Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christians: Their own worst Enemy?

Jor-el

Being a christian myself, I just happened to be cruising around the net today when I came face to face with a link that shocked the bejeevers out of me...

Jessica Alba decided to leave her born-again Christian church after religious leaders accused her of being too promiscuous.The Dark Angel star insists her multi-ethnic appearance stopped her from being accepted in the Latin community she grew up in, so she turned to the church looking for comfort.

After four years as a born-again Christian, Alba backed away from religion because “older men would hit on me and my youth pastor said it was because I was wearing provocative clothing, when I wasn’t.

“It just made me feel like if I was in any way desirable to the opposite sex, that it was my fault, and it made me ashamed of my body and of being a woman.”

Source: Jessica Alba: Elle magazine Interview...

Now I know the the news itself is old but I do find myself questioning if maybe our christian morality or is it peevishness is getting the better of us...

It has been mentioned repeatedly that christians aren't the role models they are said to be and that saddens me as a christian and to find that this actually takes people away from the church is absurd...

What do you think?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Jor-el

• Radian

• TheKnight

It's just a matter of the fox guarding the henhouse...

They need to sweep it clean....

but then, I'm an athiest....carry on....

I can relate to Alba a lot and her experience with the church..

I believe we are our own worst enemies. When trying to do what WE think is being GOOD, is actually doing more harm than good. from what I've personally experienced this is what I see.

She also vehemently disagreed with the church's condemnations of premarital sex and homosexuality, and was bothered by the lack of strong female role models in the Bible. "I thought it was a nice guide," she says, "but it certainly wasn't how I was going to live my life."

She is just right, it also shows she has respect for herself as a woman and a human being, that people shouldnt be discriminated against. IMO when you open your mind and look at the bigger picture, you would be shocked to how bad certain things you believed in, looked so bad!!

Being a christian myself, I just happened to be cruising around the net today when I came face to face with a link that shocked the bejeevers out of me...

Source: Jessica Alba: Elle magazine Interview...

Now I know the the news itself is old but I do find myself questioning if maybe our christian morality or is it peevishness is getting the better of us...

It has been mentioned repeatedly that christians aren't the role models they are said to be and that saddens me as a christian and to find that this actually takes people away from the church is absurd...

What do you think?

IMO, if we have a high rate of dropouts from the faith we need to stop telling people they're born again. If you have left the faith, you weren't born again. That's like being born unto death, being born again in the spirit and then killing your spirit, which IF possible you would probably never be able to re-born it again.

I can relate to Alba a lot and her experience with the church..

I believe we are our own worst enemies. When trying to do what WE think is being GOOD, is actually doing more harm than good. from what I've personally experienced this is what I see.

I come from an extremely conservative church where she would have been seen as a menace. Women were told not to wear make-up or even wear pants of any kind.

Jewellery was frowned upon and God forbid the person who decided to get a tattoo... :angry:

I remember an incedent when my Pastor came up to me and asked to see the silver chain with a cross (not a crucifix) that I had been given for my birthday by my parents, he then proceeded to tell me that it wasn't a good idea to wear such a thing because it could scandalize the other members, being young and foolish I wore it anyway... ouch!!!

So you might say that I've had a problem with this kind of mentality since I was young and more so when I became a christian. It seems some christians prefer rejecting the newely converted just because they don't want to fit into the comfortable concept of what morality is supposed to be to those older members who've been there for ages... it is even more saddening when you see this mentality transmitted to young people who then seem to age years before your eyes because the vibrancy of youth is slowly being extinguished.

Edited by Jor-el

I come from an extremely conservative church where she would have been seen as a menace. Women were told not to wear make-up or even wear pants of any kind.

Jewellery was frowned upon and God forbid the person who decided to get a tattoo... :angry:

I remember an incedent when my Pstor came up to me and asked to see the silver chain with a cross (not a crucifix), he then proceeded to tell me that it wasn't a good idea to wear such a thing because it could scandalize the other members, being young and foolish I wore it anyway... ouch!!!

So you might say that I've had a problem with this kind of mentality since I was young and more so when I became a christian. It seems some christians prefer rejecting the newely converted just because they don't want to fit into the comfortable concept of what morality is supposed to be to those older members who've been there for ages... it is even more saddening when you see this mentality transmitted to young people who then seem to age years before your eyes because the vibrancy of youth is slowly being extinguished.

I agree wholeheartedly.

