Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth's Two Moons

Cryptoman

my grandma sent me this email about mars coming close to the earth, here it is:

We really need your telescope on this night!!!!

Two Moons

This will be an awesome sight to behold! It will definitely be neat to see!

Two moons on August 27th, the Whole World is waiting for it.

Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August.

It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles of earth.

Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am.

It will look like the earth has 2 Moons.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again.

does anyone else have any info, is this info credible

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptoman

• MID

• GreyWeather

• punish3ment

never mind, I found out that this is true info, but it happend in 2003

damn, I missed it.

Yeah, this happened a while ago.

It was visable with the naked eye, a red 'star' in the sky, it's ridiculous to think it coming so close to appear the size of the moon though :lol:

If it did. Worry :w00t:

Yeah, this happened a while ago.

It was visable with the naked eye, a red 'star' in the sky, it's ridiculous to think it coming so close to appear the size of the moon though :lol:

If it did. Worry :w00t:

I'll say lol.

Seeing something like that would make people think a collision was imminent. Hiding under the stairs wouldn't have helped either :lol:

It wasn't true in 2003, never has been true and never will be true. Whilst Mars and the Earth were exceptionally close in August 2003 Mars can never appear as large as the full Moon. It can only ever appear like an exceptionally bright red star.

This is the second time this hoax has been posted on this site THIS YEAR. It now seems to reappears every year. I will leave a link to this years other thread on this hoax (in the space news section) as I have posted links to other times this story has appeared on this site over the last few years. HERE

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

This is the second time this hoax has been posted on this site THIS YEAR....

Let's face it, silly things like this just never seem to die. Why? I haven't a clue! :wacko:

No, actually there isn't a speck of truth to it & it never did happen....won't either. Barring a MAJOR reorganization of the Solar System, it's impossible for Mars to even approach the size of the Moon. The planet is ALWAYS visible to the unaided eye, as long as it's not near the Sun, but NEVER gets very much brighter than Jupiter....which is much farther away. (Of course Jupiter is much bigger also.) Mars is also never visible in the daytime to the unaided eye....just isn't bright enough....but the Moon often is. Mars can easily be seen at this time of year & I image it almost every night in my scopes. Right now, it's not much to see at all. It'll be better in about December, & then will start to dim down again. Even then, it won't be very impressive in small scopes.

Just another of the hocus-pocus tabloid rumours easily nullified by hard science.

It wasn't true in 2003, never has been true and never will be true. Whilst Mars and the Earth were exceptionally close in August 2003 Mars can never appear as large as the full Moon. It can only ever appear like an exceptionally bright red star.

This is the second time this hoax has been posted on this site THIS YEAR. It now seems to reappears every year. I will leave a link to this years other thread on this hoax (in the space news section) as I have posted links to other times this story has appeared on this site over the last few years. HERE

Amazing, isn't it?

Every August the same thing comes up...

• 2 months later...

my bad guys :hmm: ....