Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing Music

StalingradK

OK, I mentioned this once to someone in another thread that was hearing voices. I had a similar experience, hearing snippets of music or voices, but only in my bedroom when it was stone quiet. As soon as I investigated, I would "lose" the sounds. FINALLY after weeks of this, I recognized a sound. It was a TV commercial jingle! After ever so quietly searching my room for a possible source, I found it! My freakin cable modem! Very faintly, and sporadically, TV shows somehow "leaked" into my cable modem, and by some freak of electronic engineering, my modem, which has no speakers that I am aware of, actually relayed cable TV into my room. I was both relieved and dissapointed.

My friend used to have a dishwasher that would pick up radio signals, it was so freaky ^_^ Also I have a couple of metal fillings that vibrate when I sing certain notes...

Why can't I have background music? Well...I do like 'Don't Fear the Reaper', but...maybe I'd just dance to it before realizing it. Or maybe I don't want background music at all.

I know what you mean. I hear it, but it has an ethereal sound to it. When I hear it, it sounds a bit distant. On one occassion while sitting outside, I heard a choir of angels singing, or at least that was what it sounded like. There was no source as to where the choir was singing from.

The ethereal music I heard just before the onset of this virus I have at the moment. I just enjoy it and don't question it, as it is peaceful and beautiful. I usually hear it before it an onset of an illness.

You are not alone. Since I was a child, always at night when I'm relaxed and yet fully awake in bed, I'll hear what sounds like a radio far in the distance. Sometimes it's talk radio. I can hear different voice conversing , I know it's words but can't make out exactly what is being said. Other times it'll be music, as if it's on the lowest possible volume and still at that long distance. I even once, during a break from the talk radio "transmission", heard what I can only describe as the jingle of a radio commercial.

It's not tinnitus, because I know what that's suppose to sound like. But maybe what causes tinnitus is what allows one to hear transmissions of a different variety, from elsewhere. No clue, but I once asked a Naturopathic physician about the symptoms and she looked at me, while I could almost see wheels churning behind her forehead as she, a fairly new graduate from the training, thought; damn, I must have missed the class about this stuff. :geek::lol:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

You should be glad your hearing music and not voices...i used to be plagued by voices, i know now that they were hallucinations, only once did i hear music in my head, it was beautiful, i cant for the life of me remember it. maybe our brains are still forming connections and its quite possible that a connection is made into a musically creative part of the brain and then the connection is lost. perhaps the great musicians simply have the connections that allow them to hear music in their minds. and thats why it appears so simple to them to turn that into reality by recording it or writing it down. if you listen to mozart you can hear all the seperate channels at once, its truly remarkable.

That is very interesting. I have experienced the music in my sleep as well, and upon waking I have tried to recapture some of it on piano, without any real success. I wonder if it could be a radio station broadcasting in your area? If it happens to you in two separate locations, and is a random assortment of music, it is always possible that you are picking up a radio station. I have often thought about our mind's ability to adapt to frequencies that we hear on a regular basis. For instance, I usually reach for my cell phone or home phone before it rings. My assistant has been complaining about waking up every morning minutes before his phone ringing. Maybe when you go to sleep, you are putting your mind in a state where it is more receptive to telepathic communication. Perhaps the music is broadcasting from a radio station, but you are hearing it because someone else is listening to it and the thought is transmitting to you. A test that might determine where it is coming from would be to start recording the radio station broadcasts at night, and then listen to the recordings the next day to see if it is the same music that you are hearing in your sleep. Of course, if it is someone that is somehow linked to you telepathically, they could be anywhere in the world for all we know, and you would have a much more difficult time pinpointing the source of the music (radio station). I don't know anything about telepathy (real/fake/reliable), but I suspect that it is real and that some people have a greater ability than others. Good luck finding out where the music is originating.

Edited by Jalorm

I listen to music constantly and I hear music alot when im not playing any from a CD player or something. Its like my mind records and plays music whenever im not playing any from a CD player. I like it though because I love music. ^_^

I've typed this before I think.. but I heard music once not that long ago..

