Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The thought on time travel

bloodygates2000

I think if time travel is possible then it would have happened already.

Hitler would not be known and a lot of other things would not have happened.

I dont think that there is a force to make sure that time travekers cant change time. Either time travel is impossible or there are more explanations.

1. Time travel is very impossible.

2. Time travel is so far into the futher that people in that time dont even know of the exisistance of this period.

3. A lot of ristrictions which include no chaging past events.

4. It is still a black project under the books.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bathory

• Xenojjin

• Seraphina

• sunfiredreamer

or perhaps we we happen to be in a multiverse where everything that has happened in the past has lead us all to this point...

even then, who's to say time travellers didn't create hitler? huh? huh? original.gif

thinking about time travel and its consequences is just one big headache lol

me, i subscribe to the whole multiverse dealio

Time travel is a fact as we are all traveling forward in time in the usual linear fashion

• 2 weeks later...

i say time travel is not possible i cause i dont see someone from the future coming to this time who knows it may come true i dunno im cant tell the future

Time travel is a fact as we are all traveling forward in time in the usual linear fashion

Yay, Homer! Very well put. And as we are traveling forward through time, every time we look up to the stars we are looking at events from the far distant past. Time is very fluid around us. We are all time travelers.

original.gif

I think if you could travel in time who would you want to meet, would you want to go into the future and see what the world would be like, or into the past so you could see dinosaurs. There are so many things i would do and places i would go, i dont think i would be in my own time much at all. rolleyes.gif

im a very big dreamer rolleyes.gif

gotta say even if time travel was possible there would be so many risks it wouldnt be worth it u could accidently create the catalyst to the whole planets destruction just by speaking to the wrong guy bout the wrong thing lol.

One interesting thing to think about is what would happen if someone managed to create a time machine and go back in time ? If time is like a string of dimensions ... then wouldn't time travel require them to be unravled ? Would that not destroy the very essence of time ? So even if time travel could be done , it might not be a good idea to try since it just might destroy the existance of anything as we know it .

Time travel is possiable and we do it everyday! Airplaines, cars etc. we have been crunching time with aircraft and automobels for a long time. I cann't image getting this advance in transpostions be it by land, water or air and then simply stopping research.

All this talk about Time Travel kinds of reminds me....

My mother and I, this past December, flew nonstop in a 14 hour flight from New York all the way to Tokyo Japan. We left around 11 AM Sunday morning....and arrived at Tokyo on Monday afternoon around 3PM. Despite having to travel 14 hours, we lost 12 hours of time!

Later in the month, we flew from San Francisco in a 4 hour flight to New York. We got off the ground around noon and by the time we got to New York, it was around 7:30 at night. We lost five hours (or rather, we aged 5 hours less than those in New York).

Then again, when we flew on December 26 from Hong Kong to San Fran, we landed in San Fran on December 25, Christmas Day, we technically have travel back in time because we moved into a different time zone.

Strange and convoluted when you think about it..... ph34r.gif

you cant travel through time wether it be foward or backward if time doesnt exist, time is something man created, if time were to actually exist then that whole expiriement with the atomic clocks would not have given the results it did, how can time exist if time is different for each individual depending on thier distance from gravity, time was something created in order to keep records of the past, so in all essense we are not all time travelers, we are all just living in the present...

I think time travel is entirely possible. We just have yet to discover the means of doing it.

The thought of time travel appeals greatly to me. I would love to do it, besides the fact that I strongly believe if we do travel back into time, then we disrupt everything. You change one event or one circumstance, and the world in its entirety is different. You have just screwed with the entire planet and the "future."

Time is fluid around us, I agree. Rushing past us, its like a river. I believe, if the river flows one way, we can easily dam it up or something, and change the flow of the river.

Just some of my mixed up theories.

time is something man created, if time were to actually exist then that whole expiriement with the atomic clocks would not have given the results it did, how can time exist if time is different for each individual depending on thier distance from gravity, time was something created in order to keep records of the past

Time itself is as old as the universe, perhaps older depending on what theory of the beginning is correct. What is manmade is the instruments used to measure time. Time existed, but the atomic clocks didn't. Time is relative, and is it something that passes differently depending on the circumstance, however, we need a manmade object to measure those differences

I really shouldn't mention this....but......... the only way to experience going forward or backward in time would be to enter a parallel universe by travelling through a wormhole.........

I know I've said this before, but damn...amazing how people feel the need to overcomplicate a hypothetical situation...but here goes...

If time travel were possible, I think someone from the future would have popped up by now...however, for the sake of arguement, we'll assume that it is. That, however, does not make any difference whatsoever to history as we know it...

If a time traveler were to go into the past and influence events in anyway, then it has already happened...It amazes me how people struggle with that fact so much huh.gif Because the past has already happened, so too has the appearance of any time traveler that has been there; the very definition of time travel means that your point or origin doesn't need to have occured yet for you to reach your destination.

