Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Italians say make doping legal

swtp

MILAN (Reuters) - Italian cycling fans believe making doping legal is the best way to save their troubled sport, according to a popular survey on Wednesday.

The Astana team pulled out of the Tour de France on Tuesday after Kazakh rider Alexander Vinokourov tested positive in the latest in a string of doping scandals to rock cycling.

Italy has especially suffered, with 2006 Giro d'Italia champion Ivan Basso serving a two-year ban for attempted doping and several other riders being implicated in probes.

A survey on www.gazzetta.it, Italy's most popular sport Web site, showed 19.5 percent of respondents wanted doping to be legalised while a press ban on covering cycling was the second most popular proposal with 18.3 percent of the vote.

Halting the sport for one or two seasons to drive out cheats was the third most backed suggestion among nearly 4,000 people who voted, with six other proposals gaining smaller percentages.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swtp

• Oxymoron

• questionmark

• ships-cat

Goes right in the line of my proposal a few years back, besides the Olympics and the Paralympics we could have the Frankenstein Olympics --- everything goes. Instead of athletes from different countries there should be teams doped by Bayer and Glaxo and Merck.

IMO, Any athlete that uses perfomance inhancing drugs to compete is not winning anything! It,s suposed to be man against the challenge,and if you win because of drugs then the drug company should get the medal! After all it was the drug that made the win,not the athlete!

IMO, Any athlete that uses perfomance inhancing drugs to compete is not winning anything! It,s suposed to be man against the challenge,and if you win because of drugs then the drug company should get the medal! After all it was the drug that made the win,not the athlete!

The problem is that this is not about winning, it is not about athletics it is about MONEY, a lot of it.

The problem is that this is not about winning, it is not about athletics it is about MONEY, a lot of it.

Very true! Thats what makes a joke out of a lot of the sports out there now, kills the joy of it all!

Goes right in the line of my proposal a few years back, besides the Olympics and the Paralympics we could have the Frankenstein Olympics --- everything goes. Instead of athletes from different countries there should be teams doped by Bayer and Glaxo and Merck.

ROFLMFAO :lol:

On a different note, M. Rasmussen, the leader of the Tour de France has been suspended by its team, doping is presumed.

His team-mate Loreney has been caught with the hands in the doping jar.

What is wrong with doping?

Its the athletes desicions just as much as it is becoming a box er and getting your brains beat out of you. WHat the difference? You take the steriods they help you win it does hurt your health but so does getting hit by a 400 popund line backer.

Its the athletes desicions just as much as it is becoming a box er and getting your brains beat out of you. WHat the difference? You take the steriods they help you win it does hurt your health but so does getting hit by a 400 popund line backer.

Personally i don,t care if they dope up, just don,t call yourself a winner when you come in first and don,t call yourself the strongest ! because it,s not you thats winning and it,s not you who became strong through hard work and training! It,s the drugs that got the job done,and even that so called winning athlete will never know if they were really good enough! The real winners are the athletes that train and push their bodies to maximum endurance and ability without the aid of drugs and they should be competing with others who face the challenge as honestly as they do! Thats when an amazing win is a real credit! Give anyone a bunch of drugs and they will be able to get their bodies to do things that it can,t do normally on it,s own,Big Whoop! thats nothing to admire!

It's not about safety, it's about keeping the competition fair.

Hypothetical what if tommorow reebok comes out with a new sneaker that lets basketball players jump 12" extra inches vertical, but it hurts their ankles and limits their careers is that alright?

LEts compare 1920's baseball and today aside from anabolics.

1920 shoes-----2007 Light sneakers with clits.

1920 small ball parks---2007 Huge parks (harder to hit homerun)

1920 No conditioning couches, no team doctors, no trainers,no personal chefs, limited wieght equipment------2007 all of the above

I think it is perfectly fair for technology that includes bionics and chemistry to keep sports progressing along with the rest of society. Listen if all you do is take steriods you we all would be pro athletes, it still takes dedication, effort, will power to become an elite steriods just help them achieve their goals.

Edited by Oxymoron

It's not about safety, it's about keeping the competition fair.

Oooh - what an interesting thread. Initially, I was part of the "ban drugs... lets have fair sport" wing.

But some of these comments have set me thinking. (for which I thank you all).

God did not make man to ride sports bicycles. (otherwise we would not have that irritating gap between our buttocks).

Soooo... Imagine two teams...

