Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Commandments question

camlax

Just a question to you religious people who claim to study the bible can any of you tell me how many commandments there are without the aid of google?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• War Eagle

• camlax

• Lotus Flower

• DeathOfAKing

Top Posters In This Topic

what sort of friggin question is that?

A point somewhere?

Edited by Sunni

Just a question to you religious people who claim to study the bible can any of you tell me how many commandments there are without the aid of google?

tsk didn't you ever watch Charlton Heston??? It is 10 ;)

Ok a clue then, How many laws are there in the old testament?

Ok a clue then, How many laws are there in the old testament?

That would depend entirely on one's religion. Of the three main religions the Bible directs, Jews have some six hundred and thirteen mitzvah (commandments) while Christians have the Ten they supposedly answer for. I can't speak for the Muslim faith, having little knowledge of it, sorry. Does that answer your question?

That would depend entirely on one's religion. Of the three main religions the Bible directs, Jews have some six hundred and thirteen mitzvah (commandments) while Christians have the Ten they supposedly answer for. Does that answer your question?

I was looking for the total number beyond the ten Christians claim are the only ones that matter. I was also wondering if anyone knew some of them.

what sort of friggin question is that?

A point somewhere?

:lol::rofl::lol:

You're kidding right? I am sure that most people religious or not could answer that question.

It sounds like you have a point to make, camlax. This isn't going to get anywhere if you don't tell us, so feel free to share your thoughts.

If I recall correct though, the Old Testament notates something along the lines of 312 different laws (or is it 612, I can't remember edit: 613, I guess i was close.....). There are quite a lot of them. Jesus summed them up in two though - Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind. And Love your neighbour as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commands, claims Jesus. Or are you talking specifically of the Big 10? They are listed in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5. There are 10 commands given in Exodus 34, which are often mistaken by skeptics as the Ten Commandments, but that's largely because they never bothered to read anything beyond chapter 20 and jumped straight to chapter 34.

So would you mind telling us what your point is, thank you :tu:

~ Regards, PA

Edited by Paranoid Android

1: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'(No more Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Lee Hooker & Van Halen)

2: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'(Removal of all statues of Jesus & Mary from churches i guess?)

3: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.' (Before screaming in pain take a couple of deep breaths first)

4: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.' (No more boozing and parting on Sundays)

5: 'Honor your father and your mother.' (We're all gonna have kids ourselves some day)

6: 'You shall not murder.' (Bite the bullet instead)

7: You shall not commit adultery.' (The cost of divorce is way too high)

8: 'You shall not steal.'(Use your credit card)

9: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.' (Unless you want a brick through you front window)

10: You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

(Mind your own friggin business unless she's smoking hot and you can't help yourself, then take a real quick glance but thats it)

why is this an issue...when Jesus died on the cross the old laws went with him...we are under the power of Grace not law...

randomhit10

Judging by the way the question was phrased to "you religious people", I think the point was to get people to say ten so that he could show them up and say (insert number here).

1: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'(No more Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Lee Hooker & Van Halen)

2: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'(Removal of all statues of Jesus & Mary from churches i guess?)

3: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.' (Before screaming in pain take a couple of deep breaths first)

4: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.' (No more boozing and parting on Sundays)

5: 'Honor your father and your mother.' (We're all gonna have kids ourselves some day)

7: You shall not commit adultery.' (The cost of divorce is way too high)

8: 'You shall not steal.'(Use your credit card)

9: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.' (Unless you want a brick through you front window)

10: You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

(Mind your own friggin business unless she's smoking hot and you can't help yourself, then take a real quick glance but thats it)

I like your take on the commandments Rebel.

Charlton doesn't lie, so there are 10!

And Rebel, your commandments are the shiz.

Kill-to-defend is not the same as murder. Kill and murder do not have the same connotation because murder is inhuman and barbaric and some my even argue "sinful." Many would say that kill-to-defend is a righteous act, especially since the body is the Lord's vessel. In Hinduism, the Mahabharata is a great example of duty to defend (kill) -- think of Krishna and Arjuna in the battlefield.

Psalm 20:1

Gen. 14:12

Samuel 25:13

Numbers 31:3

Neh. 4:17:18

Malachi 3:6

Ephesians 6:10-18

Sabado Gigante!! (Saturday :P)

Sabado Gigante!! (Saturday :P)

lol!

You know i knew that Celumnaz. :D

Growing up as a Catholic though in a small country town as a kid, the local padre Father George(the coolest and most humble padre you'd ever want to meet)always taught us the Sabbath was Sunday so i never questioned it until several years later when i read it somewhere Christians celebrate it Sundays...Jews on Saturdays and Muslims on Friday. So you could imagine for a 10-12 yr old at the time how confusing it was. :huh:

later.

Hey div, don't 'kill' the buzz man.

Father George lived the most humble life in the 2 bed room hut out back of his country parish, cleaned and dusted it all himself unless one of the locals came around to help, had his own chickens & ducks out back to collect eggs for his breakfast in the mornings, the locals always brought him home-made bread, cheese & pizza, he had a car( the church's)but never drove always walked went out his way to visit the locals the young and the elderly genuinely love by everyone and had a memory like you wouldn't believe...

• 2 weeks later...

Camlax, how many did you think there were or were you asking because you wanted to know?