The past as we know it can't be altered...if it had been, then we would never have known about it, would we? tongue.gif As I've said before, it's probably quite possible for a hypothetical time traveler to influence events, but all they'd do is end up putting them in the direction history records them...if they did anything differently (say, someone from the year 2360 goes back in time and shoots Hitler when he was 15) then that's what history would record right now (in our case, the history books wouldn't make any mention of Hitler, and we would never have heard of him).

The multiverse theory overcomplicates the matter needlessly...I don't know what individual came up with that, but it's outright stupid coming from an educated person...if someone travels into the past, then everything they've done has already happened...they don't suddenly appear in a parallel universe, where the hell is the logic in that? rolleyes.gif

Just a couple of thoughts from me, very possibly wrong. I'm a bit of a thicko I'm afraid.

Whoever said time was linear? Just because we are brought up in a culture where we are conditioned to believe that you "move forward" from point A to point B doesn't mean it's true. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but don't some Aboriginal Australian tribes believe that time moves in some kind of spiral? And when you die you enter "dream time"? I find it hard to comprehend, because guess what? I was always led to believe that time was linear! Just illustrates [badly] a point.

Plus, when people say that if time travel was going to be invented in the future then people from the future would be here now-look at the John Titor thing. Sorry to go over old ground but if there was a genuine time traveller, no one would believe him/her anyway.

There's a school of thought that says there is no past or future, only the present [can't remember who said it-might have been Foucault]. Obviously, the future hasn't happened yet so that doesn't exist, and the past is represented by objects that exist in the present.

My head hurts.

The multiverse theory overcomplicates the matter needlessly...I don't know what individual came up with that, but it's outright stupid coming from an educated person...if someone travels into the past, then everything they've done has already happened...they don't suddenly appear in a parallel universe, where the hell is the logic in that?

it makes perfect sense

for every moment in time there are alternate universes

go back in time and you create another alternate universe

that said, we don't really know either way now do we:)

Where do you propose these alternative universes come from? Where does the vast energy exist that would be required to run all of these universes simultaneously? What evidence is there to suggest that such places exist?

I'm afraid I still believe it's overcomplicating things...if anything, I think it's an excuse to explain why a plausible time traveller has never been recorded in history. "They might have appeared, but anything they did created a parallel universe".

Every transaction in the universe requires energy...so I'd like to know where the bright young physicist who came up with this idea thought the limitless energy that would be necessary to reorder time and create an entirely separate chain of events, yet somehow keeping the existing one intact, suddenly appeared from huh.gif

actually i think it was more of an attempt to explain possible time travel with out the risk of paradox's.

But yes:P you do raise some valid points

Here is an interesting idea , I heard somewhere that if you look through a telescope at the earth from 100 lightyears away you will see the earth as it was in the 1970's ... I heard this in a museum so I am not sure if this is bogus or not .

Assuming its not bogus then perhaps one day we will be able to travel back in time , but not actually be able to interact with people or will they be able to see the time travelers . Much like a machine that allows you to astrally project through time since it has already happened ... or maybe at least a machine that allows you to look back into time and find out what exactly happened . Something like that would be really usefull ... too bad I have nothing except what I heard in a space museum ( A large one ) to support it .

Theoretically, you are correct...the reason you see it like that is the same reason the position of the sun we see in the sky is actually it's position 8 and a half minutes ago; because that's how long it takes light to travel that distance.

Assuming we could find a way to alter the rate at which light travelers, then it is possible we could view (though certainly not interact with) a moment backwards in time...however, I think it could only be achieved from the moment light was forced to begin moving at an altered speed. We can't very well effect light that has already completed its journey tongue.gif

Interesting concept though...

Side note: Time paradoxes are a stupid idea...any change that a time traveler has, or will ever make to the past has already occured tongue.gif a paradox is impossible, because if any change was made (say someone went back in time and succeeded in assassinating Hitler) then Hitler's face would not currently be in our history books.

It amazes me how people can't get their heads round that huh.gif

(say someone went back in time and succeeded in assassinating Hitler) then Hitler's face would not currently be in our history books.

For the sake of playing Devil's advocate here......How do we know that Hitler did not actually survive and win the war ??....only to have a time traveller alter history to what we are aware of now ????

Just to make it plain...I think the whole idea of time-travel is a load of old hooey, but using history to say " see !!! it can't be possible " is not really the best argument against it.

whistling2.gif

ahhh , but then they wouldn't have to go back in time anymore because they already fixed it when the time comes to go back in time and destroy hitler , but then they would need to ... then they wouldnt... then they would ..... wacko.gif

Its a logical loophole which leads me to believe that time travel that allows the travellers to actually affect history is a load of BS . The only way to explain it would be parrallel dimensions but then wouldn't the previous dimension be destroyed ? whoops , another logical loophole . wink2.gif

Another thing to think about would be actually succeding in traveling in time instead of just looking back at it as a record in an astrally projected state , in order to do that you would essentially have to unravel the threads of time ... what happens when you unravel a thread ? It breaks apart , what I am saying is that it could destroy the very essence of time and space itself and wouldn't be a good idea even if it was possible . ph34r.gif