Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You have got to LOVE the UN

AtheistWorld.Com

Don't you agree?

The United Nations, for instance, wants to create an International Tax Organization (ITO) empowered to interfere with national tax policies... it's unfair for America to have lower taxes than places such as France and Germany, especially if it means jobs and investment flee Europe's welfare states and come to America... The chairman of the U.N. panel that first endorsed creation of an ITO said it would "take a lead role in restraining tax competition."

Full story from the Washington Times

Max

(Book author)

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• <bleeding_heart>

• Arashi Ravenblade

• Novo

The UN is a joke... they cant to anyhting to the USA that we dont want done...

*Bush* The French Leader Is Gay Fellow Americans! He Screwed Saddam! Lets Launch The Mini-Nukes We Developed by breaking our own treaty!

• 3 weeks later...

The UN managed to complete a mission not long ago

Operation pull out before the objectives are anywhere near complete.

Screw them they have no military arm and no real agenda other than busying themselves with other nations internal affairs.

I personnaly feel the U.N. has it's place. Living in a country who's main export is lamb , I can see where an ITO might come in handy .

A few years ago there was quite an uproar over here because imposed tarrffis by the American government meant that New Zealand lamb couldn't be sold for less tha $22 American per kilo . While American grown lamb was sold at a substantially lower Government subsidised amount . Piece this together with the fact that the Kiwi dollar is just a little less than 50 cents to an American dollar on average, and it all adds up to somebody being just a little greedy .

I would also like to add that the U.N. will only ever be as good as the respect we give it . If you can't back the U.N. then why don'y you try and come up with a better concept .

*Bush* The French Leader Is Gay Fellow Americans!

S&A Excuse me? that is some type of horrible typo right?

The UN has it's place. There are times when fights between countries can be solved without bombing the heck out of each other. This is from the UN website:

One of the primary purposes of the United Nations is the maintenance of international peace and security. Since its creation, the United Nations has often been called upon to prevent disputes from escalating into war, to persuade opposing parties to use the conference table rather than force of arms, or to help restore peace when conflict does break out. Over the decades, the United Nations has helped to end numerous conflicts, often through actions of the Security Council — the primary organ for dealing with issues of international peace and security.

Seeing how quick my own country's government is to decide to go to war, I like the idea of having someone act as an intermediary to make sure that we have expended all options before running out and killing people...

The UN is a joke... they cant to anyhting to the USA that we dont want done...

Sure they can, should they choose to. We are a part of UN and subject to the same rules as the other members.

We can get away with a lot more because of out military and financial power, but if it came down to it the UN could slap a trade embargo on the US if it chose to. No trade goes in, or out.

I highly doubt it would ever go that far, but we are not bulletproof as a country. We can't continually thumb our nose at the rest of the world without consequences.

Actuallly I do agree the UN does have a place in our world, it was set-up for all the right reasons and it does have its heart in the right place most of the time. The problem is 90% of the power resides in the security council so if they dont like you tough you get ignored. The UN can impose trade embargos yes but as Sadam Hussein proved the people its meant to hurt (the dictators etc) still manage to live a lie of luxury and complete power. While Iraqs people starved and had little meical supplies. The UN could then do no more as the military might of the security council had their own agenda leaving the UN with no military option of its own. The UN needs an overhaul and to set out its powers more clearly so no one can argue with its decisions.