Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

killer asteroid

Jiatao

Asteroid collision?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Apophis is going to hit Earth?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Jiatao

• Lilly

• Raptor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apophis is an asteroid the size of the Rose bowl that could be hitting Earth in 2036.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3313/01.html

I have thought for many years that maybe such a thing would happen. It is one of those situations that you pray against pray that you are wrong though.

The effects would be horrendous and don't bear thinking about.

Good link Jiatao :tu:

i don't think so . with our current technology and future we could easily deflect or change the course of the said asteroid. though i answered i don't know in the poll.

Apophis is an asteroid the size of the Rose bowl that could be hitting Earth in 2036.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3313/01.html

2036 is a long way away. News articles regularly pop up mentioning the possibility that we could be hit by an object from space, but as the time draws nearer and we're able to look at the objects path more accurately we usually see that there's no threat. The same will probably happen in this case, too.

It's the ones we don't see that you should be more worried about, anyway.

RX7 nailed it on the head. Astronomers only have a rough prediction of the orbit of this asteroid now...

Nothing to worry about... The Mayans say the world will have ended 24 years earlier anyway :rolleyes:

oh my god!!!! a meteor???!?!??!? run people we're all going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! log off damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-55189-1187869399.gifpost-55189-1187869399.gifpost-55189-1187869399.gif

Edited by mentalman

While I'd never rule out a possibility of something big hitting the earth I dont think Apophis will hit the earth.

Then again, it might do =P In 2036 I'll be starting my fifties so atleast I'll have had a fair amount of years behind be, should something happen.

I have moved this to the Space and Astronomy forum as it seems more appropriate there than in general science.

I have also voted no the Apophis colliding with the Earth.

When first discovered the chances of the this object hitting the Earth were only calculated to be 1:6,000. By May 2006, with the orbit more accurately known the chances of it hitting Earth ha been recalculated at 1:24,000. By my calculations this represents a 99.99583% certainty that it will miss.

It should also be pointed out that original calculations suggested that there was a chance of Apophis colliding with the Earth in 2029. As the orbit was refined this chance has dropped to zero. However Apophis will make a very close approach in that year.

More observations will be made of Apophis in 2013 which will refine the orbit further. I fully expect the chances of a collision to be declared zero after that.

Link to MSNBC Apophis story from May 2006.

I voted don't know because 2036 is still far off and calculations as to where it will be by then will definitely change as it gets closer. I mean already the chances of it hitting us are quite slim so i'm not gonna worry about it too much

i don't think so . with our current technology and future we could easily deflect or change the course of the said asteroid. though i answered i don't know in the poll.

True.

oh my god!!!! a meteor???!?!??!? run people we're all going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! log off damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-55189-1187869399.gifpost-55189-1187869399.gifpost-55189-1187869399.gif

It might not hit, you know.

Well, That's all well in good but what if we can't?

Well, That's all well in good but what if we can't?

Well, we know the answer to that , dont we ? BANG !

I'm with the doubters on this... so I voted 'No'

I voted yes.

-hides under the staircase- Don't say I didn't warn you! -mumbleBanterMumble damned leprechauns-

(I voted no)

Edit:

What I wanna know is why they give asteroids feirce names, but give hurricanes names like "Hurricane Lucy". If you heard "hurricane lucy is headed towards (your town here)" you'd think "Awesome, I bet she's hot". But if you heard "Hurricane Destructicon is headed towards (your town here)" you'd think "HOLY CRAP"...

Edited by Chokmah

Aphphis is named after the deadly serpent-dragon of Egyptian lore. It is an accidentally appropriate name for a killer asteroid. Nonetheless:

I voted no. It is unlikely to hit, but there is a possibility. Should that happen the consequences will indeed be horrible.

Still, we should consider even the likely near miss soberly. The threat posed by near-earth objects is one extra-terrestrial threat that there is no scientific debate about. Please continue to urge support for research and protection against this sort of hazard.

Dinosaurs had no space program. :unsure2:

What I wanna know is why they give asteroids feirce names, but give hurricanes names like "Hurricane Lucy".

Asteroids are named by their discoverers and most have anything but fierce names. There are asteroids named after the Beatles, Frank Zappa and Eric Clapton. Astronomers have named asteroids after their wives and (if memory serves me) even the observatory cat.

As Archosaur said, it is purely coincidental that Apophis has such a fierce name.

Asteroids are named by their discoverers and most have anything but fierce names. There are asteroids named after the Beatles, Frank Zappa and Eric Clapton. Astronomers have named asteroids after their wives and (if memory serves me) even the observatory cat.

As Archosaur said, it is purely coincidental that Apophis has such a fierce name.

:lol: I know... I was making a joke...

Nothing to worry about... The Mayans say the world will have ended 24 years earlier anyway :rolleyes:

such a comforting thought :rolleyes:

:cry::no::cry:

Hopefully not. I don't want to be killed by a rock from outer space. >.>

I didn't vote.

Edited by MoonPrincess

You're right, but how?

How you ask...with Love and Lu's gravitational tractor!

I've been waiting for you to mention that. You will be so disappointed if it never gets built. :)