IMO, if we have a high rate of dropouts from the faith we need to stop telling people they're born again. If you have left the faith, you weren't born again. That's like being born unto death, being born again in the spirit and then killing your spirit, which IF possible you would probably never be able to re-born it again.

I wouldn't call them dropouts, but rather disillusioned christians who, given the right circumstances and impetus will eventually abandon the faith because they weren't nurtured by those who are responsible for their spiritual growth, namely all of us.

Will god punish the newly born when the responsibility lies with the mature christians?

Jesus words about the "little children" could also be applied here.

Edited by Jor-el

I wouldn't call them dropouts, but rather disillusioned christians who, given the right circumstances and impetus will eventually abandon the faith because they weren't nurtured by those who are responsible for their spiritual growth, namely all of us.

Will god punish the newly born when the responsibility lies with the mature christians?

Jesus words about the "little children" could also be applied here.

I forone refuse to believe God would kill lil new-borns....I dont know how anyone could believe such a horrible thing, but sadly a lot do :(

You are deffo a young Jerry falwel in the making :blink: God help us all LOL

I had a Christian friend who had long flowing red hair. When she married her husband was jealous that she attracted other men, and he and other church members ganged up on her and told her she was responsible for causing men in the church to have lustful thoughts. She cut her hair short to please all of them... her lovely long hair. She'd done nothing wrong, was a good person, and was entirely faithful to hr husband. But it seems the men of that church couldn't control themselves, and unable to reconcile themselves to their own behaviour she became their scape goat.

I don't see anyone of us (Christians) being fit enough to say who's born again, and who isn't- That's between the person in question, and the Lord.

People backslide. The backslider- Jesus will leave the flock to find that one sheep that's lost, the backslider. That's Jesus's words, not mine.

If one of us was to lose our way, this doesn't mean we're spiritually dead, it means we're lost...

When someone calls out to represent Christ (a Christian) this is a huge responsibility on their part. It's the sole purpose to not just live their life according to Christ, but to represent what Christ stood for as well. We all should be very careful, you never know who's watching --

You are deffo a young Jerry falwel in the making :blink: God help us all LOL

I can't be a dictator if I don't get a nation to dictate. I don't plan to any time soon or later so you have nothing to worry about.

religion breeds irrational and illogical behaivour...

this kind of bs is NOTHING new.

This kind of thing happens all the time, grow up alba, who cares.

Isn't it interesting?

My faith is based on simplicity, no jewelry, not even religious jewelry, no obviously name brand clothes... keeping your home simple, tidy, never more than you need (not want). I think the difference is though, that you arne't frowned on, shunned or otherwise if you fail at these lifestyle choices.

I do my very best to live by those lifestyle choices, and they were a choice, but, on the flip side, as a hobby I make jewlery, I wear it when I come up with a design I like, but I do try to keep it modest. I like clothes, I like to dress well, but I make a concious effort to not buy anything that I don't need and I'm careful not to choose a t-shirt that has "DKNY" or other lable emblazoned across my butt or chest.

It's a choice, I believe it has spiritual relevence, but far be it for me to tell someone else what they should be doing.

So ya, I think many Christians have gone overboard, and into an area they have no business being. Each person's spiritual journey is thier own.

I had a Christian friend who had long flowing red hair. When she married her husband was jealous that she attracted other men, and he and other church members ganged up on her and told her she was responsible for causing men in the church to have lustful thoughts. She cut her hair short to please all of them... her lovely long hair. She'd done nothing wrong, was a good person, and was entirely faithful to hr husband. But it seems the men of that church couldn't control themselves, and unable to reconcile themselves to their own behaviour she became their scape goat.

In my opinion she should have told her husband and friends ,in no uncertain terms to get s*****d, either take her as she is or not at all

fullywired

I remember an incedent when my Pastor came up to me and asked to see the silver chain with a cross (not a crucifix) that I had been given for my birthday by my parents, he then proceeded to tell me that it wasn't a good idea to wear such a thing because it could scandalize the other members, being young and foolish I wore it anyway... ouch!!!

I do not mean any offence to you or your church but women were "told" not to wear? I think people should be able to wear what they wish, and if they decide to get a tattoo, piercing or whatever then good for them, its their choice. I am not a christian but I think the church should not turn anyone away, regardless of if they wear make-up, jewellery and what not. Seems to me that some churches and religious groups are trying to create their own little "community" using the bible and god a a means of getting what they want. it's one thing not to agree with what someone wears but another thing entirely to be told what and what not to wear. These people make followers believe that you have to follow these strict and sometimes ridiculous rules/guidelines to be accepted by god. I think it's complete foffle....

