Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive Soviet Build-up in the Arctic

Canrock

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ships-cat

• Canrock

• questionmark

• contactismade

dont know if anyone has mentioned this earlier , im sure they will have , didnt the soviet union break up a wee while ago lol

hmm i think so....

so unless we are in a time warp im sure they mean a russian build up..

ps.

a stong russia is not to be feared

Bah - they didn't PLANT a flag, they just dropped a flag in a capsule from their mini-sub. I mean, why bother going down in the submarine ? They could have dropped the silly capsule from the surface.

My parents are going on a cruise of West Coast of the USA next month - I'll give them a Union Flag wrapped around a brick to toss overboard, and we can claim the entire Pacific Ocean as 'er Majesties Territory.

Bah. Farce.

Meow Purr.

My parents are going on a cruise of West Coast of the USA next month - I'll give them a Union Flag wrapped around a brick to toss overboard, and we can claim the entire Pacific Ocean as 'er Majesties Territory.

Happened before... did it not?

But on a serious note, if you ask me this is just another maneuver to twist the US's arm to ratify the national waters treaty.

Russia To Conduct Strategic Wargames Above And Below Arctic Ocean

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russia_To_..._Ocean_999.html

by Staff Writers

Moscow (RIA Novosti) Aug 01, 2007

The Russian strategic aviation will fly over the North Pole and conduct test launches of cruise missiles during a series of exercises in August, the Defense Ministry said on its website Tuesday. Units of the 37th Air Army of the Strategic Command will conduct a total of six tactical exercises in August as part of an annual training program, the ministry said in a statement. "During the exercises, strategic bombers will test launch cruise missiles, conduct simulated bombing raids, and fly over the North Pole, the Pacific and Atlantic oceans," the statement said.

The exercises will involve Tu-160 Blackjack and Tu-95MS Bear-H strategic bombers, and Tu-22M3 Backfire-C theater bombers - the mainstay of the air component of Russia's strategic nuclear triad.

According to various sources, the Russian Air Force currently deploys 141 Tu-22M3 bombers, 40 Tu-95MS bombers, and 14 Tu-160 planes.

Lieutenant General Igor Khvorov, the newly appointed chief of the Air Force Main Staff, said in March that Russia's strategic aviation had sufficient potential to suppress elements of a U.S. missile defense shield should it be deployed in Central Europe.

Source: RIA Novosti

Hmmm.... but no Su-37 ?

Presumably it's still too busy strafing Canada ?

Meow Purr.

Help! Defcon 4 please. They have been doing this every year except at the height of the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

OMG the Russians are coming the Russians are coming.

Run away run away... head for the hills, head for the hills.

No... wait... the Canadians are in the hills....

Run away from the hills, run away from the hills.

Meow Purr.

OMG the Russians are coming the Russians are coming.

Run away run away... head for the hills, head for the hills.

No... wait... the Canadians are in the hills....

Run away from the hills, run away from the hills.

Meow Purr.

Remember that film? Was the funniest thing I have ever seen about the cold war.

Remember that film? Was the funniest thing I have ever seen about the cold war.

Which film ? (are you thinking of Canadian Bacon ? )

Meow Purr ?

Which film ? (are you thinking of Canadian Bacon ? )

Meow Purr ?

The Russians are Coming

I call BS on your identity.

Massive Soviet Build-up in the Arctic and North Atlantic.

We have running missions out of CFS Alert with the Inuit Rangers. This is way up in the Arctic. Our unit is Canadian Forces Crypto Maintenance Unit (CFCMU) but we also have a crossover role as combat engineers. We have noticed heavy Soviet build-up in the Arctic since may.

Soviet?

We have buzzed and fired upon dozens of times by RED Fighters, the ones with Plasma Stealth. We call em S-37's.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russian_Bo...oss_Arctic.html

S-37s? You mean Su-37s? The S-37 is still being tested. Plasma Stealth?

Our F18's are great but they scramble out of Cold Lake or Alaska. The Reds got a base much closer. Radar won't pick em up.

F18s? I've never heard of any member of the CF refer to them by that improper name. They are called CF-18s.

In June one of our patrols got hit with small arms, they were in a Bv206S... an amphibious APC.

THey were hit with small arms? BS. Why would they be? What would be the reason for the Russians to fire pot-shots at BV206s? Furthermore, BV206s would pretty much be sitting ducks against such an enemy, if they were intent on firing at you, you would not have survived. I've been in a BV206 plenty of times, I know that they are far from the fastest, most defendable vehicle in the military.

We are supposed to do regular Sovernty patrols but nobody is going far from base. Supposedly an F-22 from Alaska Penetrated RED airspace and gotta high res pics of 12 brigades on the move.

12 brigades on the move? Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea of the number of troops needed to form 12 brigades?

It was downed a CF-188A .... what you call an F18.

Now you are calling it by its over-proper name... which, again, I've not met anyone in the CF (Far less the army itsself) call it that.

We are getting invaded, infiltrated and rec'eed left to right.

On the other hand, you do know the overly-canadian military term, "recce"...

Perhaps I am wrong about your identity.

No I didn't, but seeing as how you are so well versed in video games that pretty much rules you out from being an operator

He never claimed to be one. CFCSU is far from being qualified a special operations unit.

"such as"... a hypothesis. Tell me, how do these helicopters get there ?

... Perhaps they fly there...?

Canrock, I want to know... what will you say if, within the next 2 weeks, there's no news of a Tu-160 crashing in the arctic?

I'll be at the North 54 Bar/grill at CFB Cold Lake Sunday Aug4....about 9pm.

Any of you weenies got the balls to show.... I'll show ya the pics.

Flames cap and an black Alpha Jacket.

Do you mean Saturday August 4th or Sunday August 5th?

Russia is utilizing important resources that can be exploited under the arctic as they will become necessary for the War on Terror we are fighting, Russia has been involved in the War on Terror for a long time, and i think we should all applaud their willingness to help contribute to this global conflict.

Are Russians welcome? CFB? Which flames cap and black alpha jacket? Do we sneak about whispering 'canrock', seeking a guy with a twitchy eye and headset? Can we make it 8pm because by 9pm there's a reasonable chance you'll be stress posing in a small, dark room somewhere? Better still, just scan the damn things and post them. Ooh, repro rights, forgot about that. Sign with an agency and then post them.

Sunday 9pm, hmm, is this aimed at an instant media bidding frenzy for that big story in Monday's papers?

... Perhaps they fly there...?

OMG.. you mean that the Americans have invented a FLYING helicopter ? Now THAT'S clever that is ! :P

seriously though, heavy-lift helicopters only have a range of a few hundreds of miles. Where would they fly FROM to get to the Artic ?

Not that it matters, 'cos there was NO Tu-160 bomber for them to pick up and load onto the barge. Not that they COULD pick up a Tu-160, nor would it have fitted onto the barge. Which wasn't there anyway. It was sunk by the sole existing (unarmed) prototype of the Su-37/47 en route, having previously collided with a Russian mini-submarine that was smuggling CF-18's into Saudi Arabia via a small island near Alberta.. errr...

I think I need to go back and re-read this thread again.

<reads thread>

Nope... I think I got it just about right there. :D

Meow Purr.

Nope... I think I got it just about right there. :D

Meow Purr.

I think that this thread could make a h*** of a novella :w00t: