Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yobs turning cities into no go areas

chemical-licker

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20070724/...as-45dbed5.html

Town and city centres are becoming no go areas after dark, with drunken yobs behaving like "an occupying army", MPs have warned.

he Commons Public Accounts Committee issued a hard-hitting report which warned that a small proportion of families and individuals were causing "misery and despair" to communities, particularly in the most deprived areas.Committee chairman Edward Leigh called for "absolutely rigorous" action against a hardcore of offenders who regarded anti-social behaviour orders as "part and parcel of their way of life".

The report criticised the Home Office for failing to carry out adequate research into which measures worked best in tackling and preventing bad behaviour.

It found that 65% of people stopped misbehaving after a single intervention - often a simple warning letter.

Some 93% of those studied had given up anti-social behaviour after three brushes with the authorities, but a hardcore continued regardless.

Just 20% of the individuals accounted for more than half of the interventions and, among this group, those with convictions had an average of 50 each.

One person had 271 criminal convictions and had breached his Asbo 25 times.

Mr Leigh said: "Behaviour ranges from drunken skylarking and intimidation to out-and-out criminal activity.

"No civilised country should have to put up with what can seem like an occupying army loose in the streets."

He said the financial cost of responding to such anti-social behaviour was £3.4bn a year.

bring back the good ole cane ;) discipline i say

Edited by Tiggs
Merged Posts

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bella-Angelique

• Bill Hill

• EmpressStarXVII

• Moon Monkey

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in Los Angeles. I am a white guy. My entire neighborhood was a no-go area for white people. I just don't see anyway to fix the problems, in the community I grew up in fighting, killing, and jailtime were all considered admirable things. When the culture gets that screwed up I just think it is past being fixed by canes and corporal punishment.

What is a yob? Trouble maker? Or is this a slang term for something more specific?

Edited by EmpressStarXVII

What is a yob? Trouble maker? Or is this a slang term for something more specific?

yob Pronunciation Key

n. Chiefly British Slang

A rowdy, aggressive, or violent young man.

Although it's kinda used by posh people..it would look a bit weird, if you walked in the pub and said 'this town is full of yobs!" B)

Edited by billyhill

Put chips in repeat offenders and keep them watched at all times electronically.

yob Pronunciation Key

n. Chiefly British Slang

A rowdy, aggressive, or violent young man.

Although it's kinda used by posh people..it would look a bit weird, if you walked in the pub and said 'this town is full of yobs!" B)

Oh yes in deed. It would look quite odd. Afterall, what else can you expect from a privileged white girl who joins a religion that is not accustomed to her own kind because it is exotic.

:-*

Afterall, what else can you expect from a privileged white girl who joins a religion that is not accustomed to her own kind because it is exotic.

:-*

Who said that? :unsure2: That's well out of order...

Whilst the police are out catching speeding motorists they have been turning a blind eye to the gangs of kids gathered outside any row of shops, on any estate , in any town drinking alcopops, cheap lager and causing general mayhem by threatening passers-by, vandalising and smashing bottles/littering. Back in the day the beat copper would have taken the drink off us, given us a slap if we were cheeky and taken us home even though we caused no trouble and were respectful of the passing public. Now, rather than going back to the proven method, the government have introduced "community cops", a powerless joke that the kids just laugh at.

These same kids then grow a little older and maintain the same attitude around the city/town centres on the weekend when faced with the same community cops and thinly spead real police, who are taken off the street for hours for each arrest. CCTV cams have been the direction the government has chosen, these are quickly broken by the kids or often too grainy for use as evidence, either way these drunken fools will do as they please or attack you as they are too drunk and stupid to consider the repercussions if caught (or have decided on the balance of probabilities they wont get caught or if caught they face a quick slap on the wrist) and I pity the fool considering the late night bus/train/tram home as there is a guaranteed fight every time with no security or protection at all for the normal public.

Forget global warming, Iraq etc. this is the sort of thing the government could sort out and would make a big difference to normal peoples everyday lives

Edited by Moon Monkey

I think we have a problem here that is not going to go away by police methods. We were all kind of "wild"as kids. The difference was that there was something to look forward to if you didn't overdo it. With Yobs, Punks and Gang members that does not seem to be the case. The best they see in their future is winning the lotto or becoming a rich drug dealer. No Future is a very dangerous philosophy for any society.

No Future[/i] is a very dangerous philosophy for any society.

I was having that discussion with someone last night, that the young are being told more or less that this is as good as it gets, that from now on it can only get worse, and that there is nothing really new or wonderful that is attainable in their lifetimes.

I think those in power globally are reflecting their own grief over aging and passing, and their own desires to maintain things the way they are so their power structures are undisturbed. They regard real change as an enemy that can and will destroy them.

They are probably right and they probably need to have their power destroyed from the looks of things. They have turned the planet into a stagnant and decaying place.