Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mother Teresa an Atheist

Atheist God

cbs

Oh the irony!

Letters Mother Teresa had written reveal she secretly did not have faith in God or Jesus or souls etc....

"What do I labor for?" she asked in one letter. "If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true." ~ Mother Teresa

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• momentarylapseofreason

• Atheist God

• seanph

• Beckys_Mom

"Where is my faith?" she wrote. "Even deep down… there is nothing but emptiness and darkness... If there be God — please forgive me."

Whoa controversy assuredly incoming.

Contraversy? No, I think not.

Despite the portrayals in the bible, or any other holy text of whatever religion; and despite the protestations of the faithful, each human has at least a moment of doubt in their own faith, or in their god.

Taking her first statement:

"What do I labor for?" she asked in one letter. "If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."

You are overlooking the structure. "IF there be no god......" She is posing a question to her god, and following a chain of logic.

As much as it pains me to say this....... Without the preceeding and supplemental sentences, it is hard to determine where the lady was going with her thoughts.

>sigh< Context............

it's common to question ones belief and faith. if you don't you don't grow . Lose it then you lose it. if it comes back it does.

does it really matter ? if God exists you don't think God knows what goes on in that struggle ?

It's life. nothing more and nothing less. living it as best we can is all we are here for. everything else is secondary.

No irony.

God didnt exist for Mother Theresa because Mother Theresa didnt exist either.

To believe in something external or internal is to express a duality that has no real substinence.

To move away from a duality you have to move through a 'darkness' of not knowing.

Who cares what her doubts were?

What business is it of ours, what her inner thoughts were?

She asked for these things to be destroyed, not publicized. And it totally p***es me off that they weren't destroyed. Money money, money.

She did more to help others in her lifetime than most of us will ever think of!

I don't care if she had doubts about her faith and I don't care if she didn't believe at all. The fact that she questioned her faith and still continued to care for all of those people is amazing. I'm not Catholic but I've always loved Mother Theresa.

If she doesn't stand next to the Lord in heaven, then there is no place for me there either.

Who cares what her doubts were?

I find it funny she didn't practice what she had preached... She was one of the most recognized figures in the world lot's of people likely care what she thought.

What business is it of ours, what her inner thoughts were?

It's our business because she lead her life in the public eye, if she really didn't want people to find out who she really was in regards to her personal beliefs she would not have kept hard copies of her personal views and opinions.

She asked for these things to be destroyed, not publicized. And it totally p***es me off that they weren't destroyed. Money money, money.

I doubt very many people are making money off of this story at it is not covered very much by the mainstream media especially when people like Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton are the topic of the day.

She did more to help others in her lifetime than most of us will ever think of!

She was a monster who tortured people!

Her ideology was that the more you suffer the closer you are to God. She was also wrong on other vies such as no abortion and no contraceptives. Her home of the dying in Calcutta was a nightmare and described by some as being like a concentration camp. She has done a lot of wrong despite the medias interpretation of her work and so on and so forth...

I don't care if she had doubts about her faith and I don't care if she didn't believe at all. The fact that she questioned her faith and still continued to care for all of those people is amazing. I'm not Catholic but I've always loved Mother Theresa.

You love the image of Mother Teresa and I think we all wish that everyone could be as generous and caring as what she was perceived to be by the press and the church. Things however aren't always as they appear or how you want them to be.

If she doesn't stand next to the Lord in heaven, then there is no place for me there either.

I don't believe in an afterlife....

However for the discussion let's say heaven exists just to avoid an argument....

Mother Teresa would likely go to hell for her sins and there are many. However the press and the Vatican will likely go ahead and make her into a saint anyway and no one will cover the horrible and evil things she has done to others.

If anything this makes her virtue more true. She was only human after all, just like the rest of us. At least she doesn't lie about being in direct contact with God all the time. These revelations will only strengthen and support her reputation.

You love the image of Mother Teresa and I think we all wish that everyone could be as generous and caring as what she was perceived to be by the press and the church. Things however aren't always as they appear or how you want them to be.

Despite that and even if that were true, she influenced and inspired countless people around the world. Therefore it doesn't matter.

If she can't be proven to be as pure as she is claimed to be then neither can it be proven that she was a heathen of any kind.

Besides, who can possibly be 100% virtuous in this world. At least she tried.

I would tend to think that any worthy and true religous figure has questioned their own faith at some point and may do so on a daily basis throughout their life. If you don't question it, then how do you come to believe and understand it to begin with? Whether they are Mother Teresa's notes or those of the pastor in your community shouldn't really matter.

To state Mother Teresa is an athiest based on this:

"Where is my faith?" she wrote. "Even deep down there is nothing but emptiness and darkness... If there be God please forgive me."

this:

"Such deep longing for God Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal," she said

and this...

"What do I labor for?" she asked in one letter. "If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."

Well, thats just a bit absurd.

If I recall correctly there are places in the Bible where even Jesus is questioning God and doubting himself.

Edited by Left Field

Everybody has doubts about their faith at times. It is perfectly human.

I really feel sorry for those who criticize and disparage a brave, courageous and spiritual person. They must be very sad, lonely individuals. If you despise yourself, you will project that onto others and see no good in anything.

NO-she was not an Atheist. That's really jumping the gun.

She had moments of doubt ,like almost all christians do.

I had them, and they led me to agnosticism. This can happen when you look at the WHOLE picture deeply and intensly.

Mother Teresa was also exorcised for demonic possession. I don't know all the details of this.

I would tend to think that any worthy and true religous figure has questioned their own faith at some point and may do so on a daily basis throughout their life. If you don't question it, then how do you come to believe and understand it to begin with? Whether they are Mother Teresa's notes or those of the pastor in your community shouldn't really matter.

To state Mother Teresa is an athiest based on this:

"Where is my faith?" she wrote. "Even deep down there is nothing but emptiness and darkness... If there be God please forgive me."

this:

"Such deep longing for God Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal," she said

and this...

Well, thats just a bit absurd.

If I recall correctly there are places in the Bible where even Jesus is questioning God and doubting himself.

''So if one believes in the Trinity- is god is questioning his own existence ? LOL !

PA come clear this up for christians.........it won't convince me , as you know. Or is the trinity after JC's death ?? Can't remember.

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

Everybody has doubts about their faith at times. It is perfectly human.

I really feel sorry for those who criticize and disparage a brave, courageous and spiritual person. They must be very sad, lonely individuals. If you despise yourself, you will project that onto others and see no good in anything.

There are many brave, courageous and spiritual people. For instance- Bin Laden- he is a hero to very many. (but he is a murderer)

To many he is deeply spiritual.To me he is majorly "misled".

But don't worry i'M NOT comparing MT to BL.

Wow interesting but id tend to belive that she was questioning her faith. plus why are we lookin at her personal thoughts anyway?

When you see all the suffering and poverty like she did -it's hard to believe in a "loving" god.

But such is the consequence of unprotected sex,no birth-control,poverty ,blind faith, holy cows and no education.

And then to top the cake off with the cherry that is called "suffering will bring you closer to god"........... YEAH, Christianity !!!!

It's just so SMART !! (acidic I know but I just can't help it-it defies ALL LOGIC)

It's the consequence that is called STUPIDITY NOT SATAN........

STUPIDITY is a major SIN in my book.God gave us brains -let's use them !!!

Yeah, this is just a context issue. She did what every religious person has done--ask questions. I did the same. Agnostic/Stoic Deist/Freethinker now.

Sean

Yeah, this is just a context issue. She did what every religious person has done--ask questions. I did the same. Agnostic/Stoic Deist/Freethinker now.

Sean

You profess no certain belief in god.

You are dirt !

You are a HEATHEN !

Who cares what you feel not alone think ?!

:lol:

I'm not gonna let you get away with kickin' an agnostic around when their dead ...! Hey, wait a minute! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sean

cbs

Oh the irony!

Letters Mother Teresa had written reveal she secretly did not have faith in God or Jesus or souls etc....

Umm you must have turned a blind eye to one simple word that holds a great meaning in her words - that word is - IF..there is a God <---she stated IF...now when someone says the word IF at the beginning of a sentence, what does that tell you??

And to add, for her to say - Jesus you are not true <-- even Jesus doubted his faith...everyone doubts it now and again...obviously she believed in Jesus in order to tell him - he is untrue

I don't believe in Jesus...but I dont think it makes sense for me to talk to someone I dont believe existed...MT did!!!

Wow interesting but id tend to belive that she was questioning her faith. plus why are we lookin at her personal thoughts anyway?

Nah... She said she lost the faith and never found a good reason to believe again despite her best efforts and desire to do so.

Despite that and even if that were true, she influenced and inspired countless people around the world. Therefore it doesn't matter.

Well Hitler started the world Olympics which inspired nations of all kind to gather and compete in friendly sport. Yet I don't think the world is going to remember him for this....

I'm not saying she did everything wrong just stating factual information that was never widely covered by the press. Historical accuracy is everything and you simply cannot ignore it.....

It does matter that people know the truth about what she had done because she was certainly no 'saint' and I have said this for years.

Umm you must have turned a blind eye to one simple word that holds a great meaning in her words - that word is - IF..there is a God <---she stated IF...now when someone says the word IF at the beginning of a sentence, what does that tell you??

Well she also said "Such deep longing for God… Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal," NO FAITH

This tells me that she had lost her faith and despite her best efforts to believe in a higher power she just could not. Mother Teresa finally stopped living a delusional life and finally realized the obvious that there really is no God.

Nah... She said she lost the faith and never found a good reason to believe again despite her best efforts and desire to do so.

Well Hitler started the world Olympics which inspired nations of all kind to gather and compete in friendly sport. Yet I don't think the world is going to remember him for this....

I'm not saying she did everything wrong just stating factual information that was never widely covered by the press. Historical accuracy is everything and you simply cannot ignore it.....

It does matter that people know the truth about what she had done because she was certainly no 'saint' and I have said this for years.

Well she also said "Such deep longing for God… Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal," NO FAITH

This tells me that she had lost her faith and despite her best efforts to believe in a higher power she just could not. Mother Teresa finally stopped living a delusional life and finally realized the obvious that there really is no God.

Well everyone from time to time will go through a doubt about God...doesnt matter who they are...its a natural thing to do

She was a good lady regardless of her doubts

The Olympics started in 1896.

Hitler was famous for throwing a tantrum when a brilliant black athlete - Jesse Owens won gold in 1936 though, that's the only thing I remember him for regarding the Olympics.

Edited by Lotus Flower

She was a good lady regardless of her doubts

Do good people inflict pain and suffering on others? She did this because she thought by letting people suffer and live a life of pain it would bring them closer to God. Do good people except money for charity from people like Charles Keating a well known con man or the treacherous and murderous Duvaliers of Haiti? In fact she praised Charles Keating and called him a friend of the poor in any case the only reason he gave her money was for positive press to further his agenda. She had also expressed how wonderful she thought the Duvalier family was. In Ireland she opposed the referendum to allow married couples to divorce citing "There will be no forgiveness for you if you vote for this", yet when Princess Diana and Prince Charles got divorced she said in an interview that it was for the best.

The Olympics started in 1896.

Hitler was famous for throwing a tantrum when a brilliant black athlete - Jesse Owens won gold in 1936 though, that's the only thing I remember him for regarding the Olympics.

I stand corrected...