Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Without the Permian Extinction.

Pilot28

Ok I've seen lots of what ifs for if the dinos didn't die out and well I figured I'd go with something diffrent. What do you think would have happened? What sort of animals do you think would have evolved had the Permian Extinction never happened? Would dinos still have evolved? Would the mammal mimics have kept evolving as they were or would they have taken a diffrent path? What might have evolved intelligence? Just thought I'd pose this question. It was after all the biggest extinction in history. Over 90% of all life extinct. So it's a big what if?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• cyrus11

• Ufo_Guy

• Pilot28

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that the dinosaurs would have stayed small and assume the nitche mammals had when the dinos ruled..

the permian extinctions gave the dinos a big break. with their air sac system of respiration, they were more efficient at extraction oxygen from the low oxygen atmosphere of the time...so they were able to keep going while the ancient mammals were gasping for air. it is this and the sudden availability of open habitat without competition from earlier dominating creatures that allowed the dinosaurs to dominate..... so had the permian extinction not happen.. mammals would be the big brawny brutes and the dinos would be the brainy feathered animals scurrying around... till the end of cretaceous come and wiped out all the dominant creatures and leaving the more versatile, smaller animals, the dinosaurs to rule the earth.. in either case. you and i would not exist if the permian extinction had not happen..

hey sorry to go off subject but there are some theries about unexplained things that happen that have a connection to dinosaures. for example: the lockness monster, it sertenly looks like a dinosaur and that some might not of died cause they were in the water.

and one more thunderrbirds, there have been so called sightings of thunderbirds.

back to the question,

if dinosaur's still exsisted they would be dead already because the meat eaters would eat all the herbavores and then eat eachother and eventualy go extint.

I think everything would be the same but different. Different animals would have formed to occupy the same type of niches they have now. I know a seafood plater at the Pub would look really different.