Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman 62, kills sleeping grandson, gets 25 ye

Sgt._Love

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/07/19/grand...html#cnnSTCText

MONTAGUE, Texas (AP) -- A 62-year-old woman was sentenced to 25 years in prison for killing her teenage grandson while he slept, then setting their mobile home on fire.

Jamie Larue Holmes had pleaded guilty to murder and arson. She will be eligible for parole when she's 75, prosecutor Jack McGaughey said.

Firefighters found the body of Brock Holmes, 18, inside the burning trailer near Nocona, northwest of Dallas, in June 2006, and police found his grandmother hiding in woods nearby.

She said she shot the teen in the back of the head while he was sleeping at his desk the morning after they had argued about his getting a job, McGaughey said. Holmes told authorities she planned to shoot herself but ran out of bullets.

Investigators never determined a motive, but McGaughey said Holmes indicated a conflict with her grandson that she did not want discussed during a trial.

"It seemed to be very important to her that her grandson's conduct toward her not be an issue brought out in court," the prosecutor said.

Makes me sick to see this happen

Why would so do that? Over him getting a job? Geez. What a stupid move on the grandmother!

I wonder how the parents feel about losing a son.

yea it looks like its because he didnt get a job sad it is sad

Many people can't handle someone being lazy and not, pulling their own weight.......make anyone snap, but murder is a bit extreme.

It sounds like there was more to it, the grandmother stated in the artical that she didn,t want her grandsons attitude to come out and be discussed in a court room, sounds like she snapped over more than him just not getting a job! Could be she has been puting up with his bad attitude,verbal abuse and who knows mabey even some physical abuse from him for a while and she finally said enough,not that thats an excuse to murder him! unless she sought help from the police and didn,t get any help,and if she feared for her life?who knows? Unless she tells the whole story about what happened she won,t get much sympathy! :no:

It sounds like there was more to it, the grandmother stated in the artical that she didn,t want her grandsons attitude to come out and be discussed in a court room, sounds like she snapped over more than him just not getting a job!

Interesting, maybe he touched her up or something like that?

u know it could be but still murder and if she wont say it in court then it wont matter

forgot to add she also burned the house up jeez that had to be more than just simple anger or even if there was abuse to burn him god loony

when i was younger i knew a kid who beat up his grandma and stole her money on a regular basis, but she still loved him to death and would have done anything for him (his parents both died of cancer and she was the only caring person in his life). so you could imagine that every single day felt like hell to her. looking back, i can't say she would've been in the wrong to put a bullet in the back of his head.

Edited by 1dominick1

Many people can't handle someone being lazy and not, pulling their own weight.......make anyone snap, but murder is a bit extreme.

I can agree with that. But i wouldnt kill. But in fits of rage peopl ehave been known to do anything

Interesting, maybe he touched her up or something like that?

I never said she had a right to kill him,i only think there,s more to it is all! She still needs to be held accountable!

when i was younger i knew a kid who beat up his grandma and stole her money on a regular basis, but she still loved him to death and would have done anything for him (his parents both died of cancer and she was the only caring person in his life). so you could imagine that every single day felt like hell to her. looking back, i can't say she would've been in the wrong to put a bullet in the back of his head.

I knew someone similar to that too if i had the means i would have killed him but sadly i did not......................probably a good thing i didnt lol

i think she's lie. why she burn the mobile home ? he's dead already !

To get rid of the "edivance." That's probably why she did that.

This woman had to be pushed so far to have committed this crime...She won't admit to what (if anything) he did to her...She can either be so embarassed or not want the family to know what kind of person he really was....Either way, to me, the alternative was not murder.... ;):mellow:

• 11 years later...

Brock was very sweet, never would put hus hands on his grand mother in any way. His parents weren't involved in his life abd he wasn't close to his grandma for many reasons... He had no other family, he became a great friend of mine spent everyday at mine or my neighbors house. Since we became so close he bought mine and my neighbors family Christmas even though he didn't have to, he said we were the closest thing he ever felt to a real family. His grandma had a weird religion where brock was not allowed to work or to worship God, but he ended up going to church with my neighbor and found God in his heart. Which made him start to wonder about his grandmothers beliefs, he even found a wonderful girlfriend at the church. He started to look for a job so he could move out and with his girl friend ... The reason y she shot him. I remember getting the phone call. . I couldn't breathe i fell to the ground crying just couldn't believe my friend was gone. So the grandma was crazy and brock didn't deserve any of this and I think of him almost every day. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 8:27 PM, Breanna55 said:

Brock was very sweet, never would put hus hands on his grand mother in any way. His parents weren't involved in his life abd he wasn't close to his grandma for many reasons... He had no other family, he became a great friend of mine spent everyday at mine or my neighbors house. Since we became so close he bought mine and my neighbors family Christmas even though he didn't have to, he said we were the closest thing he ever felt to a real family. His grandma had a weird religion where brock was not allowed to work or to worship God, but he ended up going to church with my neighbor and found God in his heart. Which made him start to wonder about his grandmothers beliefs, he even found a wonderful girlfriend at the church. He started to look for a job so he could move out and with his girl friend ... The reason y she shot him. I remember getting the phone call. . I couldn't breathe i fell to the ground crying just couldn't believe my friend was gone. So the grandma was crazy and brock didn't deserve any of this and I think of him almost every day. 

Please contact me I'm his oldest sister I would love to hear your story my email is sarahbrooke51@yahoo.com