Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rocket explodes at Mojave- 2 dead, 4 injured

Waspie_Dwarf

In a day that has contained so much bad news for spaceflight in the USA things have got worse.

An explosion has occured at Mojave Airport. It is from here that SpaceShipOne was launched to become the first private manned spacecraft. It is the head quarters of the Scaled Composites which built SpaceShipOne and is currently building SpaceShipTwo for Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic company. Reports are saying that this company is involved in the explosion, possibly during a test of SpaceShipTwo's rocket engine.

Links to sources:

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• DДrk_Lotu§

• The Silver Thong

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus what a shame hopefully things will take a turn for the better for spaceflight

Jesus what a shame hopefully things will take a turn for the better for spaceflight

Oh so true! This may set things back awhile for private space flight as I think it is the next logical move in man's search for the ultimate. The ultimate what you say? I don't know but it has always been a dream to go to space. Hell I'll volunteer as the first monkey on Mars.

I'm with ya it's my dream as well that in my lifetime i may be able to go up there anywhere, space, the moon, mars anywhere

This may set things back awhile for private space flight

I suspect it will only be a blip for space tourism. When air travel started it was dangerous and very expensive. For many "rich young things" I suspect that the danger was part of the attraction. No doubt the same will be true in the early years of private spaceflight.

As this is just a test it will be largely forgotten by the time that SpaceShipTwo makes it's maiden flight. There will be other accidents though. At some stage a tourist flight will end in tragedy and we have to prepare for that.

Sadly, the Los Angeles Times and the Bakersfield Californian are reporting that a third person has lost their life as a result of this accident. 3 others remain seriously hurt.

Links to sources: