Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive Soviet Build-up in the Arctic

Canrock

I think that this thread could make a h*** of a novella :w00t:

Anyone know Tom Clancy's number ? Or Dale Browns ?

Meow Purr.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• Canrock

• questionmark

• contactismade

Anyone know Tom Clancy's number ? Or Dale Browns ?

Meow Purr.

Feel like writing it yourself?

And yes, but I ain't telling.

Edited by questionmark

seriously though, heavy-lift helicopters only have a range of a few hundreds of miles. Where would they fly FROM to get to the Artic ?

The guys from my unit that participated in the recent sovop in the arctic were flown out there in Griffons...

Depending on where that plane supposedly crashed, it could very well be possible for a helicopter to get there.

The guys from my unit that participated in the recent sovop in the arctic were flown out there in Griffons...

Depending on where that plane supposedly crashed, it could very well be possible for a helicopter to get there.

Jolly good. Are they capable of lifting (presumably heavy) lumps of crashed bomber onto a barge ? :)

Meow Purr.

Jolly good. Are they capable of lifting (presumably heavy) lumps of crashed bomber onto a barge ?

What are? Griffons, or Helicopters in general?

What are? Griffons, or Helicopters in general?

I feel that your suggestion that the crashed Tu-160 bomber might be loaded onto the (civilian) barge (which is too small) by a flock of mythical eagle-lion hybrids is a ludicrous one Steller, and not in keeping with the serious discussion in this thread.

<goes back and re-reads thread from beginning>

Ooops - my mistake Steller ... eagle-lion hybrids it is ! :lol:

Do they have stealth plasma ?

Meow Purr.

Edited by ships-cat

a CH-146 can lift 5,355 kg max, however the mythological winged lion beast is capable of lifting a near infinite amount of weight due to its magic, obviously.

I feel that your suggestion that the crashed Tu-160 bomber might be loaded onto the (civilian) barge (which is too small) by a flock of mythical eagle-lion hybrids is a ludicrous one Steller, and not in keeping with the serious discussion in this thread.

Im not suggesting anything of the sort, I'm correcting the information presented.

Im not suggesting anything of the sort, I'm correcting the information presented.

Hee hee - I was pulling your leg Stellar - no offence was intended :D

My point was that- considering some of the claims made in this thread (the Su-37/47, plasma stealth, a crashed - and hushed up - Tu-160 (one of only about 19 in active service)... a civilian barge... submarines... death rays... ), then a flock of mythical Lion-Eagle hybrid animals fits right in :D

Meow Purr.

Plus whos ever saying this happend on a very public forum would get put in prison for a rather long time for violating all kinds of military and government confidentiality agreements and official secrets acts they signed.

Plus whos ever saying this happend on a very public forum would get put in prison for a rather long time for violating all kinds of military and government confidentiality agreements and official secrets acts they signed.

Astutely put Lolki... another poster has already mentioned this very point.

The entire thing is bull.

Except... except... do we REALLY know what is going on up there on the roof of the world ?

I've been cynical and snide about Canrocks claims. The Su-37/47 thing is OBVIOUSLY ficticious.

..and yet.... apropos of nothing... a silly story...

I remembe reading the story of an RAF pilot, flying an English Electric Lightning (the fastest and highest fighter in the world at the time), cruising over UK airspace and just tootling along.

He suddenly became aware of a WIERD looking aircraft very close to him... like nothing he'd ever seen... it looked like something out of Thunderbirds. He challanged it over radio.. suddenly it accelerated away. "Hah" he thought, "NOBODY gets away from the Lightning".. so he went up to Mach 2 and followed... and was dismayed as this wierd black aircraft effortlessly shot off.. going both massivly faster and higher than he could. He later estimated it's speed as in excess of Mach 3 (impossible), had climbed beyond 70,000 feet (inconceivable) and specificly mentioned the odd contrails/afterburner effects that the plane had. (unlikely)

He was - eventually - cashiered out of the RAF for refusing to back down on his story. (His commanders where embarresed, thinking he'd "seen" a UFO).

It was only MANY years later that the US admitted the existence of the SR-71.

So lets wait and see :D

Meow Purr.

Edited by ships-cat

The entire thing is bull.

But it was fun while it lasted...

They will be using a heavy lift bird like a S-64 aircrane or Chinook for recovery. Most likely from companies lke CAC or Colheli which are under military contract already.

To the idiot....about the space on the Barge. Listen moron, they will be recovery engines, cockpit, and pieces, not an entire 150+ foot aircraft.

Their is a potential problem of landing a heavy lift helicopter on the barge deck.... which was designed for a medium lift.... such as S61, CH-46 or Kamov. But supposedly VIH Helilogging beefed up the landing deck.

To the idiot....about the space on the Barge. Listen moron, they will be recovery engines, cockpit, and pieces, not an entire 150+ foot aircraft.

Does he mean me :o ?

How Wude :P

They will be using a heavy lift bird like a S-64 aircrane or Chinook for recovery. Most likely from companies lke CAC or Colheli which are under military contract already.

They certainly will not be using an S-64: it has an operating range of only 200nm. Where are you suggesting it would fly from ?

The Chinook MIGHT be a contender, as it has a range over over 1000nm.. however... surely they'd be afraid of it being shot down by that rampaging Su-37/47 ?

Their is a potential problem of landing a heavy lift helicopter on the barge deck.... which was designed for a medium lift.... such as S61, CH-46 or Kamov. But supposedly VIH Helilogging beefed up the landing deck.

Why would they want to land on the barge deck ? Surely they're merely dropping bits of broken Tu-160 onto the barge deck ?

Soooooo - when is the 'missing Tu160' story going to hit the headlines Canrock ? :)

Meow Purr.

Once again, I thought that we were all in agreement that this whole thing was a hoax? If the Russians lost a bomber in the ocean near the coast of the U.K., I'm sure that there would be a lot more of a stink over it. The idea that they might have been testing the responce time of the Brits is not shocking. They used to do that over the Berring Strait all the time back inthe 1980's. That a Russian plane fell into the ocean would not be all that shocking either. That there is no major news coverage of the incident, now that is astounding.

Once again, I thought that we were all in agreement that this whole thing was a hoax? If the Russians lost a bomber in the ocean near the coast of the U.K., I'm sure that there would be a lot more of a stink over it. The idea that they might have been testing the responce time of the Brits is not shocking. They used to do that over the Berring Strait all the time back inthe 1980's. That a Russian plane fell into the ocean would not be all that shocking either. That there is no major news coverage of the incident, now that is astounding.

You're right M'Lord... but... somehow this topic is addictive. It's like an itchy scab... you KNOW you'll make it worse if you respond, and yet at the same time you can't help yourself.

99% of me says that Canrock is delusional. But then... he writes such amusing delusions. Truly, we have the basis of a Tom Clancy novel here. (The final conflict between the US and Russia - the struggle for Resources in the Artic). You must admit, it is a heady and potentialy fruitfull theme for a book. Canrock merely needs to research his military technology a bit more before he posts.

1% of me says... we've been fooled before, and had the wool pulled over our eyes. Who KNOWS what is really happening up their on the roof of the world ?

So I would encourage Canrock to keep on posting, providing that he doesn't mind me attempting to "rubbish" his posts.

And how would you feel M'lord Umbarger - how would we ALL feel - if we read about the loss/recovery of a Tu-160 in 8 days time ?

The wider UM forum IS about the unlikely, unplottable and ineffable.

Lets wait and see :)

Meow Purr.

Who knows whats happening up here?.......i knows thats who knows. Because I unlike Canrock , obviously, live up here in the north he lives in cold lake, which is alberta and not really the north. Ask stellar.

Edited by contactismade

Thats a joke....... the Russians don't have any money to afford things like feed their own people so how thne hell are they going to afford things like rockets ??? Lets face it.....the form er Soviet Union is that broke noone tkes them seriously anymore. :yes:

99% of me says that Canrock is delusional. But then... he writes such amusing delusions. Truly, we have the basis of a Tom Clancy novel here. (The final conflict between the US and Russia - the struggle for Resources in the Artic). You must admit, it is a heady and potentialy fruitfull theme for a book.

You may be on to something there ships-cat. If a screenwriter in Hollywood got a hold of this concept it could be next summers blockbuster movie.

Thats a joke....... the Russians don't have any money to afford things like feed their own people so how thne hell are they going to afford things like rockets ??? Lets face it.....the form er Soviet Union is that broke noone tkes them seriously anymore. :yes:

Are you trying to suggest that when the USSR broke apart that the rockets broke apart with it?

Just because a major country dissolves does not mean its technology and warfare weaponry have dissolved along with it.

If common sense doesn't teach that, history sure as hell does.

The Russians may try and detonate a nuclear bomb in the arctic. This will destroy the world.

Huh ? Shades of "Dr Strangelove" here. A nuke detonated in the Artic would suggest destroy a few lumps of ice.

Meow Purr.

Prime Minister Harper is heading north to inspect the recovered wreckage. Supposedly he has some big announcements coming shortly.

Prime Minister Harper is heading north to inspect the recovered wreckage. Supposedly he has some big announcements coming shortly.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/national/070808/n080852A.html

OooooKaaaay.... The PM is going to visit a national park, and also make some statements about Canadian artic sovereignty, which may include some statements about military matters. The latter is not necessarily sinister: after all, Canada IS in the middle of a large (for them) military/coast guard/RCMP excercise on/around Baffin Island.

We shall see :)

Meow Purr.