I was sleeping and I woke up to hear this music which was coming from out where I keep the computer. The actual music was from someone I met on the net who had made it, so it wasnt radio music or anything from the neighbors. Anyway I woke up hearing this song I really liked and it was quite loud and was very clear.. I stayed in bed for a few moments thinking about the music and wondering how my computer had managed to turn itself on. At that stage I figured that my son mustve gotten up early and done it all which wasnt really making sense either because I knew the song file was not easy to find(it wasnt on the desktop). So in my sleepy state I started to get out of bed to go turn it off and to see who had turned it on. I managed to actually stand up out of bed before the music stopped(which really spun me out) and at that stage I figured I mustve dreamt it all, but I was spinning out that I had managed to actually stand up fully before realizing. It was kinda a first for me and I'm not a sleep walker, so I was pretty amazed that I was tricked almost. Anyway I went back to bed straight away and as I was laying my head down to sleep it felt like I was being layed down very gently(I started dreaming straight away I guess).. and I saw a golden face which had like three sides to her.. so she had a face on the left and right of her actual face. She was all gold and was in her late 20's maybe. Anyway it was just like I was being layed back to sleep by this golden lady who was very happy.

Anyway soon after( a few hours maybe) I was woken by a phone call from my mother who was telling me that my Nana had died only a few hours earlier. Which really seemed to fit with my dream because it really did have that feeling around it... like a warm goodbye. It's always made me happy to think about it now because I saw how she looked and she was like she was young again.

Another thing which I found really interesting was that I told my mum what I had dreamt, and she later found a letter written from my nana(written almost 20years earlier which I had never seen or heard of)which basically said that my nana had a very similar experience to mine.. My nana wrote that she had an experience the night her husband died in hospital(before she was told).. she wrote that she woke up to hear music going through her house.. she actually wrote that she heard it for ages and that she got up and opened all the windows so that she could hear this music better. She said that no-one else had heard it(she asked her neighbors)and that it was just this wonderful music in the middle of the night..and that she was amazed by it. She wrote that she felt it was a message from her husband.. And I was amazed when I read her letter, as was my mum.

I've had experiences in the past where I would hear faint music (all different kinds of music) mostly at night while it is really quiet or sometimes when I'd tried to fall asleep. I don't have braces or anything metal inside of me and I am 100% sure there was no source for the music possibly to be coming from. Like I said, I'm mostly in the middle of the wood or in my bed with past experiences. I was just wondering if anyone else had these experiences and if anyone knows the cause of the phenonema.

This used to happen to me a lot. I would look all over the house and could not find anything making the music. I would go outside and go near other people's houses to see if they were playing music. Sometimes it can actually be very loud. I don't know if it's like this for you, but for me they are only songs I have heard before. When they start playing I usually think that I am imagining the words ,and music. I sit there for about 5 minutes and it's still playing and I can't stop it, so I knew it wasn't me doing it. The thing is it's always a song I know, so I think that it comes from the unconscious mind, just like a dream. In my experience only I can hear it, so that is another marker for it being created somewhere inside of me. What is so weird about it though, is that it sounds like it's coming from some distance away.

I have also had this happen when I have played to much video games and I am tired. I will hear the game sounds jsut as if I was playing it right then. It can get really distracting. :) Swords clanging against sheilds and guys dieing, stuff like that.

Last time it happened it was one of those songs in aladin (havn't watched this in over 6 years). It is the song where he is running from the police guys with the swords. That about drove me crazy because the song was on a loop and repeated about 4 and a half times before it finally stopped. I was thinking why the heck are the neighbors watching aladin at full volume at 2:30 in the morning?

I have not had this happen in about 2 years, so I may be leaving things out of my explanation. Hopefully not adding anything, silly memory trix are for kids...

One night me and my sister were in the lounge room, (which is my room now.) we heard some kind of harmony, it sounded very nice and was faint. There were no tvs on that I was aware of. The music sounded like something you'd get from those shops that sells tarot cards and whatnot.

But one time, a few months back I was so sleepy and I slept on my back which I don't do, I heard all these voices, so many people talking at once, like a gigantic crowd of people, and my sister didn't hear it... She apparently only heard a faint noise, but she wasn't sure. o.O anyway, I haven't heard the beautiful music for a long time now. :(

I've had experiences in the past where I would hear faint music (all different kinds of music) mostly at night while it is really quiet or sometimes when I'd tried to fall asleep. I don't have braces or anything metal inside of me and I am 100% sure there was no source for the music possibly to be coming from. Like I said, I'm mostly in the middle of the wood or in my bed with past experiences. I was just wondering if anyone else had these experiences and if anyone knows the cause of the phenonema.

