Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attempt to Sabotage ISS Computer

Waspie_Dwarf

The BBC has just run a breaking news story that a NASA employee has sabotaged a computer due to be launched to the ISS on board the Shuttle Endeavour. I will post more on this story as soon as it becomes available.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Techlicious

• MID

• questionmark

look forward to hearing more on this as well as WHY an employee would do such a thing

look forward to hearing more on this as well as WHY an employee would do such a thing

Indeed, I also wonder why someone would try and sabotage the computer...

Seen it too, evidently there are some cut cables but it is not established if it was incompetence or sabotage.

Seen it too, evidently there are some cut cables but it is not established if it was incompetence or sabotage.

This is from the BBC:

The US space agency said the damage to wiring in a network box was intentional and obvious, but said it could be repaired before take-off on 7 August.

It's not been a good day for NASA as they have admitted that some Astronauts were drunk during shuttle launches. I will post more on that when the official statement is made.

The full BBC story is HERE

This is from the BBC:

It's not been a good day for NASA as they have admitted that some Astronauts were drunk during shuttle launches. I will post more on that when the official statement is made.

The full BBC story is HERE

Not a good day, definitely.

July 26

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — A space program worker deliberately damaged a computer that is supposed to fly aboard shuttle Endeavour in less than two weeks, an act of sabotage that was caught before the equipment was loaded onto the spaceship.

The unidentified employee, who works for a NASA subcontractor, cut wires inside the computer that is supposed to be delivered to the international space station by Endeavour. The subcontractor notified NASA 1 1/2 weeks ago about the matter, as soon as it discovered the damage to the non-flying computer.

The computer is supposed to measure the strain on a space station beam and relay the information to flight controllers on Earth.

The damage would have posed no danger to either shuttle or station astronauts, said NASA's space operations chief. The worker also damaged a similar computer that was not meant to fly in space, he said.

NASA immediately checked the computer at the Kennedy Space Center and discovered the additional damage.

NASA hopes to fix the computer and launch it Aug. 7 as planned aboard Endeavour.

go

why is NASA so skandolous

Do you have any evidence that NASA suffers from more problems than any other US Government agency?

Incidentally this event almost certainly did not occur within NASA but whilst the computers were at a private a contractor. The fact that NASA discovered the sabotage before the computers were launched suggests that in this case NASA employees did their jobs.

Do you have any evidence that NASA suffers from more problems than any other US Government agency?

Incidentally this event almost certainly did not occur within NASA but whilst the computers were at a private a contractor. The fact that NASA discovered the sabotage before the computers were launched suggests that in this case NASA employees did their jobs.

yeah but NASA is always in the news covering up things

yeah but NASA is always in the news covering up things

Let's give some examples as to why your comments are meaningless shall we?

One astronaut in around 50 years has been arrested for criminal behaviour. How many postmen have been arrested in the same time? Are astronauts more or less law abiding than postmen? I don't know the answer, but what I do know is that if a female postal worker tried to kidnap a love rival the coverage it would get on TV would be next to zero and the Post Office would not be having a huge enquiry into the healthcare of it's work force.

There are claims that two Astronauts were drunk on duty (claims only, no actual evidence has been presented). How many police officers have been drunk on duty during the same period? Are instances of police being caught drunk on duty reported on TV across the world? Of course not. Are NASA astronauts more likely to have a drink problem than the police? Again I don't know, do you?

Some NASA employees have been accused of embezzlement. How many government employees have been accused of embezzlement since the formation of NASA? Is NASA more prone to this crime than other departments, less prone or about the same?

So I ask again: do you have any evidence that NASA suffers from more problems than any other US Government agency?

Let's give some examples as to why your comments are meaningless shall we?

One astronaut in around 50 years has been arrested for criminal behaviour. How many postmen have been arrested in the same time? Are astronauts more or less law abiding than postmen? I don't know the answer, but what I do know is that if a female postal worker tried to kidnap a love rival the coverage it would get on TV would be next to zero and the Post Office would not be having a huge enquiry into the healthcare of it's work force.

