Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nonsense theory

mowo

OK this isnt really a well thought out theory, just something that occurred to me.

Ever since the birth of humans we have been desperately trying to understand the universe and existence, beleiving that everything happens for a reason.

What if the universe and our existence actually did not make sense at all? If there were no answers and that some things occurred for no reason whatsoever? That we are quite literally living within a nonsensical realm, with no logic or reason?

The idea works like this:

If we take for example a computer screen that is 1152 x 864 pixels, that gives us a total of 995328 pixels. If someone wrote a simple program where each pixel could only display either black or white, and the program would calculate every possible permutation of black and white pixels, the final number of pictures would be 2 to the power of 995328.

One of these permutations would be YOUR name YOUR address and all of YOUR personal secrets and fantasies. Of course, many others would contain all your personal details and a bunch of lies about you. One would be a black and white portrait of you. Another would be your portrait with a single black dot in the corner.

If we extend this idea to a program that calculates every possible permutation of the keys on a standard computer keyboard within a novel. Eventually, after millions of copies of drivel, you would end up with War and Peace. And another version of War and Peace with the third from last word substituted for "Badger".

So, if we had a machine sending infinitely long passages of text to an infinite number of computers, eventually complex computer codes would become written. If we think of our existence as a complex program, this would symbolise the big bang.

An infinite number of these would be perfect virtual realities, millions of times more complex than any program we could possibly imagine. An infinite number of these would also be riddled with glitches and bugs, affecting their operation. And an infinite number would be bizarre rambling nonsensical programs, so unstable that they could crash at any moment. Which one would we be? wacko.gifwacko.gif

I would welcome anyone elses views and opinions on this thought original.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mowo

• Phantom

• bathory

• secondhand

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

so what you are saying is that the beginning of existence is merely the a permutation of a greater infinite series of properties. Interesting, its not really something one can dispute though

If someone wrote a simple program...

If we extend this idea to a program...

So, if we had a machine...

Part of your theory is that it needs a machine to make the permutations... How was the machine created ?

Part of your theory is that it needs a machine to make the permutations... How was the machine created ?

rolleyes.gif aahhh! the greater question!

my idea was more to the point that things like time portals, ghosts etc. could just be glitches which have no logical explaination whatsoever. Also, that the laws and rules that we conclude from science might not be applied to everything.

As for who created the machine (and I'm thinking off the top of my head here!), maybe some kind of vast evolving experiment, to glean off the successful existences and disregard the malfunctioning ones?!? alien.gifblink.gif

Congratulations, you've successfully done my head in for the day wacko.gif !!!

I've often thought that we as a race spend far too much time trying to explain things, without bothering to think about whether there's anything to explain.

Maybe nothing exists outside your own conciousness anyway [without getting into a stupid Matrix-type robots-rule-the-world thing]. I mean-what if everything you experience, all the people you know, are just imagined. Dreams are dreams within a dream, and when you die, that's it. gone. In that way you could percieve that people's minds are entire universes, and nothing exists outside them.

I'm sure I'm stumbling into elementary philosophy here, and probably just mangling obvious ideas that everyone's thought of a million times before, so I'll shut up.

Cheers for the thought-provocation [?] though thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif