Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive Soviet Build-up in the Arctic

Canrock

Massive Soviet Build-up in the Arctic and North Atlantic.

We have running missions out of CFS Alert with the Inuit Rangers. This is way up in the Arctic. Our unit is Canadian Forces Crypto Maintenance Unit (CFCMU) but we also have a crossover role as combat engineers. We have noticed heavy Soviet build-up in the Arctic since may.

We have buzzed and fired upon dozens of times by RED Fighters, the ones with Plasma Stealth. We call em S-37's.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russian_Bo...oss_Arctic.html

Our F18's are great but they scramble out of Cold Lake or Alaska. The Reds got a base much closer. Radar won't pick em up.

In June one of our patrols got hit with small arms, they were in a Bv206S... an amphibious APC.

With IRAQ and AFGH everybody is stretched thin, we got reinforced by some JTF2 who are the best at cold weather but they went off to AFGH within a week.

We are supposed to do regular Sovernty patrols but nobody is going far from base. Supposedly an F-22 from Alaska Penetrated RED airspace and gotta high res pics of 12 brigades on the move.

We train alot with US,UK, and Swedes and they are getting hit with loads of Dry Runs... thats is unloaded/unarmed Russian Fighter/Bombers doing successful mock attack on NATO targets.

Someone told me that a site called DEBKAfile has a story about Red Aircraft dry running UK and Scandanavia.

Keep ya posted.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• Canrock

• questionmark

• contactismade

I can't find anything about this artic stuff, and I'm skeptical of it. I think if battalions of Russian soldiers where on the artic ice, then various countries would have challanged Russia about it, or even got the UN involved.

There are stories about the Russian Bear Bombers approaching (but not entering) UK airspace. One such is here .

Not sure what to make of it. The russians claim that this is a routine training excercise, and that the Norwegian and UK governments where aware of it in advance.

It's all to baffling for the Working Cat to comprehend.

Meow Purr.

"Reds", "Soviets"?

This is a joke.

I must admit, it did sound like the opening of a Tom Clancy novel. :)

Meow Purr.

Well there have been several confirmed reports of Russia moving into the artic for oil resources....only natural they would secure the area militarily. About the mock runs and being fired at............lets see more reports.

Edited by Aztec Warrior

Massive Soviet Build-up in the Arctic and North Atlantic.
"Soviets"? Are they time travelers? If so, then shouldn't this be in the "Conspiracy" or "Bizarre News" section?

Perhaps this is just the oldest necro thread posting in UM history?

I DID hear that the Canadians were concidering throwing a claim on some tundra up there somewhere so, if that is true then, I assume the Russians are not going to let themselves be outdone.

Edited by Lord Umbarger

I don't know if this is related, but the Russians are claiming a large chunk of pervious international sea in the Arctic Circle, and yes it was for the oil reserves there. I saw it last week on CNBC or somesuch site. It didn't say ANYTHING about troops of anykind. I'll see if I can find it again.

edit - here's a link http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8...1642905,00.html

Edited by The Mule

I wonder if they are just trying to claim a little of the oil rich north before the new U.N. mandate goes into effect giving control of the oceans and their resorces to the United Nations?

By the way, has anyone heard anything new on that mandate?

The beginning of the struggle for Arctic oil.

One more reason for the Continent to wean itself off of petrolium...Thus making it somwhat of a non-issue, since it would no longer be profitable enough to bother with.

12 Brigades? My brigade is 3,500 troops, that would mean they have 42,000 soldiers there... I doubt this.

We have buzzed and fired upon dozens of times by RED Fighters, the ones with Plasma Stealth. We call em S-37's.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russian_Bo...oss_Arctic.html

That plane show in the picture of the link does not have stealth capabilites... that plane is comparable to our (US) B1 supersonic bomer. Unless im just confused on what plane you all are talkin about. BTW I've never heard of the russians having stealth capabilites.

I'm going to run up the yellow flag on this one. And only because I can't find my red flag. Just too many things wrong.

A S-37 does not exist. If talking about a SU-37, that is a new varrient of the old SU-27 Russian jet fighter. And if being fired on "dozens of times" you would think the word on that would have gotten out. Especially if ground patrols are being fired on by other ground forces. Something would have popped up on at least one of the military forums I read. F-22's do not have a recon capibility. The US would have used spy satillites rather than than a F-22 fighter. Canadian F-18 do not operate out of Alaskian bases except on training. Besides - there are no airports that can handle jet fighters in the northeast part of Alaska. The main base in near Fairbanks in the south-central part of the State. The other outposts of the USAF F-15's are along the Bering Sea coast (like at Bethel) facing Siberia. And if engaged in a shooting conflict, even if only one side is shooting, then why were the best artic gound troops pulled out of the area and reassigned.

Too many mistakes and lack of any other reports of that kind of actions. Even on the Net, which will print just about anything alarmist. Yes, the Russians have been active in the area. For a couple of years now, a Russian cruise ship company have been running 4 or 5 expedition-style cruise ships thru the Northwest Passage for western tourists. But nothing like being discribed above.

Yup, got to agree with all of that Birmingham....

