Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

our world at night

telirium

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Picturesque Orion

• Waspie_Dwarf

• telirium

• Raptor

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what ... Thats an awesome shot. Very nice telirium. Very nice indeed.

Gene

So sad the pic is computer generated.

how do you know its computer generated?

I saw this picture before somewhere and it said that there, don't remember where though. It's ok if you don't agree with me................ not my fault. :hmm:

So sad the pic is computer generated.

It isn't computer generated. It is a composite of hundreds of individual photographs taken by satellite. It was the image for 27th November 2000 on the NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) site. More can be read on this image there: APOD 27-11-2000

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

It isn't computer generated. It is a composite of hundreds of individual photographs taken by satellite. It was the image for 27th November 2000 on the NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) site. More can be read on this image there: APOD 27-11-2000

Oh, really sorry then, truely shows you musn't believe everything you read on the internet..............

That is so neat :) Interesting to look at.

Thanks for sharing that Waspie :tu:

Does any one know what the exposure time was for each individual photograph?

I'm not sure about exposure times. As I understand it the system scans line by line. More details on the imaging system can be found HERE.

Thanks for sharing that Waspie :tu:

Don't thank me, thank telirium, he/she started the thread.

thank you Waspie for resizing the picture. :) i debated for a good 10 minutes on whether i should post it on account of how large it is. im a he btw ^_^ also this is not a true representation of the world at night because darkness does not cover the whole of the earth at one time.

Edited by telirium

thank you Waspie for resizing the picture. :) i debated for a good 10 minutes on whether i should post it on account of how large it is. im a he btw ^_^ also this is not a true representation of the world at night because darkness does not cover the whole of the earth at one time.

yes. they thread together the night time in each section to make it as if the whole world cloaked in darkness. thanks great picture.

Whoah!!!!!!!!!! You can actually see the place I grew up in on that pic.

Look at Alaska, the dot in the middle of the states my hometown! XD

Thank you Telirium,

Amazing sight to see! Half of America is completly lit up while the Western side is sporadic except its coastline.

So now we see whose wasting energy by leaving thier lights on at night!? ^_^

I've seen this pic before. At first I thought it was a fake, cause I was thinking "but the whole world isn't at night at the same time"

but then I read Waspie_Dwarf's post xD

It is very cool though. I love how Japan is all lighted up lol

South Korea is completely lit up, while North Korea is in darkness. Pretty strange.

Wow that is pretty weird...... anybody has a reasonable explenation to this darkness in north korea?

Wow that is pretty weird...... anybody has a reasonable explenation to this darkness in north korea?

Yes, the poor economy of the North. It is a country which can not feed itself, is suffering starvation and simply does not have the resources that the South has. As a result there is far less street lighting and illuminated buildings.

Edited to add:

for another example of this look at South Africa. By African standards this is a rich and developed nation. It is fairly well illuminated when you compare it to it's neighbours.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Yes, the poor economy of the North. It is a country which can not feed itself, is suffering starvation and simply does not have the resources that the South has. As a result there is far less street lighting and illuminated buildings.

And behind all this they have a nuclear programm?!?! :mellow:

And behind all this they have a nuclear programm?!?! :mellow:

This is WHY they have a nuclear programme.

Do you believe they only have a nuclear program for electric power and jobs?

So they kill their citizens of hunger, cold and thirst just to be able to kill more people? You know...... sometimes I can't believe I am living in a world like this....... :angry2: