Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Early humans in China one million years ago

Owlscrying

August 2

China houses several early-human (Paleolithic) archaeological sites along the Nihewan Basin near Mongolia, some with artifacts that date back about 1 million years ago.

One specific locality in the Nihewan Basin, called the Feiliang Paleolithic Site, where several stone artifacts and mammalian bone fragments have been found buried in basin silts.

By analyzing remnant magnetizations of basin silt layers and comparing these data with charts of known magnetic reversals, the authors identify that the artifact layer was deposited about 1.2 million years ago, just prior to a major climate transition that occurred during the mid-Pleistocene. The transition brought increased climate variability to the region.

This finding, coupled with other studies, indicates a prominent early human presence in the high northern latitudes of East Asia. Further studies on the artifacts themselves could reveal the manner in which humans weathered these climate shifts.

go

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harte

• Owlscrying

• glorybebe

• questionmark

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

August 2

China houses several early-human (Paleolithic) archaeological sites along the Nihewan Basin near Mongolia, some with artifacts that date back about 1 million years ago.

One specific locality in the Nihewan Basin, called the Feiliang Paleolithic Site, where several stone artifacts and mammalian bone fragments have been found buried in basin silts.

By analyzing remnant magnetizations of basin silt layers and comparing these data with charts of known magnetic reversals, the authors identify that the artifact layer was deposited about 1.2 million years ago, just prior to a major climate transition that occurred during the mid-Pleistocene. The transition brought increased climate variability to the region.

This finding, coupled with other studies, indicates a prominent early human presence in the high northern latitudes of East Asia. Further studies on the artifacts themselves could reveal the manner in which humans weathered these climate shifts.

go

I'd heard of a story handed down in China that said that they were much much older than the other races on Earth. Great article, thanks!

I'd heard of a story handed down in China that said that they were much much older than the other races on Earth. Great article, thanks!

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but they are referring here to H. Erectus.

Erectus specimens this old and older have been found throughout the world. China included.

The only thing that makes this find particularly interesting is that no such specimens had previously been found this far north.

There cannot possibly exist any oral tradition among H. Sapiens that dates to H. Erectus.

Harte

Looks like we have to correct our Erectus settlings map.

Good find, good post :tu:

:o

I wonder if they had squinty eyes like modern day people in asia... That wasn't meant to be an insult but I was just wondering of the purpose for having squinty eyes? I've always wondered what they were mainly for... Don't hate me lol.