Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hampton Court Ghost Caught on Camera

Lionel

user posted imageThis ghostly image was caught on CCTV at historic Hampton Court Palace, a home of King Henry VIII, and long reported to be haunted.The 16th Century palace in south-west London is well known for alleged supernatural activity, but nothing suspicious has been caught on film before.However, in October this year, this curious image was caught on the palace's CCTV footage.On several occasions security guards were alerted to an open fire door in an exhibition area of the palace.After securing the door each time, they returned to their office to view the CCTV footage to see who had opened them.On the first occasion the footage showed the doors flying wide open, but no evidence of why they had.

On the second, the guards were stunned when a ghostly figure in period dress suddenly appeared on the screen and closed the doors.The same thing happened on a third day, but again no figure appeared.Stranger still was that a visitor had noted in the palace's visitor book that she thought she had seen a ghost in that area.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Sky News

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scorpius

• Blood Angel

• Lionel

• greyghost

why dont they post the movie??? it does look very creepy, and looks quite real, but i wanna see the whole clip first! and until then, i'll have to assume, it's just a dummy in a doorway

It's fake, I'm afraid. Real footage, but real person dressed as a ghost. The figure even uses the handles of the modern fire doors!! rolleyes.gif

It's a hoax, probably just to scare the CCTV operators. However, Hampton Court's bosses have now had all this free publicity, which is why they've released the footage.

Wow... I saw the video of this on CNN Headline news earlier today!!! It was really impressive... but as Cufflink said.. he did use the door handles to open the door.

But as the figure is going back inside the door.. to me .. it looked as if the bottom of him.. like his knees to his feet ... that area became transparent... could this have been a video trick?

I am going to watch CNN news again tonight to see if they play the clip again.. and I will try to get a closer look.

I agree with doomgirl.. real or not.. it is very creepy!!!

(If anyone here's anything about it being proven a hoax.. please post it)!

why dont they post the movie??? it does look very creepy, and looks quite real, but i wanna see the whole clip first! and until then, i'll have to assume, it's just a dummy in a doorway

Here is an animated version of the image... Takes a while to download.

user posted image

Lionel,

Is it just me or does the moving video seem to show a slightly different angle than that of the still.

I also agree that it seems interesting that a "spirit" has to use modern handles to shut a door that didn't open without help. wink2.gif

1. That moving image IS taken at a different angle. It's jerky because the original film had more frames on it.

2. The still photo is taken from the original film, which hasn't been released to the public. I don't know why.

it's possible it's a tourist attracting stunt.

The ghost in the Photos

The animated film that Lionel posted seemed to be a cut n' pasted photograph in sequences. Compare a still photo of that to the one at the very top, you'll see that the top picture is larger than that of the animated version.

This may be the reason that that animated version seems to imply that the mounted camera is at an angle.

However, I do believe this photograph is real; I myself have several photos of a ghost, just as ghostly and quite clear as this, but in colour. I spotted this ghost that my father had photographed, while teaching a few of my cousins about photography, within the photos. The pictures was photographed at different times, with quite a time lapse, and yet the female ghost dressed in what looks like a 1900'th dress (old-fashioned, like a bell shaped dress that reached to the ground). I wasn't there at that particular place, but at a different place near the same area, which was at Bird's Hill Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada. In the picture is field of grass and a patch of trees several meters away, and this is where she had been spotted. I concluded that it couldn't have been an actual lady, seeing how the clouds in the pictures had moved further away and compared to other people seen in the photo and there positions and times. There is also a man (alive not a ghost), waiting for her wife who was using one of the washrooms. And I noticed that the lady would have to be standing there for quite sometime, if she were real. Also, i don't know why you would just be standing near a patch of trees and bushes, because clearly she wasn't with anyone with her, and there wasn't any colourful flowers near the area she was standing.