There are claims that two Astronauts were drunk on duty (claims only, no actual evidence has been presented). How many police officers have been drunk on duty during the same period? Are instances of police being caught drunk on duty reported on TV across the world? Of course not. Are NASA astronauts more likely to have a drink problem than the police? Again I don't know, do you?

Some NASA employees have been accused of embezzlement. How many government employees have been accused of embezzlement since the formation of NASA? Is NASA more prone to this crime than other departments, less prone or about the same?

So I ask again: do you have any evidence that NASA suffers from more problems than any other US Government agency?

im not saying they are the MOST skandolous ,just that they are skandolous and the difference between NASA and any other office job is that NASA is actually dealing with important stuff - the space program, and research that the scientific community relies on . it should have a reputation of trust and not incompetence.

im not saying they are the MOST skandolous ,just that they are skandolous and the difference between NASA and any other office job is that NASA is actually dealing with important stuff - the space program, and research that the scientific community relies on . it should have a reputation of trust and not incompetence.

I didn't say you were claiming they were the most scandalous, I just asked you to provide evidence that they had a high degree of scandal.

Your exact statement was, "why are NASA so scandalous?" (Well actually it was "why is NASA so skandolous but near enough) implying that NASA has more scandal than is reasonable. Despite this claim you have not managed to produce a single piece of evidence to back it up apart from the extremely vague, "yeah but NASA is always in the news covering up things".

You also seem to be implying that other government organisations aren't as important. So the Government office jobs that deal with the billions of dollars of tax, the fire department, the police, the military, the building departments and so on, don't do important stuff? Sorry Fox, but unless you can back up you accusations that NASA is "so scandalous" with actual evidence your comments remain meaningless.

NASA (like any other organisation on Earth) employs human beings and so will have all the failings that go with them. All organisations will suffer from human mistakes and human dishonesty, it is (sadly) normal and to be expected. If an organisation suffers from a normal or below normal level of problems it can not accurately be described as "so scandalous". The perception of scandal can also be distorted if the media tend to focus on a group or organisation in a disproportionate manner (e.g. allegations of 2 drunk astronauts = front page news, allegations of 20 drunk fighter pilots = no news coverage at all).

So, for a third time, I ask; do you have any evidence at all that NASA has a higher than expected degree of scandals?

ok so ur just saying they re no different or what? i can livew with that

No, what I am saying is that your first post in this thread is meaningless unless you can support your claim that NASA is a scandal filled organisation. You made a claim NOT me. I have simply asked if you can support your claim. I have asked three times prior to this post and you have totally failed to produce any supporting evidence for your claim three times prior to this post.

You have a habit of commenting in threads with rather meaningless one sentence posts (like your first post in this thread). I'm simply calling your bluff and actually trying to get you to engage in some worthwhile debate, rather than you simply making a comment which is little short of spam. So far I suspect that I am wasting my time.

No, what I am saying is that your first post in this thread is meaningless unless you can support your claim that NASA is a scandal filled organisation. You made a claim NOT me. I have simply asked if you can support your claim. I have asked three times prior to this post and you have totally failed to produce any supporting evidence for your claim three times prior to this post.

You have a habit of commenting in threads with rather meaningless one sentence posts (like your first post in this thread). I'm simply calling your bluff and actually trying to get you to engage in some worthwhile debate, rather than you simply making a comment which is little short of spam. So far I suspect that I am wasting my time.

yeah u are wasting ur time

Edited by FoxMccloud

Fox, I do appreciate you being the bigger man and agreeing that your posts are empty and not supported by fact. Now I know that when I see your name next to post in a thread, I can bypass it - as it is merely typed diarrhea.

Thank you, WaspieDwarf.

yeah u are wasting ur time

I could tell when I observed u (you) writing with such phrases as u r (for you are), and ur (for you're).

Fox, I do appreciate you being the bigger man and agreeing that your posts are empty and not supported by fact.