I've been told by a psychiatrist that it is actually normal to hallucinate just before falling asleep and just before fully waking up. My swing on that is it's like the dream module in your mind is kicking in as you are drifting off or waking up.

Also this is maybe more common for people that plays instruments in a band/very loud, or listens to music alot. Or maybe have been to alot of concerts. You get my point.

Maybe.. But I have music going at my house almost non stop most days.. and I've never dreamt of music like how I did that one time. It was unique for me, and with the timing of my Nana passing away.. it was pretty trippy. And reading her letter was like the cherry on top too kinda.

:)

But I understand what you are saying.. but imo its not the same kinda music.

Yes! I've been searching all over the net today to try to find out why I hear music or a radio sometimes. I'm so glad to find out that I'm not the only one.

I hear something that sounds like a distant radio that isn't quite on the station. It is usually at night though I have heard it at other times if the house is quiet. I am usually laying or sitting down when it starts. I'm not asleep and I do hear it quite often when I'm reading. Once I hear it, I can walk around and it will only fade if other sounds are present. It sounds like a radio but I can't quite pick out the tune. Sometimes I will hear one instrument over the others. Sometimes there are vocals and sometimes not. Again, I can tell if it is a child, woman, man, etc and the style of music but can't repeat it back. It's all new music to me and it has been everything from gospel to rock to polka. I've also heard other things like you would hear off a short wave or AM radio like a baseball game, preacher, talk show, etc. Its like the station is a a little off its setting. I heard it for years at my old house and thought it was coming from the house until I moved. I have heard it 3 different locations now and all about 40 miles apart. Therefore its moving with me or my 115 yr old piano! :)

Sometimes I would hear it every night and then sometimes I wouldn't hear it for weeks. It became so normal for me that I stopped paying attention to how often it would happen. However, for some reason I've only had it happen a couple time in the last 2 years at our new house. It's never scary and the voices are not talking to me. I really think I'm picking up RF waves or something but then you would think I would have heard at least 1 of the songs before. I done some research and I don't think it it tinnitus or a hyponagogic state. I'm ADHD but have only been on meds since June. I know its not the meds because I've been hearing this for at least 8 or 9 years but maybe the ADHD if a factor? I might also add that I can't turn it on or off but it does almost always happen when there is a humming noise like a fan, fish tank, dishwasher, etc. I thought it was normal to hear music when there is a continuous sound until this morning when I ask my husband about it. He said he doesn't hear things like that and he's a musician. I can turn off the fan though and still pick it back up. I so hope somebody can give us a clue as to what this is!

Just curious if those who have had this happen hear songs they have heard before or new music?

Ive had a experience like that. It was in my old apartment I would come in and no one else would be home and I would hear this muffled music coming from the next room and I'd walk into that room and i wouldn't hear anything, but when I walked back to the previous room I would hear it again. It might of been just the air conditioner making strange noises. But who knows?!? I have also heard people talking when no one else was home. At least I don't live there anymore! Ha! But it sounds like your probably falling asleep and your imagination is starting to kick in like daydreaming. Sometimes I think i hear someone calling my name when I'm really tired trying to fall asleep. Sounds very normal to me.

But it sounds like your probably falling asleep and your imagination is starting to kick in like daydreaming. Sometimes I think i hear someone calling my name when I'm really tired trying to fall asleep. Sounds very normal to me.

In my case I know I'm not falling asleep every time. I've gotten up to check all around the house, walked outside, turned off things, turned on the radio to try to find it, etc. i can still hear it from one room to another if I stop to listen. I can hear it standing up or sitting at the top of my stairs just not as good. There is no way I'm dreaming it. I think I hear it more at night because its the only time it is quiet around here.

Edited by ClarityIthink

You can fall asleep and be perfectly awake. It's all about vibration. Scientists using EKG have found that memory works only when you get into the same mindset as you were at the time you are trying to remember. In other words you have to resonate at the same frequency.