Nevertheless, I've passed the entire thread onto Tom Clancy.... I gather he's run out of inspiration recently. :P

Meow 'Tupolov' Purr. :D

Yup, got to agree with all of that Birmingham....

Nevertheless, I've passed the entire thread onto Tom Clancy.... I gather he's run out of inspiration recently. :P

Meow 'Tupolov' Purr. :D

Hope you did not mention Soviet, I think if you do he'll blame the last 20 on Booze. "I knew I should not drink GlenF... makes me have these nightmares, I dreamed the Soviet Union dissolved itself".

Hope you did not mention Soviet, I think if you do he'll blame the last 20 on Booze. "I knew I should not drink GlenF... makes me have these nightmares, I dreamed the Soviet Union dissolved itself".

Oh shush Questionmark..(hic) :D

The beginning of the struggle for Arctic oil.

One more reason for the Continent to wean itself off of petrolium...Thus making it somwhat of a non-issue, since it would no longer be profitable enough to bother with.

Then we could leave Iraq and we could stop getting our boys killed and maimed over that God forsaken oil reserve!

Its a win win.

But Repubs won't do a damn thing, I think we can both agree on that much.

Edited by Bob26003

Well, some response indeed.

First, not that I'm going to debate the issue but... once a Bear always a Bear. Soviets, Reds, Russians.

Next,

Originally known as the S-37, Sukhoi redesignated its advanced test aircraft as the Su-47 in 2002. Officially nicknamed Berkut (Golden Eagle), the Su-47 was originally built as Russia's principal testbed for composite materials and sophisticated fly-by-wire control systems. The aircraft makes use of forward-swept wings allowing superb maneuverability and operation at angles of attack up to 45° or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-47

Next,

There is an airfield in the Canadian Arctic than can handle F-18's. There is reference to it in the public domain.(I won't name it)

Next, I'm sure that if something isn't in the media it can't be true. Of course.

You people speak of conspiracy... but when something is right in front of you, you can't see it.

In the 90's we stopped dozens of so called Chinese refugee boats of the west coast of Canada, you can find reference to these in the mainstream media, but they did'nt report the 50-80 boats that did land... from Prince Rupert to Port Renfrew. Boats carrying thousands of people who just dissappeared. I'll tell you.... the PLA dosn't allow anybody to escape on clunkers. These people were allowed to leave and I'm sure there were PLA agents on every boat. The Canadian Navy and Coastal watch simply did not have the resources to track each boat.

Theres a lot more going on here North America than most people know.

In the 90's we stopped dozens of so called Chinese refugee boats of the west coast of Canada, you can find reference to these in the mainstream media, but they did'nt report the 50-80 boats that did land... from Prince Rupert to Port Renfrew. Boats carrying thousands of people who just dissappeared. I'll tell you.... the PLA dosn't allow anybody to escape on clunkers. These people were allowed to leave and I'm sure there were PLA agents on every boat. The Canadian Navy and Coastal watch simply did not have the resources to track each boat.

Theres a lot more going on here North America than most people know.

Must have something to do with that Star-gate program in the north sponsored by Santa.

http://www.library.ubc.ca/asian/FinalAsian...umb/Canada.html

http://www.canadafirst.net/news/3rd_boat_spotted.html

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2.../6/174054.shtml

*Triads own one-third of downtown Vancouver.

*China had invested over one billion dollars in 2001 to buy Canadian businesses in strategic areas. A number have links to U.S. corporations.

*China is one of the largest stockholders 10 per cent in Canada's Imperial Bank.

*China has "virtual control of 15 corporations in the country's technology sector.

*China's Secret Intelligence Service has "established some 30 companies, fronted by Canadian nationals, for traditional and economic espionage purposes. These companies are used as cover for Chinese spies to get them into important business and political circles.

*CIA and Canadian intelligence do not understand the "sinister nature of the elaborate networks established in Canada.

12 Brigades? My brigade is 3,500 troops, that would mean they have 42,000 soldiers there... I doubt this.
It's kind of "unexpected" that it could get this serious so fast without any other news agencies reporting it. I'm not saying that the report simply has to be incorrect on that info alone but, it is unusual. I've never heard of the Russians being that mobile.

I'll let this be my Bona Fides,

Some time in the next couple of weeks there will be a news report of a so called "Crash" of a Tu160 Blackjack bomber, either in the Arctic or north sea.

It was downed a CF-188A .... what you call an F18.

OK.. but an incenderary bomb would surely have killed some if not all on the bus, The link to the Cochrane Times article stated this:

Bus carrying British soldiers up in smoke

Bus stopped and safely evacuated before back end engulfed by flames

I assume the gist of this thread is that the United States and the former Soviet Republics are going to war with each other?

Still seems like there would be a far bigger stink over this if it were totally on the level. The left jumps at the chance to call for impeachment when Bush "forgets to put the seat up" yet are not all over the chance to pin this kind of tail on the Elephant?

Ha, thanks for the funny read.

I know we have a conspiracy page, but this doesnt quite fit.

Is there a section for fabricated/fictional events?

I'll make a thread about how flying cheeseburgers have caused widespread mayhem in the bible belt as people think the devil is out to ruin their cholesterol.