Team 1: practising daily on bicycles... aiming for speed, stamina, and how to dodge water bottles flung by well-meaning spectators. Much gymnasium activity. Health foods... biometric/biodynamic advice... non of which is normal in the human species. From the perspective of evolution, riding bycicles very fast is not a basic survival strategy.

Team 2: As per above, but also take artificialy-created drugs. (also not normal in the human species). Also not a basic survival strategy.

Hmmm.....both strategies seem to be divorced from Homo Sapiens, and appear to be aimed at creating Homo Velocipe. Therefore both approaches are - simultanously - equally invalid, and equally valid.

Having carefully analysed the 'pro's' and 'con's, I've come to the conclusion that I don't care either way.

Personaly, if I need to get from A to B, then given the option of dressing up in Lyrcra, wearing a gimpy helmet, and training to extremes and taking dangerous drugs, then the Cat's response is to book a Taxi.

This is the View from the Catbasket.

Meow Purr.

Hypothetical what if tommorow reebok comes out with a new sneaker that lets basketball players jump 12" extra inches vertical, but it hurts their ankles and limits their careers is that alright?

LEts compare 1920's baseball and today aside from anabolics.

1920 shoes-----2007 Light sneakers with clits.

1920 small ball parks---2007 Huge parks (harder to hit homerun)

1920 No conditioning couches, no team doctors, no trainers,no personal chefs, limited wieght equipment------2007 all of the above

I think it is perfectly fair for technology that includes bionics and chemistry to keep sports progressing along with the rest of society. Listen if all you do is take steriods you wont become a pro, it still takes dedication, effort, will power to become an elite steriods just help them achieve their goals.

Better and safer equiptment is far different than drugs and if athletes are useing equiptment that harms or injures their bodies, then they will be out of the compitition long before they know how far they could have gone and thats a shame! Drugs in sports doesn,t further the sport along it makes it predictable and boring and unfair to those who take on the the challenge to honestly see what the human body is capable of doing on it,s own!

New Thought; Why don,t we create a Roiders and Cheaters olympics wher anything goes ,No rules just whatever you gotta do to win! Go ahead take drugs, trip the guy next to ya ,sucker punch,whatever after all it,s only to help the sport and athlete to get ahead! And then we can have the honest human against the challenge olympics where people use hard work, training, skill,talent and dedication! Then everyone will be happy!

If i put an ace up my sleeve it might help me to win and further my carrer as a poker player,Till someone shoots me for cheating! Plain and simple,steroids is cheating and it,s wrong!!!

Edited by swtp

New Thought; Why don,t we create a Roiders and Cheaters olympics wher anything goes ,No rules just whatever you gotta do to win! Go ahead take drugs, trip the guy next to ya ,sucker punch,whatever after all it,s only to help the sport and athlete to get ahead! And then we can have the honest human against the challenge olympics where people use hard work, training, skill,talent and dedication! Then everyone will be happy!

If i put an ace up my sleeve it might help me to win and further my carrer as a poker player,Till someone shoots me for cheating! Plain and simple,steroids is cheating and it,s wrong!!!

Yup - this gets the 'Cat's vote :D

Meow Purr.

The ARD (Germany's national TV) reports that the city of Stuttgart is considering canceling the world cycling championship due to the doping incidents of the last days.

I think the hate that is generated by Steriods is actually jealosy from a the Joe no body towards the absolute great athletes.

I think the hate that is generated by Steriods is actually jealosy from a the Joe no body towards the absolute great athletes.

No the hate is towards those who cheat.

On another note: next one at the Tour the France with a positive doping sample.

No the hate is towards those who cheat.

On another note: next one at the Tour the France with a positive doping sample.

How is it cheating??? IS drinking gatorade cheating, what about protien bars, wieght lifting, new lighter bikes, new aerodynamic helmet, come on its still the heart that makes the champion

How is it cheating??? IS drinking gatorade cheating, what about protien bars, wieght lifting, new lighter bikes, new aerodynamic helmet, come on its still the heart that makes the champion

what about the guy who doesn't want to take drugs, just rule him out of the competition? or how about fitting a small concealed motor into the frame of the bike, just to help you up hill of course.

what about the guy who doesn't want to take drugs, just rule him out of the competition? or how about fitting a small concealed motor into the frame of the bike, just to help you up hill of course.

Listen steriods do not make you a pro it helps you achieve more, so any one who works hard and has talent has same chance, steriods just help peak performance, it is not a motor in a bike which garuantees vitory its like making the bike lighter and fster using technology this is technology for the humans.