What this has to do with hearing the music is that you have to be close to your subconcious. When your conscious self is vibratring near the range of the subconcious you will "hallucinate," also known as communicating with your subconcious. A radio only picks up 96.1MHz if you turn it there.

When you are tired you are more in tune with the subconscious, so it can bleed through. That is what I think is happening, and I am very experienced with dreaming while being awake. Not day dreaming, but really dreaming, while still being conscious. You might call that hallucinating, but I think everything is real, atleast as real as you make it.

The state you guys are in when you hear this music is a very good state to go inward if you desire to.

-Muddy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Stalingradk:

Yes, I've had those experiences, and it is part of what's called a "Hypnagogic State." Once when I was very sleepy, I heard the most beautiful music. I said to myself "I've got to get up and write down the notes so I'll be able to play it on my keyboard when I wake up." But wouldn't you know it, I was so sleepy I fell asleep and woke up in the morning. I couldn't remember anything about what was the melody of the song. :rolleyes:

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

"The hypnagogic state is that state between being awake and falling asleep. For some people, this is a time of visual and auditory hallucination." Quoted from skepdic.com/hypnagogic.html. But I have experienced music late at night fully awake. I was walking around the house looking for it but never found a source. It was soft hypnotic music. But for the life of me I swear it sounded like no insturment I've ever heard. Everyone in house was asleep except my husband who was awake in bed. I came back to our room and told him about it. He just nodded and said that happens to him all the time.

the music is just comming from your head it happens to me sometime when i'm bored i mean i'm not even thinking about music then i just start hearing music from my head

Hi Stalingradk:

Yes, I've had those experiences, and it is part of what's called a "Hypnagogic State." Once when I was very sleepy, I heard the most beautiful music. I said to myself "I've got to get up and write down the notes so I'll be able to play it on my keyboard when I wake up." But wouldn't you know it, I was so sleepy I fell asleep and woke up in the morning. I couldn't remember anything about what was the melody of the song. :rolleyes:

http://ashiana.conforums.com/index.cgi

~ Isis

I've actually heard music when I'm waking up out of dreams. The music is rather loud and intese at first, but it slowly dies the harder I listen to it. Then again most of my dreams have background music to them.

• 8 months later...

I'm curious if any of you who have heard this distant radio/music are ADD or ADHD? I'm ADHD and have wonder if its just my mind on overdrive when things get quiet? I still hear the music and its usually at night.

A lot of the things people have suggested are possible. There is also the possibility that if you hear something that sounds like a radio station, it's a radio station. All sorts of metal can pick up radio waves, including bed springs and coat hangers. Back in the 1940s one of the big Chicago radio stations upped their output and for weeks, until they stopped, beds and fences and clotheslines and things for miles around were playing the radio. When I was a kid we'd occasionally get the radio over a metal bedstead and sometimes we could tune it in more clearly by hanging a coat hanger on the bed like an antenna. My mom, who was born in the early 1920s, also remembered hearing a violin over her bedsprings when she was about nine. The phenomenon tends to happen best on still summer nights or clear, crisp winter ones.

Another possibility is music coming over an electronic device that's not turned off. Years ago I was living in a basement apartment in Columbia, Missouri. One day I was sitting in the living room reading when all of a sudden a man's voice, loud and clear, came out of nowhere. He was talking to someone I couldn't hear about wanting to go fishing but having to work on his car instead. Freaked me out! When I finally tracked it down it was coming from my stereo. I had a cheap little stereo with a dual cassette player and I had been listening to music earlier. The two cassettes played and then shut off but the stereo itself was still on. Somehow it was picking up half of a CB radio conversation and playing it over the speakers.

hmmm I happy that im not the only one experiencing it

I dont like it so I qiut it

but on that experience I heard music maybe from nowhere

I have had the same thing happen to me many times.. It always happens when I am lying in bed in like a twilight stage..It was so vivid once that I actually got out of bed to see if one of my step kids left the stereo on.. I can hear music but not clear enough to make out what is being said..I actually thought it was something to do with a ghost at first..I tried to tell someone but they wernt very open minded so you know how that goes..You arnt alone though..It is actually pretty cool..