Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

carlton camp

headch33ze

in the north yorkshire moors in england there is a little village with a camp where you learn canoeing and stuff and it is built on the site of a demolished mansion where a earls wife had a miscarrige and hung herself in what is now the girls dormitor when i went with my school two girls who where messing around ran into the teachers dormitory screaming and there faces where as white as a sheet they told the teachers they saw a woman in a grey dress walking down the corridor holding her stoumach the next morning the girls went home and all the girls wouldn't go to sleep for the rest of the stay

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fire_an_ice

• Mabon

• neesha

• poolie08

Have to wonder how much is imagination especially if they knew of the story. What is needed is more documentation from others and the teachers. Never heard of this, thanks for sharing!

• 4 months later...

"in the north yorkshire moors in england there is a little village with a camp where you learn canoeing and stuff and it is built on the site of a demolished mansion where a earls wife had a miscarrige and hung herself in what is now the girls dormitor when i went with my school two girls who where messing around ran into the teachers dormitory screaming and there faces where as white as a sheet they told the teachers they saw a woman in a grey dress walking down the corridor holding her stoumach the next morning the girls went home and all the girls wouldn't go to sleep for the rest of the stay"

Just came across this! I'm the Senior Instructor at the Centre (www.carltonoutdoors.org - bit of a plug there *grin*) and to clarify, this is the legend of the Grey Lady. The story originated from the nearby Manor, Busby Hall, where a lady named Mrs Turner (A widow) resisded, Close to the end of the 18th Century.

The story goes that she had a daughter (Jane), who, against her mother's wishes, eloped with a dutch officer named Van Straubenzie, whom the ladies met at a ball, held at the court of King George the first. Mrs Turner immediately disinherited her daughter.

Jane and her husband had three children in total, all sons, one of whom died at 3 months. The other two survived, but the couple were in financial dificulty, thanks to the machinations of Mrs Turner, who wielded a fair amount of influence with the local nobility. To cut a long story short, Mrs Turner offered Jane the chance to secure the boy's future IF they were to come and live at Busby Hall with her. The condition was that the boys would inherit, but would never see their mother again.

Forced by circumstance to agree, Jane brough the boys to their grandmother and disappeared with her husband again, presumably to holland, and out of her mother's reach. Mrs Turner doted on the children, and would take daily constitutionals with them around the 'Coach Road' the route of which lies under the centre (I think you can probably see where this is going).

In 1847, there was a fire at the hall. Mrs Turner ordered her staff to evacuate as much of the wealth from the house as possible, but inexplicably chose to personaly try and save her coach. The horses, terrified by the commotion, instead of pulling the coach away from the house, backed it into the burning building. Mrs Turner survived the incident, but sustained bad burns and soon died. Local people judged this as divine retribution for her treatment of her daughter, Jane. Before her death, during her (short) convelesance, she became known as the grey lady - further stigma from the locals...Grey as in "Without character" we can only assume??

Ok, so the strange bit now...

There have been many sightings around the re-built Busby Hall, from servants sent to the wine cellar, to the game keeper. All stories concern a "ghostly figure, grey in colour", bearing a strong resemblance to...You guessed it. The Centre's part in this comes from where Mrs Turner was said to take her daily walks. The Coach Road runs through the Site of the Centre, and many of our visiting groups have reported sightings and ghostly occourences (taps turning on by themselves and similar)...from a personal point of view, I haven't seen anything, but have heard MANY (too many to recount here) stories from Teachers as well as kids. Who knows?!

Just thought I'd let you know! (Should get back to doing what i'm supposed to be now *g*)

Cheers :)

Fire an' Ice

That place should have a team go in and do an investagation! Thanks for the info here!

No problem, Neesha! The village also has a couple of other local legends...Rolling Pin Jenny, and the ghost of Katy Prissick...All good stuff to scare our visiting groups with... :lol: Any other details you'd like about the Grey Lady, let me know :)

Cheers and Beers

F&I

• 8 months later...

i've been to carlton camp.i was at the end of the boys dormitory were there are 3 bunkbeds in one compartment. on the 3rd night out of 4 i woke up at 1am with a sweat on for some reason. then i heard footsteps so sat up in my bed and turned around but there was nothing walking up the hallway so i laid back down again and by this point i was ****ting bricks; within a minute the top of my quilt had lifted at least 4 inches off of my chest so i jumped out of my bed and got in the bottom of one of my mates beds till the morning. i don't know why i did that but it just felt safer for some reason haha. F&I? is graham still there as he was just starting out when i went and all the kids loved him.

Welcome to the forum, Fire-an-Ice.

Now that's how you tell a good ghost story!

Regards,

Mabon.

• 1 month later...
i've been to carlton camp.i was at the end of the boys dormitory were there are 3 bunkbeds in one compartment. on the 3rd night out of 4 i woke up at 1am with a sweat on for some reason. then i heard footsteps so sat up in my bed and turned around but there was nothing walking up the hallway so i laid back down again and by this point i was ****ting bricks; within a minute the top of my quilt had lifted at least 4 inches off of my chest so i jumped out of my bed and got in the bottom of one of my mates beds till the morning. i don't know why i did that but it just felt safer for some reason haha. F&I? is graham still there as he was just starting out when i went and all the kids loved him.

'Ow do, Poolie08... Glad to hear from an ex visitor! Yes, Graham is still here...In fact, It's me! Which school did you visit with?

Welcome to the forum, Fire-an-Ice.

Now that's how you tell a good ghost story!

Regards,

Mabon.

Cheers, Mabon :) Even better when you're sitting in the village church at dusk, when the bells start to toll...*wg*

F&I

I went on a school trip a good few years ago up NY (That's North Yorkshire, not New York ;)) and we stayed in a youth hostel in a place called Swaledale i think? Quite a spooky place if i'm honest, i imagine most places up there will be similar. I'd love to go back up sometime. I live in SY btw.

• 4 years later...

when i was 10 i went to carlton for a week with the school in my year and linthorpe school was there

not the full school just our year so many girls and boys me and my mates were in the blue bunks then there was the red then green and at the top yellow our teacher used to tell stories about the grey lady we could see busby hall in front of carlton out door centre some lasses and lads my self to used to hear noises in the middle of the night but we thought the grey lady story was crap

this was 30 years ago by the way and its still getting told (the grey lady) anyway its a great place we loved it i never seen her or did my mates but we did hear noises at night anyway ill leave you to it and think or say what you want

• 2 months later...

The Grey Lady

It was the 1st Day of Carlton Camp and we all went in the Doormatrys to put our suit cases and obviously look around we walked past many doormatrys and when me and my bff walked past one we saw ghost ( who looked like the grey lady).Luckily, I didnt get put in there i cant remeber how many girls but they where from a diffrent school. The same night the girls came out screaming and the face were white as a sheet! That night when the teachers heard the scream they did a test to see who was there and thoose girls where missing! But luckily, the teachers found them hiding under the beds in the girls next doors doormatrys! That why I think it got rebuilt. And I dont know anyone who haunts the boys maybe you could tell me to spook the boys out.

:-*