Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK research lab

glorybebe

LONDON -- British authorities investigating an outbreak of highly infectious foot and mouth disease searched two research laboratories on Sunday located just miles from where a herd of cattle was infected.

While there was no confirmation the sites were the source of the infection, both the high-security labs -- one run by the government's Institute for Animal Health (IAH) and the other by pharmaceutical company Merial -- were placed within a 10-km radius (6-mile) exclusion zone as inspectors moved in.

The laboratories, built on one site, handle a variety of strains of foot and mouth, conduct research into the virus and develop vaccines against it and other animal diseases.

A member of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) response team working near a veterinary cattle-crush on a sealed public footpath following the outbreak of the highly contagious foot and mouth disease around the area of Normandy, 05 August 2007.

Attention focused on the labs as the possible source of the infection after Defra, Britain's department for agriculture, said the strain of foot and mouth confirmed in 60 head of cattle on Friday was not one "recently found in animals."

In fact, it was a strain of the virus isolated 40 years ago by British biological researchers, it said.

The director of the government-funded IAH issued a statement saying there had been no security breaches at his laboratory, but left open the possibility that the rare strain of foot and mouth may have leaked from the Merial facility, located alongside the government lab at a site called Pirbright.

The government said Merial had produced a batch containing the same rare strain of the foot and mouth virus -- identified by the government as 01 BFS67, a strain isolated by British scientists in 1967 -- as recently as July 2007.

A Merial spokesman said the company had halted vaccine production as a precaution but had no further comment.

foot and mouth

Very scary. I really hope that they didn't have anything to do with it, otherwise people will lose faith in these kinds of labs and that could be very detrimental to science.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moon Monkey

• questionmark

• bee

• glorybebe

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post, posted it myself under Science last night. You should have seen the egg dance the "responsible" of the lab were performing during a press meeting this afternoon... speaking of spin....

[Very scary. I really hope that they didn't have anything to do with it, otherwise people will lose faith in these kinds of labs and that could be very detrimental to science.

It's looking like they did have something to do with it.....the latest I heard

was that there're saying the virus must have carried on the wind.

Which makes me think of those dreadful days during the last 'foot and mouth'

outbreak....when millions of animals were slaughtered and burnt in huge piles.

The smoke and, more to the point, the steam from the bodies most definitely

carried on the wind then....steam from amimals possibly infected with foot and

mouth.

I hope with all my heart that this outbreak is contained and dealt with humanely.

Foot and mouth....is after all...only like a kind of animal flu. The animals who

get it could get better....but it's all about economics....infected animals don't gain

so much weight and (with cows) the milk yield is less

About the lab....I'm glad they're working on vacines, if that helps stop the horrors of

what happened a few years ago......but what a terrible error on their part....and why

have a lab like that so near to farms?

Nice post, posted it myself under Science last night. You should have seen the egg dance the "responsible" of the lab were performing during a press meeting this afternoon... speaking of spin....

That's really scary. I noticed your posting, after I posted mine, I looked through a few different threads to see if it was posted, didn't see yours. In my defence I will say that I hadn't had any coffee as of then. ;)

Why are these labs in the middle of the most populated areas of the country, why not out on Anthrax Island or some such so that if sh** does hit the fan it is geographically restrained.

Why are these labs in the middle of the most populated areas of the country, why not out on Anthrax Island or some such so that if sh** does hit the fan it is geographically restrained.

Can you imagine trying to get Civil Servants (e.g. government scientists) to work on 'Anthrax Island' ?

"Smithers, you idiot, you've bungled one assignment too many... you're being transferred to the DEFRA research station"

"... no minister, not Anthrax Island... anything but that.. .please...."

Meow Purr.

Can you imagine trying to get Civil Servants (e.g. government scientists) to work on 'Anthrax Island' ?

"Smithers, you idiot, you've bungled one assignment too many... you're being transferred to the DEFRA research station"

"... no minister, not Anthrax Island... anything but that.. .please...."

Meow Purr.

Can you imagine the public at large agreeing to biological research stations in their midst, or dairy farmers to foot and mouth research happening 4 miles from their farm ?

A quick climb up the pay grade ladder and larger, earlier pensions are what civil servents seem to be driven by. Seeing how many of the worlds micro-biologists and vaccinists have suspiciously died over the last 5 years you would think they would enjoy the seclusion and anonymity, buts thats a discussion for a different forum.

The problem is not where a lab is, many university labs handle bio-hazards. The question is: In what kind of state was the lab?

Muzzle and claws is an airborne disease. All that is needed is to drop a vial with the stuff when the air lock is open and everything within 20 miles as the wind blows is infected.

Two new outbreaks confirmed close to the first farm. Government scrambling to cover its a***, they are not quite so sure that it didn't stem from the research lab now but I am sure the press conference they are about to do will show them to be completely clean.

Is it purely the ability to sell unvaccinated meat to the US and Japan that makes this such a big story ? Here in my village in Israel we have a large dairy farm and have an outbreak every few years as do other farms round here, all roads in and out are disinfected and the cows are vaccinated , it doesn't even make the local news. What is the big deal ? How big are our sales of unvaccinated meat that makes a 9 Bn pound hit to the economy (as in 2001) worthwhile. Many farmers are saying give us vaccines as its better than losing their herds again but the government is not listening.

Not the greatest source but " government lab like sieve" :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007360328,00.html

Edited by Moon Monkey

I heard on TV that the disease could have come from the lab & become water-borne in the recent floods.Can anyone expand on this ?

I know nothing about F&M disease.Did the lab get flooded ? :o

Two new outbreaks confirmed close to the first farm. Government scrambling to cover its a***, they are not quite so sure that it didn't stem from the research lab now but I am sure the press conference they are about to do will show them to be completely clean.

Is it purely the ability to sell unvaccinated meat to the US and Japan that makes this such a big story ? Here in my village in Israel we have a large dairy farm and have an outbreak every few years as do other farms round here, all roads in and out are disinfected and the cows are vaccinated , it doesn't even make the local news. What is the big deal ? How big are our sales of unvaccinated meat that makes a 9 Bn pound hit to the economy (as in 2001) worthwhile. Many farmers are saying give us vaccines as its better than losing their herds again but the government is not listening.

Not the greatest source but " government lab like sieve" :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007360328,00.html

Interesting post, Moon Monkey.....I don't think this country could stomach a repeat of the mass

slaughter of animals like we had to in 2001. I hope some policy of vacination is developed very

soon.

Because of the 'panic' around foot and mouth....the general public, I think...believe this virus to be

more serious than it is....the economics of it all is not discussed enough.

Last night on the news....it was mentioned that the recent floods could have something to do with

the latest outbreak...this was something I'd wondered about.

There's a place not too far away from where I live...Throckmorton...during the 2001 'outbreak' vast

numbers of dead animals were buried there. On a fairly regular basis a tanker has to go and suck

'fluid' from the site. Imagine what they must be sucking away! I don't know what they then do with

it after that.....but I do wonder what effect flooding in the area has had on this site.

Circumstantial evidence and the strain of virus is pointing to the lab, though. On this occasion.

There's a place not too far away from where I live...Throckmorton...during the 2001 'outbreak' vast

numbers of dead animals were buried there. On a fairly regular basis a tanker has to go and suck

'fluid' from the site. Imagine what they must be sucking away! I don't know what they then do with

it after that.....but I do wonder what effect flooding in the area has had on this site.

It goes into tesco value ready meals

Interesting post, Moon Monkey.....I don't think this country could stomach a repeat of the mass

slaughter of animals like we had to in 2001. I hope some policy of vacination is developed very

soon.

When I was a teenager vaccinating was allowed, but had the drawback that it lowered the animals performance adding weight and giving milk. Additionally some countries, like Japan, refused to buy beef from countries where vaccinating was legal. So after lots of screaming by cattle growers it was forbidden. Vaccination is already possible.