The church I attend has some of these "guidelines" and they are just that guides to help and prevent the unwanted or distraction, but "new-converts" arent expected to "follow" them, when someone chooses to follow them it is their choice, not because someone else is. Iv seen when someone does do it because everyone else does they fall qucikly and are soon outta the church. IMO these guidelines comes with growth you change as you grow and as you get revelatoin. Most of these guidelines are in the bible some come from the Pastor and its just to keep safegrauds.. If you have one in provocative clothing then its gonna draw attention or lust which shouldnt be in a church some things you just gotta do to keep things from happening..just my opinoin

I do not mean any offence to you or your church but women were "told" not to wear? I think people should be able to wear what they wish, and if they decide to get a tattoo, piercing or whatever then good for them, its their choice. I am not a christian but I think the church should not turn anyone away, regardless of if they wear make-up, jewellery and what not. Seems to me that some churches and religious groups are trying to create their own little "community" using the bible and god a a means of getting what they want. it's one thing not to agree with what someone wears but another thing entirely to be told what and what not to wear. These people make followers believe that you have to follow these strict and sometimes ridiculous rules/guidelines to be accepted by god. I think it's complete foffle....

It doesnt make sense for a church to turn anyone away...its just plain ignorant and stupid

They cry out to get others to follow them, and the sec they do, they discriminate for silly stupid stuck in a time warp idreas

Where in the bible does it read how a woman SHOULD dress?? or a tatoo is wrong? I doubt people had tatoos back then lol

A christian fellowship church should just accept you for YOU..not how you are dressed or look...as long as you are willing to give your life over to the lord...that's what should matter

but then the world is full of idiots...BAH!!!!

. If you have one in provocative clothing then its gonna draw attention or lust which shouldnt be in a church some things you just gotta do to keep things from happening..just my opinoin

I may be wrong, but if a woman dare show up to church on Sunday with a thong bikini, she's prolly on drugs from the night before- and not intentionally being provoking.. I'm just saying.

& where is the boundaries for drawing "LUST?" Couldn't that include the color of the dress a woman wears, or six inch heels or something or another..

I find it so ironic that the person they worship in xianity sought these very kinds of people for his following. These high and mighty churches haven't evolved enough to teach their congregation about respecting the free will of others. Maybe if the council of nicea hadn't made the teachings of jesus so male dominated then they would have more equality in their churches.

This is one of the hypocritical things that made me seek other forms of spirituality.

Isn't there a danger that with all that emphasis on clothing & hair etc, that one ends up with the real distraction : being distracted with worry about conformity,outer form & ritual from spiritual relationship with God? Frankly, Jessica Alba & the incident of the lady with red hair reminded me of the excuses used to wrap women up in burkas , which would be even more insulting to men than women. I do not believe that Jesus gave importance to outer rituals, proper forms, & set ways to do & say things. We sometimes forget that he was also non-conformist who appreciated beauty( parable of field flowers, attended weddings, started his miracles by changing water into wine, the woman who poured perfume on his head...etc) . I cannot believe that he wanted his church to be austere , grim, judgmental or humorless, devoting its time to splitting hair over attire & tattoos as some people do.

I find it so ironic that the person they worship in xianity sought these very kinds of people for his following. These high and mighty churches haven't evolved enough to teach their congregation about respecting the free will of others. Maybe if the council of nicea hadn't made the teachings of jesus so male dominated then they would have more equality in their churches.

This is one of the hypocritical things that made me seek other forms of spirituality.

WB Curiousity...and yes i believe you are correct...religion is very much male dominated...

WB Curiousity...and yes i believe you are correct...religion is very much male dominated...

Can't say I'm glad to be here yet, but we'll see how it goes

I actually think that their dogma has become a hinderance to their faith. In other words they can't follow what they are being told if they choose to be strongarmed by their human instincts.

If they were truely faithful and had only their god on the line then they wouldn't be looking down someones blouse.

Can't say I'm glad to be here yet, but we'll see how it goes

I actually think that their dogma has become a hinderance to their faith. In other words they can't follow what they are being told if they choose to be strongarmed by their human instincts.

If they were truely faithful and had only their god on the line then they wouldn't be looking down someones blouse.

hey lady, great to see read a good ole fashioned sink your teeth into opinion... You have been missed..((HUGS)))