Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man bitten by beheaded rattlesnake

UM-Bot

rattlesnake.jpg
Turns out, even beheaded rattlesnakes can be dangerous. That's what 53-year-old Danny Anderson learned as he was feeding his horses Monday night, when a 5-foot rattler slithered onto his central Washington property, about 50 miles southeast of Yakima.

Anderson and his 27-year-old son, Benjamin, pinned the snake with an irrigation pipe and cut off its head with a shovel. A few more strikes to the head left it sitting under a pickup truck.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Boston.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Stygean Hugh

• bettercarpenter

• JAKERZ666

Nerves that aren't dead will do it...Freaky though..

You know you're dealing with one tough rattle snake when it refuses to die! LOL!

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

This is not news to me. It's common knowledge in these parts that a rattle snake can bite up to 30-45 min after it looses it's head. fun.

Edited by stygeanhue

I knew they could do that. You gotta keep away from the head for a while after you cut it off. The brain is still functioning enough that it will continue to try and defend itself. A five foot rattle snake though... that's a big snake...

Edited by xROCKIEx

This is not news to me. It's common knowledge in these parts that a rattle snake can bite up to 30-45 min after it looses it's head. fun.

Really?!? That long? Wow. Well, I shouldn't be too suprised, headless chickens can run up to 15 feet. I've seen it! I was young and that scared the crap out of me! My father has a sick sense of humor sometimes. I guess that's where I get it! :o

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

didnt mary queen of scots still speak after she was beheaded

Chickens run lol

Really?!? That long? Wow. Well, I shouldn't be too suprised, headless chickens can run up to 15 feet. I've seen it! I was young and that scared the crap out of me! My father has a sick sense of humor sometimes. I guess that's where I get it! :o

Headless zombie chickens! that rocks!

I'll remember that next time I'm around headless snakes.

Rofl, Even me garden snakes are scary little guy's never know where they are ... Computer...Fish Tank... Tv..

There everywhere :D

tastes like chikin... :(

It does really! lol We had a nice (sarcasm...) 3 1/2 foot one decide to take up residence under our front door steps (wrought iron, no protection). The cat was playing with it!! It was pretty mad when we found it, the neighbor cooked it up and we all tried it. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I knew they could do that. You gotta keep away from the head for a while after you cut it off. The brain is still functioning enough that it will continue to try and defend itself. A five foot rattle snake though... that's a big snake...

how can the brain still function that long after being apart from the body though? It should be dead yes?

ive seen it happen first hand... we have to kill some snakes frequently or they'll kill you first.... you chop their heads off and the bloody thing keep snapping...... :blink:

ive seen it happen first hand... we have to kill some snakes frequently or they'll kill you first.... you chop their heads off and the bloody thing keep snapping...... :blink:

Bet that was a shock the first few times it happened eh?

Most snakes would rather "run" form people than bite them. Others just feel cornered and feel it to defend themselves. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone.

Absolutely no snake can strike and in-venomiate after their head is cut off! I know, you see I am an herptoculterist.

A what?

I keep; raise and breed many different kinds of reptiles, in habitats as close to their own as possible.

I used to raise Eastern;Diamond; and Trans pecos rattle snakes. Am I crazy? A little, but I used to raise them for their venom.

I would "milk" the snakes of their venom and sell it for anti-venom. I have been called to homes where people have felt cornered and killed a snake.

The possibility of haveing a rattle snake that 5 feet long is possible, species by species, and ONLY if it was a female. Female diamonds cna reach a recorded legnth of 54 inches! That is only what is recorded, we beleive that they can get bigger than that.

The nervous sytem, boy to understand that and you would be a millionaire. From education and experiences all snakes can still act minutes after their heart stops. It takes a full amount of energy and strength however for a hottie to inject venom, and with their heads removed seperating the muscle and tendons it is very improbable that it could inject venom and bite !. I beleive that the snake venomiated and was then murdered, the old man reached down, mised his target and was hooked by a tooth and infeccted with the venom in its mouth. It could not have been a fang as it takes a speicfic set of muscles to raise and retract the fangs that would have terminated when its head was cut off.

In short I donot beleive for even a half of a secoond that a snkes head could expand; bite and invenominate after minutes of its death.

Absolutely no snake can strike and in-venomiate after their head is cut off! I know, you see I am an herptoculterist.

what if the snake was not cut right at the head, but it still had a portion of the body attached? The way it was described in the original story, it kind of sounded like maybe the snake was chopped with some of the body remaining attached to the head.