Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British Weather/Global Warming

Moon Monkey

France is getting hammerred at the moment as well, I was just talking to a mate there. Expect widespread flooding there over the next few days.

BTW have they lifted the hosepipe ban in the UK yet ?

Edited by Moon Monkey

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moon Monkey

• questionmark

• ships-cat

• louie

Top Posters In This Topic

France is getting hammerred at the moment as well, I was just talking to a mate there. Expect widespread flooding there over the next few days.

Ironicly the headlines in the times today was something like "Panic-buying, looting, and water shortages"... so you're not far off the mark there 'Monkey :)

time to build noahs ark :yes: no cats welcome :P

OI !!!!! . Only just noticed this one :P

Gets saw and makes catflap at bottom of Ark.

Settles in and hogs the Comfy Chair.

Hmmm... where's all this water coming from ? :o

Darnit... should have made the catflap open OUTWARDS, not INWARDS ... doh... abandon ark.

Meow Purr.

They have hosepipe bans in England even if it looks like the North Sea, they hate the thought of us keeping our bizzie lizzies nice! lol only joking.

This rain is depressing :(

It's not caused by global warming, we need to apologise to the pagans :)

LOL

brilliant

Global warming....bring it on.

Or to quote Dennis Leary...'you can take my big black carbon foot print & stick it up your a**'

Relocation wouldn't be THAT much of a difficulty, at least not on the technical side. We're just talking about a bunch of computers and telephones.

We're talking thousands of companies, tens of thousands of people, in hundreds of huge office blocks and other buildings. We'd have to virtually build a whole new city.

Besides, in the UK, it's down to the individual company whether or not they want to relocate ;) Surely no-one is suggesting forced action by an authoritarian fascist state?

As for the the rain and flooding - it's unusual in summer, and is not what is expected under GW scenarios. It's supposed to flood in winter instead! Although the worst in this part of the country in modern times, there have been equal or worse floods here throughout history. I found an account from 1770 that described flooding in Evesham almost identical to that we experienced on Saturday.

As was the case on 2003, the normally mobile weather systems over Europe have stuck in one place. This time we have low pressure rather than high pressure dominating the UK - so it's cool and wet rather than hot and dry. Why the systems stick like this we don't know .....

Edit: and contrary to what the media might suggest, there is no reason at all to attribute the weather to La Nina (there is no El Nino at the moment) - it's just uninformed speculation (there is some evidence to suggest that la Nina may have a small effect on our winter weather, but none at all in summer)

Edited by Essan

The governments own 700 page report into global warming expects a 3 deg C rise and current legislation is aimed at stabilising at 2 deg C. Taking into account the second and third worlds race to our pollution levels, epecially China and India, it would seem that we should be looking at least a 2 deg C rise causing:

linked-image

So you would have thought preparations would be beginning to move the tens of thousands of businesses and millions of people to safer ground. It is not so much the recent floods themselves it is the unpreparedness of the UK even for unexpected rain never mind the expected "coming catastrophe". Houses and businesses are still being built in the most at risk areas and whilst telling us to recycle, take fewer flights, buy smaller cars and imposing other green taxes the governments own direction seems to plod on without a care in the world. The logical outcome of the governments own published work is that people will have to move and this will take many, many years....why is it not beginning, or even being talked about as a possibility ?

....why is it not beginning, or even being talked about as a possibility ?

'cause they have enough problems trying to get reelected as is ... later they can always claim that it was someone else's fault that they did not prepare.

We're talking thousands of companies, tens of thousands of people, in hundreds of huge office blocks and other buildings. We'd have to virtually build a whole new city.

Ah... I thought the original post was reffering to key services such as central government, the stock exchange, Billingsgate Fish Market (yummy) and the like, and it was towards those that I made my comments, not to industry overall.

Edit: and contrary to what the media might suggest, there is no reason at all to attribute the weather to La Nina (there is no El Nino at the moment) - it's just uninformed speculation (there is some evidence to suggest that la Nina may have a small effect on our winter weather, but none at all in summer)

Hmmm... I'll try and dig that report in the Times back out, if I havn't thrown it away. The source was the UK Met office. They stated that the direct cause of the wet weather was the jet stream moving 100 miles south (and hence permitting fronts to approach the UK that would normally be deflected). In turn, they suggested that the REASON the jet stream moved was possibly down to a El Nino effect in America.

Meow Purr.

Edited by ships-cat