Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Caterole'-look what the cook's dragged in

Owlscrying

Alice Springs children's author Kaye Kessing has entered her sauteed cat and quandong in this year's Wildfoods Recipe Challenge of the Alice Desert Festival.

She chose the dish ahead of her other feline favourite, the "caterole".

The secret, says the feral chef, is to make sure the cat is well done so that any bacteria is killed.

"It's a white meat but I would say it's not as gamey as rabbit," Ms Kessing said.

"I would never boil a cat -- I would roast it or chop it up and saute it," she said.

Ms Kessing said she first ate cat about 15 years ago, inspired by local Aborigines.

Ms Kessing said Territorians should be eating more wild meat to help reduce the feral animals' impact on the environment.

Other favourites in her wildfood cookbook include feral pigeons and camels.

go

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AdorablyDead

• coldethyl

• Owlscrying

• omerta

Now I'm wondering what cat tastes like. I hear dog has a bitter aftertaste.

I'm actually somewhat surprised nobody was like ZOMG! AniMal Crulty!!

No way would I eat Tai or toes...

Now... annoying yapper dogs, sure. No problem everything tastes good drenched in enough sweet and sour sauce.

Okay I'm going to hide now.

I wonder what would Ms Kessing taste like boiled, with some garlic, some sour sauce....... yum yum :angry:

I'd sure like to punch this cook up a bit.

Not really.

I'd like to punch her up a lot.

This is what I meant. A cat is just an animal, despite the fact that so many of us seem to regard them and dogs as primarily pets, and animals do get eaten, so why should the cook deserve violence against them?

I know kids that are part of the four H club in Chestertown and they have thier pigs and cows as pets, they take care of and love them, but when that sucker gets the right age and weight....;)

Also some people keep pigs as actual house pets, does that mean we shouldn't eat pork anymore and anyone that does deserves a punch?

Also some people keep pigs as actual house pets, does that mean we shouldn't eat pork anymore and anyone that does deserves a punch?

Yep. It sure does in my book.

Call it egocentric.

I don't care.

Tell her to publish her book in China.

May I take it you are vegan Cold? :P

*highfives Inhuman* lol.

Edited by AdorablyDead

oh my... isn't that animal brutality ? eat chicken! or better. eat veggies!

How is it animal brutality? I'll assume and hope like hell that they butchered that cat properly and quickly like you would anything you eat and didn't cause it undue suffering.

May I take it you are vegan Cold? :P

*highfives Inhuman* lol.

LMFAO!

God no!

Go here if you don't know what I mean by egocentric.

I said nothing to infer I was a vegetarian or vegan. How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

LOL

LMFAO!

God no!

Go here if you don't know what I mean by egocentric.

I said nothing to infer I was a vegetarian or vegan. How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

LOL

No no, lol, I know what egocentric means XD I looked it up as soon as I read your answer :P

It was your answer to the question about the pigs as pets. Then you must have a clear distinction between food animals and pets?

No no, lol, I know what egocentric means XD I looked it up as soon as I read your answer :P

It was your answer to the question about the pigs as pets. Then you must have a clear distinction between food animals and pets?

Ah good, well thanks for looking it up and being honest about looking it up. :tu:

Actually my mistake, I wasn't just answering to that part of the post. I just meant she deserves the punch. I just want to punch her for offending my sensibilities.

See IMO she only published a book like this to make money and generate sales off the controversy and never intended anyone to actually cook a cat. It's all about the money.

I'd take her down a peg or two and believe you me, I could.

And about the clear distinction, I wouldn't have a pig as a pet personally (insert my definition here /having little or no regard for interests, beliefs, or attitudes other than one's own/) but I believe that anyone that would raise an animal as a pet and then eat it is a bit on the side that leans toward weird.

Ah good, well thanks for looking it up and being honest about looking it up. :tu:

Actually my mistake, I wasn't just answering to that part of the post. I just meant she deserves the punch. I just want to punch her for offending my sensibilities.

See IMO she only published a book like this to make money and generate sales off the controversy and never intended anyone to actually cook a cat. It's all about the money.

I'd take her down a peg or two and believe you me, I could.

Actually it never crossed my mind she did it for that reason. Good point ^_^.

Yep, its all about the controversy, using it to make a quick buck.

I'd sure like to punch this cook up a bit.

Not really.

I'd like to punch her up a lot.

why?

she cooked an animal and ate it

if she killed a cow or a chicken im sure you wouldnt care

why?

she cooked an animal and ate it

if she killed a cow or a chicken im sure you wouldnt care

Hey can you read?

I've already been through this.

EGOCENTRIC. Look it up or click on the link I posted.