos of themselves in public toilets....(yeh really classy girls)

Then of course I have brothers and sisters who hate each other and Id occasionally wake to a sh!tty message from one of them....who would then try and make light of it later when sober...

so I closed my account. havent missed it once.

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Which is why when I open my own Business (which is like a cafe, restaurant, book store kinda place) all that stuff will be banned.

ha yeh good idea, and you can get some tech now that cancels the phones signals...not sure what it is but I read some news they wanted to use it in Opera houses/theaters etc....where as you can imagine, a mobile suddenly ringing can really ruin the performance

ha yeh good idea, and you can get some tech now that cancels the phones signals...[...]

And using jammers may get you fine or jail time...

Bit about what jammers are, and how they work.

[...] not sure what it is but I read some news they wanted to use it in Opera houses/theaters etc....where as you can imagine, a mobile suddenly ringing can really ruin the performance

Not only in public places like theaters, libraries, but jails as well - there are such devices installed in at least one of our jails, as far as I know, but inmates often damage those, by throwing heavy objects.
  • Like 1

Went out to dinner last night and nobody was looking at a cell phone. The place was almost noisy with conversation. I wonder if a lot of it depends on who you're with.

• Like 2

Exact same reason Moon Gazer gave. We will be in different rooms watching different things on TV or I may be doing laundry, etc. We're making cheeky comments back and forth on a FB posting one of us made. We don't do it if we're in the same room. But it does make for laughter coming from each end of the house as we read each other's posts. I'm much more entertaining in print than in person. :w00t:

• Like 1

Really though the word Friend has really been watered down in our times.

It certainly has. Facebook friends, for the most part, have no clue who you really are... and this might lead kids to think there really is no 'who you really are' and people are just a collection of meme mirrors.

• Like 1

OK well not really, but its a pause for thought, imho that is

If you think that's bad, just wait until the day our children's children integrate themselves with technology; like cyborgs. Humanity itself will be lost. There are individuals working on it now and have been for a while.

It's coming! Einstein would be horrified to see it.

• Like 2