Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You can't name your restaurant Fat Buddha

EmpressStarXVII

You can't name your restaurant Fat Buddha because it offends Buddhists says council

By ANDREW CHAPMAN - More by this author » Last updated at 20:00pm on 22nd July 2007

linked-image

In China he is a symbol of health and happiness. But tell that to the politically correct council officer who objected to a restaurant being called Fat Buddha...because it might offend Buddhists

A Buddhist businessman who wants to call his Chinese restaurant Fat Buddha has angered council chiefs - who claim the name will upset Buddhists.

Eddie Fung's £1.3million restaurant will open in Durham next month, creating 60 jobs.

"The generic descriptive adjective of "fat" is not in itself a derogatory term when applied generally the name implies an Eastern offer as it is associated with a religion that grew from Asian countries. It does not, however, offer vegetarian cuisine solely nor does it refer to Buddhist belief systems. The name is provocative."

Durham City Council defended her position, saying: "The department felt the name was inappropriate in a city founded on faith. We don't want to offend anyone because of the different faiths that come to the city. The council operates a strict non-discriminatory equal-opportunities and diversity policy across the board."

Miss Ingle added: "I stand by the letter, which asked the restaurant owners to rename the place. That is where we are now.

Source and full article here.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jesspy

• EmpressStarXVII

• She-ra

• The Mule

Top Posters In This Topic

A Buddhist businessman
he IS buddhist. he WILL NOT harras his own religion. are any buddhist mad there ???

Miss Ingle added: "I stand by the letter, which asked the restaurant owners to rename the place. That is where we are now.
are you buddhist ???????

FAT for asian means wealthy not derogatory.

If it,s a Buddhist resteraunt and they don,t mind then people should stay out of it! If it was done in a way to disrespect fine, i get it. But this doesn,t sound like any disrespectful act! I guess some people arn,t happy unless there pointing that P.C. finger at someone! :no:

Skinny Buddha would be offensive, but how can we expect anybody of the Durham City Council to know that?

Sometimes I wonder if political correctness is not just a tool to reduce peoples brains.

How about PHAT BUDDAH... would that work? Hee hee;) Jody

lol

its just a name really or is it?

I would then see if "Villiage of Idiots" were acceptable

lol

its just a name really or is it?

You know PHAT...PH sounded out like "F"...

You DO KNOW what PHAT means, right? :o

LOL. I would hope so, PHAT has been around for years now. But, we know how some of these people don't have a sense of humour like we do!

Edited by glorybebe

yeah i do

i was making reference to the whole name of the restaurant in the sense they should call it what they want its just a name. And "the or is it?" was me questioning if having "buddha" in a name is really that offensive.

I mean you dont see restaurants with Jesus or Mohammed in the titles i dont just ignore me

How about PHAT BUDDAH... would that work? Hee hee;) Jody

Ha! Now that is what you call witt!

Gotta play it safe and be politically correct in todays society.

Whats with the trend lately of caring if you offend people. Being offended is a choice. For many years I was a devout Christian, and heard all manner of things that should have been offensive. I chose to not let it bother me.

People are such cry baby sissy's these days. Get over it. get used ot it, and more importantly suck it up! People say mean and hateful things and dangit they should have the right to do so!