Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British Weather/Global Warming

Moon Monkey

There is extreme weather and much flooding being seen across the UK and the government's stated belief is that such events are due to the effects of global warming and will get worse in the future and that we should all prepare and do our bit. The Thames flood barrier is being raised more times in a month than it was designed to do in a year and the Thames valley is an extremely risky place for rising sea levels and floods as even without the effects of global warming the UK is tilting with the South-East sinking and the North-West rising. Therefore I have a question:

Why is no provision being made to move the UK financial and political centres away from London ? Surely with the scare tactics the UK government use about the weather to come and global warming and the extra taxation they are imposing in an attempt to stall it on the back of these reports, it makes absolutely no sense to continually invest in the South-East infrastructure and instead they should be beginning the move to the North-West which will take many years to complete. Unfortunately the opposite is being seen and the provincial cities struggle by without even integrated transport systems and therefore the only conclusion can be that the "powers-that-be" either do not believe their own scientists reports, know them to be exaggerated or are waiting for the day that London is swamped.

Maybe we will take it seriously when they do.

Edited by Moon Monkey

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moon Monkey

• questionmark

• ships-cat

• louie

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the government actually stated that they believe the current rainfall to be a consequence of global warming Moon Monkey ?

Meow Purr.

Have the government actually stated that they believe the current rainfall to be a consequence of global warming Moon Monkey ?

Meow Purr.

Well not in so many words but the current rainfall and floods just allows us to consider the bigger picture while it is on the agenda and repercussions can be seen. The BBC and Sky have both had their top weather people explaining it away in terms of global warming in half hour specials and Brown said yesterday they will be looking at ways of protecting people from future extreme weather conditions ie he expects more of the same.

They cannot have it both ways...they tell us such extreme weather is to be expected due to global warming and that sea levels are rising, South-East Britain is sinking, the Thames barrier is being used beyond its design, they are allowing the Thames to reclaim its old flood plain, beefing up South-East sea defenses etc. the logical conclusion of their own warnings is that London will be submerged sooner or later ( unless we meet our 18% of 8% of an unknown % target under Kyoto :D and stop taking or pay more for our holidays abroad and using our cars ). Other than raising, underpinning and roofing London and the environs and changing the course of the Thames the only alternative is to move the financial and political centres to the north-west at some point for future use. There doesn't seem to be any preparation for this by the people who claim they know best, therefore what I am asking is why should we worry ?

Edited by Moon Monkey

The govt may only belive and take action against global warming and the extreme weather when the areas they live in start to get flooded and thier homes get damaged then they will spring into action. until then sit tight and row your boat.

Yeah, I kind of agree with the thrust of your point Moon Monkey. Other than signing up to Kyoto, I'm not aware of any government initiatives to address the problem of climate change, and its impact on these islands. As you point out: if government and businesses don't appear to be takingit seriously, then perhaps it's not serious ?

Meow Purr.

Remember that flood-gate dyke system thing they were raving about ten years back? That is still on. They are convinced that it will be weather change proof.

Remember that flood-gate dyke system thing they were raving about ten years back? That is still on. They are convinced that it will be weather change proof.

I don't recall this one questionmark... do you have any links for it ? :)

Meow Purr.

I don't recall this one questionmark... do you have any links for it ? :)

Meow Purr.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/regions/thames/

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9034601/floodgate

http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/~kamy/Thames%20Barrier.htm

Just had a look at google, Thames flood gate returns over 250.000 hits

This is over 25 years old and, like I said, operating beyond its design, and it was designed well below future predictions. Almost hilariously there is a link in the environment agency page leading to the "new schemes" they are combatting the forthcoming global warming catastrophe along the Thames valley (which they decribe as a "key issues threatening the Thames area" and have a page devoted to):

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/regio...323147/?lang=_e

New offices....for the environment agency.

A scheme to protect a bit of wildlife somewhere or other

And requesting initiatives for new construction/development.......on the river bank.

Yep this must be serious.

Check this page and some of the links inside:

http://www.floodlondon.com/floodtb.htm

Edited by Moon Monkey

According to the government the measures taken then are sufficient, at least that is what was said in parliament.

According to the government the measures taken then are sufficient, at least that is what was said in parliament.

They also said "education, education, education", "there are WMD's in Iraq that could be launched at us in 45 mins" and " a 20 quid tax on a cheap short haul flight will halt the effect of 400 new airports and 1000 new coal fired power stations and 500 million new cars, fridges and air conditioners in china and india" ( well they didn't actually say the last one, but it was implied). Just because the government said something doesn't necessarily make it so.

They also said "education, education, education", "there are WMD's in Iraq that could be launched at us in 45 mins" and " a 20 quid tax on a cheap short haul flight will halt the effect of 400 new airports and 1000 new coal fired power stations and 500 million new cars, fridges and air conditioners in china and india" ( well they didn't actually say the last one, but it was implied). Just because the government said something doesn't necessarily make it so.

The point is that the government is well aware of the problem but whatever steps they take will cause a big uproar. So they don't.

Besides, I hardly see anything that can be done except move to higher ground or build a big dike around the island and set up windmills, like the Dutch, to pump the water out. That is the part of the inconvenient truth that not even Al Gore dares to say.

The point is that the government is well aware of the problem but whatever steps they take will cause a big uproar. So they don't.

Besides, I hardly see anything that can be done except move to higher ground or build a big dike around the island and set up windmills, like the Dutch, to pump the water out. That is the part of the inconvenient truth that not even Al Gore dares to say.

Which was the point of the thread,the flooding of London is inevitable under the governments own predictions on climate change but they are doing almost nothing. Defence against nature is both very difficult, time consuming and very expensive (the dutch have spent trillions on sea defences but most experts agree that they will have to give up much of their reclaimed land sooner or later). Nothing seems to be in the pipeline in the south-east either defence-wise or in preperation for moving the financial and political centres to safer areas, so they have either exagerrated the expected problems or are ignoring it either way they are letting down the people of the UK.

Which was the point of the thread,the flooding of London is inevitable under the governments own predictions on climate change but they are doing almost nothing. Defence against nature is both very difficult, time consuming and very expensive (the dutch have spent trillions on sea defences but most experts agree that they will have to give up much of their reclaimed land sooner or later). Nothing seems to be in the pipeline in the south-east either defence-wise or in preperation for moving the financial and political centres to safer areas, so they have either exagerrated the expected problems or are ignoring it either way they are letting down the people of the UK.

Well, in any case, I am happy to live 900 feet above sea-level.

Well, for most financial centres it's just a matter of moving computers and people. Ditto for most of government.

You'll probably find that most companies allready have Emergency Contingency plans for this sort of thing, complete with alternative HQ's. Government certainly has.

Of course, it would be ironic if they've built their alternative HQ's in flood plains. (they normally assume that the catastrophe is going to be fire or terrorism... not floods)

Meow Purr.

Edited by ships-cat

Well, in any case, I am happy to live 900 feet above sea-level.

lol...I am currently at about 700 foot below sea level, but its the desert so no real flood worries here, I should have brought a bit of the UK rain with me as keeping the garden green is a bugger.

Edited by Moon Monkey

Of course, it would be ironic if they've built their alternative HQ's in flood plains. (they normally assume that the catastrophe is going to be fire or terrorism... not floods)

Meow Purr.

sounds like them ...

Relocating the financial centre to the NW (where I presume you live) is completely unfeasible.... Too many reasons to list.

Should it even be discussed, it would become a political pawn used by Europe to give more power to Brussels.

I do not know the solution, but since I am not paid to think that way, and live in the NE I am reasonable content for now....

Oh, and as for the flooding in the South? Get over it. The North gets that twice a year and cope ;)

Relocation wouldn't be THAT much of a difficulty, at least not on the technical side. We're just talking about a bunch of computers and telephones.

Moving (and housing) the personel would be trickier.. .the government would probably have to use Force Majeure and block-book half the hotels in the region. :)

Better still... lets move them all to Wales :P

According to an article in the Times this weekend, the rainy weather is being blamed on Global Warming (suprise). Apparantly, the direct cause of it was the Jet Stream moving about 100 miles south. In turn, this was blamed on embryonic El Nino effects, which in turn - for all I know - is still all George Bush's fault. (Or possibly that chap in Venuzuella)

Meow Purr.

Edited by ships-cat

Relocating the financial centre to the NW (where I presume you live) is completely unfeasible.... Too many reasons to list.

Should it even be discussed, it would become a political pawn used by Europe to give more power to Brussels.

I do not know the solution, but since I am not paid to think that way, and live in the NE I am reasonable content for now....

Oh, and as for the flooding in the South? Get over it. The North gets that twice a year and cope ;)

I don't live in the NW (anymore) like I said 2 posts ago I am 700 ft below sea level in the desert, does that sound like Manchester to you ? However I do have property there that might do well from the influx of political and financial folk looking for homes ;)

Why unfeasible ? List a few reasons, maybe I am missing something anyway I said the NW because the UK is tilting, the SE is sinking so it is just logical to stick them in the NW (ie the opposite of SE), stick them in County Durham I don't care, it is the lack of preparation for the logical results of the governments own predictions on climate change I am on about in this thread, taxing us for not being green (for all the good that will do on a global scale) as there is a global warming catastrophe around the corner but doing sod all to protect or cater for the most at risk and politically/economically important area of the country to ensure the country continues to operate normally in the face of these events.

Surely the lack of a workable economical/financial power centre in the UK due to flooding would be more of a political pawn for Brussells than the UK simply making sure that in an emergency (that they say is coming) the government and operation of the UK doesn't skip a beat ?

Edited by Moon Monkey

Has the UK never experienced flooding before?

I'm 36 and don't remember it this bad and this widespread but yeh there were really bad floods back in the 50's and certain areas get hit from time to time surprisingly enough usually areas next to rivers or in reclaimed flood plains, and guess where they continue to build.... :wacko:

worst floods in modern history:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/home

It is being reported that a leaked government document says that building will continue on South Eastern flood plains, looking for link. Here we go:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-1276469,00.html

Edited by Moon Monkey

It is not only the UK but a big portion of Western Europe.

Bavaria is under water, Saxony is, extreme rainfall in Switzerland. It seems to be the patter in the (non existent :D ) global warming. In Germany this is the second time in five years. In between there are long periods of drought, which is also unusual.