Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The vampiric myth

Cloud_Strife

hey everyone just wanted to see how many people here believe that vampires do exist and wanted to know your views on the myths and legends surrounding them mainly the whole bram stoker dracula connunrum and the legends in almost all cultures surrounding the existence of vampires.

Add your views and id like to see how many people are like me beleiving in vampires.Plus itd be good to see how many folk actually do know what there talking about and not just making this up. this topics gonna follow legends of how they came to be and stuff likt that hope u all enjoy.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cloud_Strife

• thepsychoticseaotter

• thefirstman

• Agent_21

Well you are going to find that thee are many things that people seem to mean when discusing vampires. First there is the vampires of legends, of which there are many throughout the world. Then there are animals such as vampire bats, leeches, fleas, ticks, lampreys. Then there are those people who drink blood for some reason or other but do not really need it; though it does seem that it can eventually become addictive.

As for me I believe in all three types.

huh.gif I have to say that, though I'm extremely open minded when it comes to the unexplained, I really don't want to believe in vampires. They are so creepy. Even if they did exist though, some of the legends have got to be pure fiction, like them not being able to touch crosses or something. Which bits do you think could actually be true? tongue.gif

Fairie rolleyes.gif

I think thatmany of the parts of the Vampyr myth are made up,through the writings of authors,and over time been made to be trrueabout that particular story.Such as the 'Cross' phobia(dont know what else to call it),not being able to access through the livings doorways...and of course the biggest one of all,not being ble to show themselves in sunlight.

Great story Dancing-Hamster. It sound crazy and unbelievable; but unfortunately all the pieces seem to fit correctly. I say unfortunately because if the truth is like it is in this story(which follows the classical beliefs of vampires too well for comfort) then we have a serious problem on earth that we barly know anything about.

(Pulls a Google search for bullet reloading kits and for large quantities of silver.)

hehe , I think silver bullet's are for werewolves my friend wink2.gif

And pray tell that perhap's this doctor was not so integrid and the girl's simply made up the story of the vampire to avoid getting in trouble? maybe they did the doctor some sort of sexual favor... or payed him money or something to make up a story like this.

just a thought

i guess that if you believ in anything like vampries then you have to believe in everything like that ie. likenthropes, mermaids and so forth.

oh an im talking about the vampires that look human, sleep in the daytime, can fly and definitley do need to drink blood lol.

Thats a great story,although it does raise some scary questions. laugh.gif

cool story but most of all the cross and not bein able to enter the livings house is total bull. when vampires first appeared in history and the areas the stories repeatedly came from the church were not that much involved christianity hadnt spread that far round the world so crosses wouldnt be in very much demand lol unless in some sick sex fetish like the exorcist neway besides that what person wouldnt be killed by a stake to the heart ??

i know im probably not making mch sense in all this but what im trying to get at is that i believe in vampires strongly i also believe in many other paranormal beings wiccans lycans etc but mostly i do believe in vampires as ive seen more proof to believe in them and the fact that they have been so stereotyped throughout history this board is to let people say what kind of myths of vampires they believe are true and what kinds of myths the find bogus also its a cool way to show off how much you all know. For instance near where i live theres a place called perth this naturist guy over there was doing his art project for university on animal life in the forest he was taking still life photos of birds flyin and had one of these photo lenses that takes photos so fast it slows down time. well when he got home after taking his pics he noticed there was a guy in the bakround of his first and the camera took pics so quick that the guy near shat himself that in each pic this figure had moved from about half a mile away to right by him in the space the film took to finish which was about 5 secs although the pics are blurry u can still make out a figure which is human this is just one case to which i believe vampires are real.

Ok I think that there was something to the myth. Given that all cultures had a vampire legend. The cross thing people so strongly want to dismiss is valid from two points. 1 the legend that Vampires came from Judas Iscariot. and 2. that creatures such as this would be evil and would cower from signs of good (other legends have them cowering from Stars of David, Norse and Celtic symbols etc..)

However if they exsist they are rare and not like the little effeminant things Anne 'you don't wanna know how i really get published' Rice writes.

Truth is from all the legends one thing is common. All cultures saw them as evil and good for nothing but destruction.

Ok I think that there was something to the myth. Given that all cultures had a vampire legend.

They are an archetypal figure then, a shadow figure as Moe Eubleck mentioned in a different thread.

The cross thing people so strongly want to dismiss is valid from two points. 1 the legend that Vampires came from Judas Iscariot. and 2. that creatures such as this would be evil and would cower from signs of good (other legends have them cowering from Stars of David, Norse and Celtic symbols etc..)

I dont think that a simple symbol would make an agent of Lucifer cower,more to the fact it enrages him.Evil,would be at odds with good always,so there would be a constant battle,for the dominant feeling(evil or good),and therefore and if as the 'stories' say they cower from them,then it shows you who has won the battle,good.Which i hold to be largely untrue.If you showed a Vampire a cross,it would annoy him/her because you thought that they were so weak as to be scared of a simple ornament.And would definately kil you for that tongue.gif .

As for the doorway entranceces being forbidden and also the sunlight 'allergy' as i said before and Cloud Strife said it again,i largely hold this to be untrue.

TFM thumbsup.gif

I strongly believe in the existence of vampires. So many people discredit vampires as being people with disease(such as allergies to light, enlarged canine teeth, sensitive skin, lack of iron or whatever in their system that causes them to crave blood.) Well I do not doubt that there are people out there who suffer from such diseases, but wouldn't it be quite strange if ALL of them applied to one person? I'd be a little unnerved.

I also believe that so many stories have been written about them throughout history, not all painting them as they are shown in the movies of today. Soceity tarnishes the image of what a vampire really is in my opinion. I do not beleive they are allergic to garlic as a group, but the individuals might be. I think most of the stuff is fake about them now, but I'm still searching for more examples(yeah, like the not going in the house uninvited.)

I like to believe there are vampires out there. I really do. There is something so appealing about vampires and the world that great writers have weaved through the ages. Something about vampires is so, dark, terrible, and haunting, but at the same time, so beautiful and....captivating. I have immersed myself in the legends, finally giving in and buying almost the whole anne rice collection from Waldenbooks, and beginning to read. Working on Dracula, and watching many movies, comparing the perceptions of vampires throughout the world. Then, eventually, I will be able to explain what I believe vampires to be fully.

For now, I just see vampires as people who are living in the cold world of eternity(or even no necissarily, because I haven't decided if I believe vampires are really immortal, its highly unlikely) and who have been wronged in some way. They feed out of anger and hunger. Mysterious and outkast, alone besides their coven and friends they choose, they work their way through the shadows(still contemplating whether or not they are just SENSITIVE to light, or what. That is most likely the conclusion I will draw) and just trying to survive. Survival of the fittest reigns here as well.

Now, I will undoubtedly get a few odd looks, but I will endure. In a later posting, when I have come to my conclusions, maybe I'll post all of it, and not be so.....mixed up.

Have a nice day.

Oh, and P.S.-

The books I read are just examples, I do not intend to go off any of them and create the vampire from them. Just seeing what other people see them as before I make mine very clear.

I believe that just as some people in real life don't like religion, maybe some Vampires are the same way? So they shy away from religious symbols such as the cross.

Who knows. There is no real evidence to support much of anything. You just got to believe, or not believe. I believe grin2.gif

thumbsup.gif

The cross thing people so strongly want to dismiss is valid from two points. 1 the legend that Vampires came from Judas Iscariot. and 2. that creatures such as this would be evil and would cower from signs of good (other legends have them cowering from Stars of David, Norse and Celtic symbols etc..)

I dont think that a simple symbol would make an agent of Lucifer cower,more to the fact it enrages him.Evil,would be at odds with good always,so there would be a constant battle,for the dominant feeling(evil or good),and therefore and if as the 'stories' say they cower from them,then it shows you who has won the battle,good.Which i hold to be largely untrue.If you showed a Vampire a cross,it would annoy him/her because you thought that they were so weak as to be scared of a simple ornament.And would definately kil you for that tongue.gif .

As for the doorway entranceces being forbidden and also the sunlight 'allergy' as i said before and Cloud Strife said it again,i largely hold this to be untrue.

TFM thumbsup.gif

Oops. need to clairify. It is the belief behind the symbol more than the symbol itself. The symbol just acts as an antenna for the belief (or power of God) to go through. At least thats the way I understand it.

There's some lengthy pieces from the Vampire Research Group within this thread which may interest you. I only really remember the blaze of publicity surrounding the Highgate case but, and I may regret saying this, I tend to think the VRG representative's points are worth considering. They have the ring of truth about them (IMO).

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...wtopic=6635&hl=

wow i think poisonedeternity's views on vampiric life are way cool and way deep that was well written u have my applaud laugh.gif

So vampired through the ages have been persecuted for the life they live, i believe the whole sunlight thing is bull and that it only inhibits their powers as many supernatural phenomenom occur at night and some wiccans beleive the night to be a kind of fuse empowering spells and with vampires their own powers. Ancient messapetamians had myths of vampires and of their origins stating that a man was brought back from an inch of death from a wiccan yet as he was already half dead it was believed he needed the lifeforce of the living to survive needing no food or water yet possesing many wiccan trademarks by having strange pigmentations around the eyes strange markings of speels on their skin and a lust for blood and anarchy this was believed to be a cursed and the man and the wiccan who changed him were killed yet not before the man bit another from the village passing on his gift.

ok now does anyone see any fact in this some aspects i believe to be true and some not so , most people will probably believe it to be stupid but it does have some fact to it stating that this is when vampires first appeared in myth from that point and how shamans in certain areas were highly regarded in case they turned them into vampires for sins they had commited.

the whole wiccan's creating vampires i do not believe in though as i dnt believe that magic could have created the vampire breed.

What about the stories about Lillth(think i spelled that right) the first wife of Adam wasnt she supposed to be the first vampire known to man at least in legend

That cutter, I am not aware of. Depends on what dark you believe. Consider Lilith has been cast as the mother of all demons, a spider headed uber demon, the daughter of Dracula ( no I'm not barmey I have read that!!), or whatever else in the nine-hells she has become.

Personally, I'd stay the hell out of that one. A cutter I was real close to dis some reasearch on her once. All I will say is that things got wierd fast. Nearly drove the poor berk barmey. Only the Addle-coves check into that......

whoops I posted in Planescape speak again, sorry all

• 3 weeks later...

Most people probably think of Transylvania, that region in current day Romania as being where vampire myths originated; thanks in large part to an author named Bram Stoker.

But from what I've heard and read Greece and Serbia are actually richer in vampire lore then anywhere else in the Balkans or the rest of the world for that fact.

The best known "true life" vampire story is from out of current day Serbia; that being the story of Arnod (or Arnold) Paole.