Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

speed of light broken

GirlInBlack

im sorry but i just dont believe any of it, the reason being that if solid matter where to penetrate the speed of light it woud create a black hole. :geek:

I was under the impression that black holes are caused by super dense matter from a collapsed star, not matter traveling faster than the SOL.

Anyway.. just because we don’t know how to break the light barrier doesn't mean it can't be done. We can have all of the theories and formulas we want, but it doesn't change the fact that there is tons we don’t know. I could list hundreds of examples talking about how "before 'event X', we never thought it was possible." I think that eventually, barring a complete collapse of humanity (which is always a possibility), we will unlock the secrets on faster than light travel. We might even discover something that is FASTER than light, but since it's faster, we can’t see it.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Startraveler

• camlax

• Legatus Legionis

• offamychain

I was under the impression that black holes are caused by super dense matter from a collapsed star, not matter traveling faster than the SOL.

Anyway.. just because we don’t know how to break the light barrier doesn't mean it can't be done. We can have all of the theories and formulas we want, but it doesn't change the fact that there is tons we don’t know. I could list hundreds of examples talking about how "before 'event X', we never thought it was possible." I think that eventually, barring a complete collapse of humanity (which is always a possibility), we will unlock the secrets on faster than light travel. We might even discover something that is FASTER than light, but since it's faster, we can’t see it.

The closer to the speed of light that you approach the more mass you have. As startraverler said, your energy approaches infinity, this is true as your mass as well.

theoretically nothing can go faster than light, but what about the theoretical particle called Tachyon?

Not theoretically nothing can go faster than light. Tachyons firstly are an elaborate mathematical construct, we have no evidence they exist other than the crazy scribblings of a few theoretical physicists.

Also, if tachyons were to exist, they may not violate faster than light travel. Being small than a Planck length they could "fall through" our universe and travel outside of it, access to another dimension or dimensionless space would all them to take short cuts in the fabric of space-time. Seemingly faster than light travel.

Picture it like this, if you were talking to a piece of paper laying on a table and you two agreed to meet on the other end. The paper's travel would be restricted to the 2d world. You would stand up and "step out" of the papers world. To the paper you would magically and instantaneously arrive at the other end of the table. To him, you traveled faster than c. To you, you violated no such law.

Edited by camlax

Nothing can cross the light barrier. It's possible to play games with the equations to get something on the other side (i.e. going faster than the speed of light) but such things go faster as they lose energy, so you'd have to pour more and more energy into them to slow them down toward the speed of light (just as we have to pour more and more energy in to accelerate something up toward the speed of light).

Doh!

This ties my head in knots.

Dont understand, cant get my head round it all.

BUT! I think we WILL break the speed of light because we"re Human, & wont stop until we"ve done it! :tu: