Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Mothman Sightings

Starr Destin Mathews

I don't know if this has already been posted if it has I apologize. There have been new sightings of the mothman,reportedly just before the collapse of the I-35W bridge. Wether or not this is true or not I dont know, but I do find it most interesting. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on it.

Here is a link with more information.

http://paranormal.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...ews/mn-mothman/

Edited by UndeadDoll

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Syntax

• kenshinx

• Rosenrot

• JAKERZ666

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The bridge had been deemed "structurally deficient" numerous times, since 1990. I'd say the bridge just collapsed on its own.

Ya know, I wondered if the bridge collapse was because of a mothman-like cryptid. But then I came to my senses; it's highly unlikely. If we were to attribute every industrial mishap to a supernatural being we would never be able to take responsibility for our own actions. I have a feeling that the original mothman did have something to do with the Silver Bridge collapse, but this is just another bridge collapse. Nothing supernatural here, sorry.

Isn't that what mothman is known for? Sightings before disasters?

Isn't that what mothman is known for? Sightings before disasters?

Supposedly, although I think the only disaster actually associated with him is the collapse of the bridge between West Virginia and Ohio (I think it's the Silver Bridge everyone keeps referencing). But I think it'd be more important to prove it exists before claiming it caused the bridge to fall.

mothman also believed appear in chernobyl before leak, and before a mine collapse (forget where n when)

some say it give people warning.

i think the mothman is trying to save people, before a major disaster it will come in contact with the people in the area thus scaring the daylights out of them ,they may then get woried if this thing appears again and leave the town, then a few weeks or so later when the disaster happens the people who were scared away are saved from death in the disasters.if that makes any sense :P

No, it was not Mothman. I highly doubt it, at least.

Course, something wrong happens so why not blame a creature which hasn't had fame in years ? hell i would do it. Why would it want to take out a bridge ? or have anything to do with one.

As far as I understand it, Mothman sightings occur prior to some disasters.

There is no direct evidence that the sightings or whatever it is that is behind them has anything at all to do with the cause of the disaster.

It's light earth-lights seen before an earthquake, or something. It's part of the experience, but shouldn't be blamed.

:geek:

mothman also believed appear in chernobyl before leak, and before a mine collapse (forget where n when)

I think you are refering to the Black Bird of Chernobyl and the Freiburg Shrieker. They weren't exactly mothman persay, but they were similar.

i think the mothman is trying to save people, before a major disaster it will come in contact with the people in the area thus scaring the daylights out of them ,they may then get woried if this thing appears again and leave the town, then a few weeks or so later when the disaster happens the people who were scared away are saved from death in the disasters.if that makes any sense :P

If you read the book, Mothman is a little more sinister than that.

There was a massive UFO flap around the same period of 1966 - 1967, and a lot of people were contacted regarding the end of the world. In fact John Keel himself was contacted and took to the the hills one night awaiting the impending disaster. The phenomenon stretched far beyond mothman sightings....many New York residents soon became contactees for strange entities that represented a vast intergalactic council, who gave us grim prophecies about Nuclear power.

The point of the book was not in fact focussing on the mothman itself, but of the effects of the phenomenon, and the context of Ultra-terrestrials as compared to Extra-terrestials. The mothman itself (and supposedly all cryptids) are NOT of this earth, and make up a variety of intelligences that cross between one reality and the next.

For us to believe that mothman hangs around bridges all the time is just absurd, there are far greater disasters with more significance to mankind than a bridge collapse. Someone has merely heard the original story, and used it in comparison to whats been happening in the news.

Another fact is, that even looking back at the original Silver Bridge collapse...the belief among members of this community that the strange happenings in Point Pleasant simply disappeared after the collapse is actually false.

The M.I.B reports from Point Pleasant continued, and so did the strange phone calls and strange visitors. The fact Mothman was scarce could simply be circumstancial. I implore people to read the book.

I think you are refering to the Black Bird of Chernobyl and the Freiburg Shrieker. They weren't exactly mothman persay, but they were similar.

Thats correct. 'Mothman' (i.e. The entity who terrorised Point Pleasant) was never properly described, and often appeared differently to different people. Some people saw giant black birds, while others in the town were confronted by a large grey headless winged creature with red eyes.

Most of the reports from the area were actually UFO reports as well as strange red and blue lights.

The thing to remember is, these creatures are not the CAUSE of the disasters, they are somehow attracted to them. Also remember they choose their contactees well, people who are credible witnesses....and leave no inconsistency in their sightings. This shows intelligence.

Also remember that these creatures are not human, and as such their motives are not human either. In some way, our world may have a deep impact on theirs....in fact a lot of extraterrestrial contacts from the early 60's were beings who warned us that Nuclear testing generates a lot of radiation that plays havoc with an unseen dimension.

just some things to consider.

I have a copy of the book in PDF format if anyone would like a copy, just send me a message.

me too i also hope that one day you could buy mini moth men from pet shops and keep them and hold them like you do hamsters awwww i would be the first to buy one

Interesting stuff, Syntax.

I have read Keel's book and you're right in that the overall sum of the phenomenon and encounters at Point Pleasant tends to lean more to the sinister/disturbing end of the spectrum.

Syntax just pwn3d everybody. So you are saying the movie and the book aren't very similar? Are there parts in the movie just for the movie?

Syntax just pwn3d everybody. So you are saying the movie and the book aren't very similar? Are there parts in the movie just for the movie?

Well the movie took interesting elements of the book and fashioned them into a modern setting.

For instance, the main character is John Klein, a play on John Keel...even the character Alexander Leek has a name shared with John A Keel (Leek is Keel backwards). His wife was called Mary and Mary Hyre was the name of the Point Pleasant journalist who befriended Keel in his travels in West Virginia.

There were other things related to the book, the bridge disaster, the lovers in the car who were badly burned, the strange phone calls with high speed machine like messages and the power plant was a play on the original munitions dump where a lot of the sightings were focussed. The munitions dump was called the TNT area.

Indrid Cold was another piece of the movie that was also in the original book. However Cold was described by Woody (Woodrow Derenberger) as an extra-terrestrial that came from a planet called Lanulos. Derenberger was taken to Lanulos on numerous occasions, and noted that people on Lanulos walked around a lot of the time naked. He wrote a book about his experience called Visitors from Lanulos, of which only a very short run was printed....and copies on amazon can run up to $800.

However its what was left OUT which startled me, and turned the Mothman Prophecies into something spiritual as opposed to a tale that resides in UFO folklore.

I urge people to read the book, its actually very entertaining. Like I said, I have a PDF copy if anyone would like a free copy emailed to them.

Some people saw giant black birds, while others in the town were confronted by a large grey headless winged creature with red eyes.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but how did it have no head and red eyes?

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but how did it have no head and red eyes?

:lol: good point... but from stories, the Mothman is sited before a disaster occurs. That's what the claims have been.