Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient gold necklace worn by shop assistant

Owlscrying

August 2

Archaeologists have found a valuable ancient gold necklace being worn by a cashier in a Bulgarian grocery after it was dug up by her husband.

Boris Todorov, 43, from Karlovo in Bulgaria dug up hundreds of fine gold rings from a field on his farm and put them together to make a gift for his wife.

But it was spotted by a group of archaeologists from the Bulgarian National Museum of History who were passing through - and went into her shop to buy provisions.

They immediately identified the necklace as extremely valuable and now say it dates back to 3,000 years BC.

The Director of the Bulgarian National Museum of History, said: "They almost passed out when they saw what the woman was wearing. It is a stunning discovery."

Experts believe a local civilisation buried jewels in fields as part of an elaborate prayer ritual.

go

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• Owlscrying

• Themis

• swtp

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

August 2

Archaeologists have found a valuable ancient gold necklace being worn by a cashier in a Bulgarian grocery after it was dug up by her husband.

Boris Todorov, 43, from Karlovo in Bulgaria dug up hundreds of fine gold rings from a field on his farm and put them together to make a gift for his wife.

But it was spotted by a group of archaeologists from the Bulgarian National Museum of History who were passing through - and went into her shop to buy provisions.

They immediately identified the necklace as extremely valuable and now say it dates back to 3,000 years BC.

The Director of the Bulgarian National Museum of History, said: "They almost passed out when they saw what the woman was wearing. It is a stunning discovery."

Experts believe a local civilisation buried jewels in fields as part of an elaborate prayer ritual.

go

Wow, I hope he didn't actually cut them to get them all together. I bet she almost fell over once they explained how old they were.

I was hoping there would be pictures!

The hoard would have been about 1'000BC... I'll have to check my timelines but that would make it borderline Bronze Age/Iron Age... What a find... that kind of thing is really rare...

Must have been amazing to wear it even for a short time!

Wow, I hope he didn't actually cut them to get them all together. I bet she almost fell over once they explained how old they were.

Exactly what i was thinking! I,d love to see the pics if anyone finds them!

Exactly what i was thinking! I,d love to see the pics if anyone finds them!

Me, too! It makes you wonder what else the man dug up. There could be some really cool things, I hope they keep coming out with articles on it.

STUNNING DISCOVERY INDEED! who would have thought that while your shopping you accidentally " discovered " an ancient artifact wore by a sales lady.

I don't know Bulgarian law, but do you think she got to keep anything? I think I would want to give or loan pieces to a museum.

I don't know Bulgarian law, but do you think she got to keep anything? I think I would want to give or loan pieces to a museum.

In the very least, her and her husband should get a finders fee of a fee hundred thousand if not in the millions if they can't keep the items.