Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mothman

thegothicsteve

About thirty minutes ago, I have had a very strange encounter. Tomorrow morning is garbage day, so naturally I was bringing my garbage cans to the road the night before. As I was grabbing the garbage cans, I looked towards my deck, and I had found that a very hideous creature was watching me. I stared into its eyes for a split second, then it had spread its ugly wings and flew away faster than I can even describe, straight up into the sky.

This creature was an ugly shade of chalky, orangish-brown. It was roughly human-sized, mabe a little larger. It was in a squatting position before it flew away. It had a demon-like face, with many large lumps on its head.

I felt endangered when I saw this, so I stopped with the garbage and ran for my life, back into my house. My mother noticed that I was visibly shaken, and asked what was wrong. I had told her what I had seen, and she said that she thought that it was the mothman. I personally thought that it was a demon. What do you think it was?

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragonlady_mothman

• Walken

• Mysteryman

• MadEyePixie

Where do you live?

As far as I know the Mothman is normally only seen in parts of West Virginia.

Okie.

I'm leaning more toward mistaken(sp?) identity here.

Here. Some more info on the mothman for you.

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated. I will keep you updated on what I think about what it was.

Mothman, Thunderbird and other similar creatures have been spotted all over the place - although WV is the "known" spot for him in the US, he has been seen numerous times, both before and after the Mothman Prophecies timeline, in other states, including, amusingly, Illinois... let me ask you something there Steve - you witness or hear of any aerial phenomenon, lights in the sky, etc anytime recently, in your area? Maybe a day or so ago? Any other unusual goings-on before this?

What is Mothman

Yesterday, my brother had seen some odd lights in a large tree in our front yard. Besides that, nothing unusual has happened of this nature.

Vampchilde18- Click on the link that Angelfish gave me. BTW- If the mothman lookes like it did on that site, I don't think that it was the mothman... it looked more demonish.

what color lights?

Red and white are most often linked to Mothman sightings.

Gold or orange light and red are the most common if I recall correctly (also linked to other cryptids) - white lights are occasionally linked to them but more generally white are more likely to precede humanoids such as "Nordics" or "ambassador" types or the like.

I just read the Mothman Prophecies again, two days ago, and I was again struck by the fact NO ONE described his face, though some people claimed to have seen it and said it was "a horrible - science fiction face" - they give NO description, but I get the idea that your demon face is not terribly similar to mothman reports - there have been, however, PLENTY of cryptids, including "demons" and "devils" and mothman and bigfoot-like creatures reported. The fact is though, while demon or other winged humanoid reports DO still occur, they're fairly rare so it still might be related in some way. I'm curious - when you said he took off straight up, I presume he spread his wings and flapped off on batlike wings - fast or slow? Any idea of a wingspan?

It seemed like he flapped away, but he took off much too fast... It took off so fast that it looked like a brown blurr.

Its wingspan was approx. 5-7 feet

Edited by thegothicsteve

THAT IS ONE FOUL FLYING CREATURE OF NIGHT! I would SCREAM like a little girl and RUN!!!!!!!! the moment I see it!

I am DREADLY SCARE, I mean SCARED!!!!!!!!!!! It is almost a phobia to me, i am SCARE of Bigfoot, mothman, chuppy, and stuff like as that.

I am not scare of spider, snakes, sharks, etc... though. It take ALOT to scare me, but mothman would seriously probably kill me due to sheer fear. If I ever survive that I would most likely sucidie instead of dealing with the fear.

I know you said it was human sized, but other than that it kind of sounds like a barn owl. They look pretty creepy at night. Maybe you're just mistaken about the size.

Hey, Steve, what area of Chicago are you in? I'm in Glenview. Well, actually, right now I'm at my aunt's house in Joliet, but I live in Glenview. tongue.gif

There are a lot of wackos around. It could've been a homeless man with a red flashlight wearing fake wings...it could've been a lot of things. Don't jump to conclusions without investigation! Maybe, if you feel up to it, you should go check out the scene again. Go out a night with a video camera, a flashlight, and a brave friend to the spot where you saw it.

I live in the far south suburbs.

Edited by thegothicsteve

It sounds like a Mothy sighting. Most of the west virginia reports didn't include a facial description because its eyes were said to mesmerize you as soon as you looked in the direction of the face.

If you really want the facts behind the mothman you need to get this book; Mothman:The Facts Behind the Legend. It shows newspaper clippings and actual police reports from key witnesses in Point Pleasent.

Perception is everything. thumbsup.gif

Man, calm down Cobalt Demon! ohmy.gif

There's that Cor Raven...the pics crack me up!!! love the animation~!!!

Sounds Mothman-ish to me! Hope I never see it...I live near Pt. Pleasant...

user posted image

look like this

user posted image

or this

user posted image

or this

quote the one yours most resembles