Empty, pointless posting (which it certainly seems that FoxMcCloud is admitting to) is disallowed by the terms and conditions of the site:

2. Post content

Please read and understand the following before posting:

2e. Garbage posting: Do not deliberately make posts of little worth or that contain nonsense. This is usually done either for the purpose of increasing post count or to disrupt the forum by doing so in an attempt to bait others in to responding.

I could tell when I observed u (you) writing with such phrases as u r (for you are), and ur (for you're).

A difficult one this as on the one hand I would discourage people from attacking other members on grounds of spelling (there are all sorts of reasons why their spelling maybe poor including English not being a first language, age or dyslexia). On the other hand mobile phone text speak (which would appear to be what FoxMccloud is using) is specifically banned from this website:

2g. Language:As this is an English speaking forum we ask that our members post only in English. Mobile phone shorthand, fictional languages and "leetspeak" are disallowed.

My advice to Fox (or anyone else) would be if you have something worthwhile to say by all means post away untill your heart is content. If you have nothing worthwhile to say then it is best to say nothing.

This thread has gone way off topic (something for which I must take my share of the blame even though my intention was to try and stimulate an on topic discussion).

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300 C.

The Russians used a pencil.

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300 C.

How this is supposed to prove that modern NASA is a scandal filled organisation I really do not know.

The space pen story is an often quoted urban legend. It is also untrue. The cost is usually quote in MILLIONS of dollars, not TENS OF BILLIONS. By quoting the cost in tens of billions of dollars (which is a patently ludicrous claim, you could buy a fleet of space shuttles for that) you (or more likely, given the style, the site you cut and pasted this story from*) have made this story around ten thousand times more wrong than it usually is.

In actual fact the Fisher Space Pen was developed privately. In 1967 NASA bought 400 of them at a cost of $2.95 each (total cost to the US tax payer $1,180). Before they bought the Fisher Space Pens NASA astronauts used... PENCILS. Guess what Soviet cosmonauts replaced their pencils with... yep, the Fisher Space Pen.

Here is the snopes.com page on the space pen myth: LINK

*Fox, if you cut and paste from another site please remember to provide a source link.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

we are having no progress in human flight in space because of NASA

What is that supposed to mean? This seems to be another in a long line of single sentence post that has no value. Fox, I really suggest that you think about your posts follow my advice and make a well reasoned point rather than the garbage posts you are currently making.

To try and clarify your point (such as it is):

• What does it have to do with the sabotage of the NASA computers (the original topic) or your claim that NASA is "so scandalous"?
  • You've heard this question before; what evidence do you have to back up your claim?
  • Do you claim that the International Space Station has not resulted in any progress?
  • Do you make the same claim for the Shuttle, Skylab, Apollo, Gemini and Mercury (all of them NASA programmes)?
  • Do you believe that the Constellation programme, which is developing the Orion spacecraft will not result in progress? Constellation will take over from the shuttle in around 2012 (the shuttles will be retired in 2010).
  • Do you believe that Constellation returning the USA to the Moon in around 2018 will not be progress?
  • Do you believe that NASA building a permanent Moon base (as is their current intention) will not be progress?
  • Do you believe that NASA sending men to Mars (as is their current intention) will not be progress?
  • Do you accept that NASA is restricted by both budget and the political decisions of the incumbent President (factors beyond their control)?

I would be interested to hear your response to these questions because I doubt a one sentence reply is going to cut it this time.

Baloney. 12 billion? That is utterly nuts!

NASA spent nothing on the pen. Fisher Pen Company spent their money (About 1 million $, sans NASA funding) and a couple years developing the pen, on their own (an American entreprenurial piece of genius, which used to qualify American ingenuity). They sent it to NASA, and NASA tested it, and they bought it, for cheap ( about 6 bucks a pop)! This was an American company inspired who spent their own money to develop a pen that could be used in space. They've made their money back, which is rightly deserved....

p.s., the U.S was using pencils as well before Fisher developed their pen. The Soviets used the Fisher pen subsequently, and today, the Fisher pens are still used!

p.s., you can buy the original AG7 used by Apollo astronauts for about $50.00 (US) today (the model they use on the Shuttle runs about $40.00).