Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Beckys_Mom

You'll believe what i tell you so...

180 posts in this topic

Nachtmahr
She is a total b****. How can anyone talk to their child that way is unreal to me.

You haven't seen anything. My aunt is worse than that.

sunburst
You haven't seen anything. My aunt is worse than that.

actually my dad can out rank any 1!!!!!! and if ya wanna go into hate rants...my gramps can't be beat.

eqgumby
Could people please tone things down a little. It's getting a little heated and out of control just a little bit. Calm down, cool off and have a nice freezing shower :D

That aside, I would like to state that I do not believe it was anyone's intention to "trap me" with the question posed in the previous page. The intentions were probably honourable to the last. However, the question is still a trap,...

*snip*

So the only reasonable answer I could arrive at was that god would not ask such a thing from me, because all biblical evidence points to something quite different. Unless of course, I was in a similar position to Abraham, then it would be a completely different ball-game.

*snip*

So we come back to the original question that was asked - "Would I sacrifice my child if god asks me to". It's a completely impossible question because my God would not simply ask me to do that, has never asked anyone else to do anything even remotely similar, except that one case which had all those special extenuating circumstances.

Makes sense. That's why it's getting heated though, a refusal to see anything in context.

An example: A man orders the murder of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, the utter eradication of a city. An evil act if ever there was one. But it was done to end a war that would have killed millions. Taken in context, it was not evil, but an act of war, and a way to save millions.

The same would apply to Abraham.

This is surely worthy of it's own thread, as we have gone so far off topic, it's barely recognizable, and I apologize for that.

However, I think it is supremely important to try to analyze things from as many angles as possible, and put them into their proper context if at all possible. Implying that you would never do what Abraham did does not take into account any of the social, religious, ethnic, economic or other pertinent factors involved. I agree a cute Irish girl with a penchant for bad grammar would not kill her daughter if a voice in her head told her to. I think comparing her circumstance to a Jewish man living in the middle-east three thousand+ years ago who had a one-on-one relationship with "God" is just insane. It can't be done and make any sense. So stop doing it. It proves nothing, other than that you are a product of the world around you.

Sherapy
Could people please tone things down a little. It's getting a little heated and out of control just a little bit. Calm down, cool off and have a nice freezing shower :D

That aside, I would like to state that I do not believe it was anyone's intention to "trap me" with the question posed in the previous page. The intentions were probably honourable to the last. However, the question is still a trap, with no satisfactory answer possible. There have already been posts saying that anyone who hears God tell them to sacrifice their child should be Committed (presumably to a mental home of sorts). Because really, no one honestly thinks that God would tell them to kill their child, and if they do, they are more likely sick and crazy and need help than actually hearing God.

Which leaves me in a no-win situation. If I say no, because quite frankly, no one would want to be responsible for killing a child, then I have just proved that I wouldn't listen to everything my God commands me to do, despite my previous assertations that I would do just that (making me into a hypocrite at best, a liar at worst). But then on the other hand, if I say yes I would kill my son if God asks me to, that just [1] - reinforces the perception that I would blindly follow my God's wishes, even if they were completely immoral, [2] - leave me in a potentially dangerous situation if I were to have some form of schizophrenia and did hear voices telling me to do that, which I don't get help for but misinterpret as God's voice, [3] - leave me looking like a heartless beast that doesn't care whether a child lives or dies as long as my Faith in God is secure, and [4] - alienates God to all the loving mothers and fathers out there, who would rightly be quite miffed if God asked them to do that.

So the only reasonable answer I could arrive at was that god would not ask such a thing from me, because all biblical evidence points to something quite different. Unless of course, I was in a similar position to Abraham, then it would be a completely different ball-game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oxymoron asks me how i know God would or wouldn't test me in this manner, I can only go by the experience I have had in my life, and the experience I have had through reading the Bible. Of course, this all comes from the point of view that the Bible is God's word. And there is only one case where God tests anyone in this fashion, and that's Abraham. And as I pointed out, there are a whole range of contextual issues of God previously promising things to Abraham and delivering upon them (child to barren woman past childbearing years).

No other biblical incident exists where anything even remotely similar happens. So we come back to the original question that was asked - "Would I sacrifice my child if god asks me to". It's a completely impossible question because my God would not simply ask me to do that, has never asked anyone else to do anything even remotely similar, except that one case which had all those special extenuating circumstances.

very well said pa and you know i don't say this lightly... ((HUGS)))

fylgja
I KNOW...

I dont want to foce religion on to my kid though...i want her to choose whatever she likes herself

HOWEVER After reading some of the sick horror stories in the bible..about taking your kid for disobeying you..and letting strangers stone your kid to death is too much for any child to be reading, so I will be keeping that from her

The Bible is scary. I don't expose my son to that stuff. I don't let him watch the news either.