Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive Soviet Build-up in the Arctic

Canrock

after all, Canada IS in the middle of a large (for them) military/coast guard/RCMP excercise on/around Baffin Island.

We shall see :)

Meow Purr.

You mean they got all five trawlers serviceable?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• Canrock

• questionmark

• contactismade

He's coming here to announce the establishment of two bases in the north. A cold wheather training center and a naval base. Keep it up canrock ya nut.

14 pages of it....increible.

Just let 'em, this is probably one off the threads giving most revenue to UM, they should put up some ads for war toys though...

The fact that the Soviets put a flag on the ocean floor at the north pole means little. As admited by the Russians, it is symbolic and not a jesture of claiming the north as it's own. The Russians said it was akin to the Americans planting the American flag on the moon. It does not mean that America owns the moon. As far as Canada and Russia having a conflict in the north who's to say really, do you think that would be on the front page of any news paper? What happens in the extreme north or south can be kept secret quit easily I would think.

The thing that gets me is that the Russians have not made a stink over this "crashed bomber". The main thing is the secure (or crypto) communications systems. A secure radio enable you to communicate between aircraft, air bases and (in the case of a bomber capibile of carrying nuclear bombs) the national command system. You have this gear, and you can hear in real time what your enemy is saying. In navy terms, this would be like raising a sunk enemy ship and recovering the code books and encryptment machine. And once your enemy has the crypto equiptment or secure radio systems, then your going to have replace all the radio gear at your bases and in all the planes. Even if the system is just used in the 200+ Russian bombers, it still means replacing the bombers radio system with a new system that has no relationship to the compromised system. And if the Russian system is used through out their air fleet, then all radio systems would have to be changed. At great cost while the West listens in to all communications until the change over is made. This would be a major disaster to the Russians, and why they would just sit back and do nothing is hard to believe.

In the past couple of years the Russians have been very pro-active. When they have been cought with their hands in the cookie jar - then will insist it is their cookie jar. Why they have not done anything publicly to pressure Canada, like sending their fleet to hold navy menouvers 25 miles off of Halifax, I don't know.

As far as Russia exploding a nuclear bomb in the artic - they did that for years before the ban on surface testing went into effect. The biggest ever nuclear bomb (about 52 to 58 megatons) was exploded on an island in the Artic Sea. And not on the Soviet mainland, they were not crazy with that test. But the world did not end. Proven by the fact that we are reading this forum today.

Wow canadians are going to start a war with Russia over Ice I think it is too cold up their, can any one say brain freeze.

The soviets are just trying to weasel in on stuff that is not there's, throughtout history these guys have been extremely expansionist. Given the sillyness in the world today and the complete lack of nuts on the part of Canadian politicians, I wouldn't doubt they could go to the UN and say that they actually own a piece of the northern revenue richness. And given the fact that they are in fact putzes they would screw that up too.

Are you trying to suggest that when the USSR broke apart that the rockets broke apart with it?

Just because a major country dissolves does not mean its technology and warfare weaponry have dissolved along with it.

If common sense doesn't teach that, history sure as hell does.

No i'm suggesting that Russia sold them to countries like Iraq because they were so broke they needed thne money.

Are you trying to suggest that when the USSR broke apart that the rockets broke apart with it?

Just because a major country dissolves does not mean its technology and warfare weaponry have dissolved along with it.

If common sense doesn't teach that, history sure as hell does.

Errr... actually.... Yes, the rockets MAY have "broke apart with it", and the rockets may indeed have "dissolved along with it"... or at least many of them.... eventually.

As I understand it, long-range multi-stage missiles are complex beasts: you can't simply dig them out of the silo and sell them to someone. Some of them are liquid-fueled. The liquids in question can be highly volatile and/or unstable chemicals: difficult to maufacture, maintain and store, and with a limited lifespan. Sold-fuels can also have a limited lifespan, and require replacement.

Getting around the Permissable Action Links (the so-called 'arming/launch" codes) can also be difficult.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, the military started to heamorage, with wages not being paid and soldiers (and support staff) drifting away. I wonder wether they kept up their missile maintenance programs ? Do the factories still exist that make the various chemicals for the rocket fuels ?

I'm sure Putin would have made this a priority issue, but he would have several years of neglect to catch up on.

Meow Purr.

Russian state television has been caught using footage from James Cameron's 'Titanic' in it's news story on the planting of the Russian flag on the Arctic seabed.

Holy (deliberate) bloop!

The Guardian

HAH ! They really are having problems shaking off their old commie habits, aren't they ? Truth was ALWAYS a utility for them, rather than an absolute.

It's doubly hilarious because they did NOT plant a flag on the ocean floor: they merely dropped it in a metal container from their submarine. (and the submarine itself was not even on the ocean floor). They may as well have dropped it from a surface ship.

Let's hope that the movie rights-owners sue the Russian TV station (which is sate owned) in a blaze of publicity :D

Meow Purr.

Dont worry we have the big bad Canadians protecting us I feel very secure.

The Canadian military are some of the most skilled highly trained soldiers in the world, the only thing Americans got are seals or delta, the rest has to have equipement so dumbed down an 8 year old could understand. Other countries send thier soldiers here to train with us.

The Canadian military are some of the most skilled highly trained soldiers in the world, the only thing Americans got are seals or delta, the rest has to have equipement so dumbed down an 8 year old could understand. Other countries send thier soldiers here to train with us.

Doesn't every Western, several Eastern and a few in between nations have some of the most highly skilled/trained soldiers in the world? They're a bit like soccer teams. It's just preferrable that they don't have a World Cup every four years.

Yes canada is renowned for their Elite fighting force named Ummmmm. Monties right? you got them sofisticated top of the line horses for transportation?

Yes canada is renowned for their Elite fighting force named Ummmmm. Monties right? you got them sofisticated top of the line horses for transportation?

I told you already : Have a look at Jane's ...

I told you already : Have a look at Jane's ...

And what am checking for exactly that Canada has a superior military to the US I think thats dillusional.

I would put any Canadian soldier up against any other soldier except the Isrealis. And "MOUNTIES" are the cops not the army, your ignorance allows me not to take such an uninformed person who probably has no military service seriously.

At least Canadian troops know the difference between friend and foe, how many friendly fire incidents due to trigger happy under qualified American troops?

I would put any Canadian soldier up against any other soldier except the Isrealis. And "MOUNTIES" are the cops not the army, your ignorance allows me not to take such an uninformed person who probably has no military service seriously.

At least Canadian troops know the difference between friend and foe, how many friendly fire incidents due to trigger happy under qualified American troops?

I was making a joke. I dont even want to talk about it the US has the best trained and equiped Army in the world the canadians are like our little brother they try to fight and its so cute to watch. friendly fire happens in war.

But they do seem to happen to you guys a lot though hmmmmm, highly trained eh?

Yeah I saw your highly trained elite army up here, couldn't get thier gear working couldn't operate in the elements, couldn't coordinate actions,, impressive. Why do you think they have those instructions for dummies on half the weapons you use.

In WW-II one of my Mothers relitives was in the Royal Tank Corp outside of Caen during the Normandy campaign. When he was attacked by a Canadian pilot in a Spitfire. Who did not know the difference between a Sherman Firefly and a King Tiger. He was wounded, several of his mates killed - two miles behind the front lines.

The Canadian government never made an appology, nor compensate him for the suffering he went through the last 44 years of his life.

If you want to talk about professionalism, what happened to the Canadian Parachute Regiment after their deployment in Somolia.