I'd post these photos with this reply, but seeing as how I have no scanner I’m not able to show it. My father had also enlarged the photos to get a better look at the ghost and in the last photo (due to the time lapse) is seen almost vanishing. To any skeptics out there, they may see this as a hoax, but seeing as my father was not teaching my cousins any form of trickery of a camera, only the basics (such as pressing the button, zooming in/out, etc.) it couldn't have possibly be a real woman.

There are also conflicting views with my aunties, who say they had seen an Indian (from India not an Aboriginal) in a purple dress, but this doesn’t explain the photo of the "ghost" vanishing. If this lady was real, you would still be able to see her clearly, but this wasn't the case. This also doesn't explain the style of dress she wore; no one wear's an old-fashioned dress, hence the term "old-fashioned". dontgetit.gifohmy.gif

A note on a ghosts closing doors:

A, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how to close a door, with any handle.

B, possibly this ghost has seen someone close the doors thousands of times and has learnt how to do it.

C, If B is true then this may be a sign that ghosts have intelligence and are able to learn like the living.

All thoery of course...

Blood Angel, what do you think an apparition or ghost is?

I thought ghosts were people of the dead that haven't passed on correctly and have yet to figure out or be helped to "cross-over".

What did you mean by "this ghost has seen someone close the doors thousands of times and has learnt how to do it."?

Don't they already know how to do these things? I'm don't understand your theory. Are you saying ghosts need to learn things?

Ok the point of my post was this, one person says it must be a fake because the ghost in question used modern handles to close the door, when no such handles existed in the supposed time period. What i am saying is countering this explanation with my own theory, that just like us, if we watch something happen numerous amounts of times we will remember how something works and are able to reproduce the same effect. Therefore if a ghosts watches someone open and close a door with modern handles multiple times eventually it will know how it works and can reproduce it. Possibly a ghost is nothing more than a concisousness, that is able to learn as if it was "alive" in the sense of a living person, and capable of remembering and problem solving. In simple words a ghost is not stupid, its as intelligent as the person it once was.

Oh, I get it. I should've got it the first time. I guess i was quick to judge in an ignorant manner--forgot to think very analytically before i had spoken.

You're saying they (ghosts or spirits) learn the way we do, like those who are alive. I got it.

Quotes that may apply to this situation:

"Practice makes perfect."

"Monkey see, monkey do."

Besides the fact it knows how to open doors, whats of more interest to me is how its able to manipulate objects.

Why would an non-coporeal being want to open a door?

I suppose they'll be eating at MacDonalds next. wink2.gif

IMHO. I think it's a fake, I've had a look at it frame by frame seems to have a lot of air-brushing in some places.

It's good though nice to see a new "ghost" on the block.

Regards

Happy New Year ppl. crying.gif

I dont know why people are going on about this problem with a ghost opening fire doors? The first time it happened the guards saw nothing, the ghost appears on the second time only. Oh yeah, dont poltergeists usually open doors and stuff? Who is to say that this falls into that category?

One thing I cant work out though, if this was a publicity stunt, why do it in a place as boring as a fire door in a place off limits to public? I would have made it a bit more accessible and spectacular to draw the crowds in!

Be a bit more open-minded people, I cant stand it when people dismiss these things so abruptly, next time we'll ask the ghost to put on a magic show for you to drum it into your heads that these things exist in some form.

next time we'll ask the ghost to put on a magic show for you to drum it into your heads that these things exist in some form.

Well we know it can do the vanishing trick already. What next? Cut Jane Seymore in half? The Sybil Penn escapology act? laugh.gifwink2.gif

One thing I cant work out though, if this was a publicity stunt, why do it in a place as boring as a fire door in a place off limits to public? I would have made it a bit more accessible and spectacular to draw the crowds in!

Yes it's a pity Queen Catherine couldn't appear on cue. That'd be a scream. whistling2.gif

Why NOT do it at a place off limits to the public. Otherwise, it would be more obvious as a PR stunt.

We can make as many assumptions as to whether or not this is a hoax, but to know for certain whether or not this is, requires a full investigation of this building and its staff members. Therefore, its best to inquire before you assume, which will increase your credibility at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an itresting article that discusses this a bit

Link