Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brown rejects British troops withdrawal

questionmark

Brown rejects call for British troops to leave Iraq

By Kate Kelland

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Gordon Brown rejected on Tuesday a call to pull British troops out of Iraq, insisting they still had an important job to do battling militias and providing security.

In an open letter to an opposition party leader, he argued it was wrong to say the continued presence of British troops would achieve little, or to say that they were severely restricted in what they can do.

"UK forces in Basra continue to have the capability to strike against the militias and provide overall security," he said in the letter to Menzies Campbell, leader of Britain's third party, the Liberal Democrats, which opposed the Iraq war.

Campbell had called for a timetable to pull out, saying casualty levels were now unacceptable, but Brown said this would "undermine our international obligations, as well as hindering ... our armed forces and increasing the risks they face."

Source

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Unlimited

• stevewinn

• Atheist God

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Q-Mark,

I think Browns right, you cant have a timetable to withdraw, when the British pull back to the airport its a great chance to see if the Iraqi secruity forces can take control of their own affairs, its been 4 years and in that time the British army/Police have been training the Iraqi security forces with the intention of handing power over to the local authorities, lets just see what happens, Remember in 2006 the British handed over the province of Dhi Qar to Iraqi forces and all has been going pretty well, by Iraqi standards.

Steve,

Hi Q-Mark,

I think Browns right, you cant have a timetable to withdraw, when the British pull back to the airport its a great chance to see if the Iraqi secruity forces can take control of their own affairs, its been 4 years and in that time the British army/Police have been training the Iraqi security forces with the intention of handing power over to the local authorities, lets just see what happens, Remember in 2006 the British handed over the province of Dhi Qar to Iraqi forces and all has been going pretty well, by Iraqi standards.

Steve,

[whisper] I really agree, just wanted a piece of "good news" for some on this board feeling down. but they don't seem to notice. [/whisper]

Hi Q-Mark,

Steve,

do the british people support his desicion to stay in iraq?..or just his NWO handlers..

do the british people support his desicion to stay in iraq?..or just his NWO handlers..

Brits in general were, are, and by all indications will be against the Iraq adventure. That is mostly why Blair kind of disappeared through the "back door" instead of making a triumph out of his leaving office.

Brits in general were, are, and by all indications will be against the Iraq adventure. That is mostly why Blair kind of disappeared through the "back door" instead of making a triumph out of his leaving office.

Thats the problem with current govt..they dont care what the people want anymore...it's whatever the dark prince bush wants...I feel dirty knowing he's leading us into the abyss...there is a NWO plan in place and were being sucked into it like a vacuum...

Well as Bush would say 'heck of a job Brownie'....

From what I gather most British people oppose the war and want their troops home. If he were smart he would have recalled them and then he may have had a chance at winning the next election.

From what I gather most British people oppose the war and want their troops home. If he were smart he would have recalled them and then he may have had a chance at winning the next election.

...whatever happened to peace on earth....?

...whatever happened to peace on earth....?

Are you referring to the "Pax Americana" that everybody was so gung-ho about in the mid 90s? Never happened, never was intended and is uneconomical... why would you ask?

Are you referring to the "Pax Americana" that everybody was so gung-ho about in the mid 90s? Never happened, never was intended and is uneconomical... why would you ask?

lol...no im talking about countries concerning themselves with their own affairs. instead of instigating problems that can be solved thru weapons sales..

Edited by Unlimited

Hi A-God,

Most British people did support the war when we first invaded, some 3,000 people demonstrated against the war not many in a country of 60 million, also we've had an election since the war started, yet people still voted for the current labour government to stay in power, i do admit that in the last year or so more attitudes have changed, but i feel the change in attitude is more to do with brain washing by the mass media and how easy is for people "armchair warriors" to turn around and say im against the war lets bring all the troops home, i think people forget bringing the troops home isnt has simply as getting a few aeroplanes together a few ships and all leaving waving out of the windows as we disappear into the sun set, we stay the course we try our best to put wrongs right even if we created the wrongs in the first place, we listen to the commanders on the ground and take it one day at a time,

Brown wont pull out, he knows the consequences of such action,

Steve,

Hi A-God,

Most British people did support the war when we first invaded, some 3,000 people demonstrated against the war not many in a country of 60 million, also we've had an election since the war started, yet people still voted for the current labour government to stay in power, i do admit that in the last year or so more attitudes have changed, but i feel the change in attitude is more to do with brain washing by the mass media and how easy is for people "armchair warriors" to turn around and say im against the war lets bring all the troops home, i think people forget bringing the troops home isnt has simply as getting a few aeroplanes together a few ships and all leaving waving out of the windows as we disappear into the sun set, we stay the course we try our best to put wrongs right even if we created the wrongs in the first place, we listen to the commanders on the ground and take it one day at a time,

Steve,

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/polls/2002/itv-iraq.shtml

Maybe he is considering all those nice directorships on arms company boards, or maybe he is double bluffing and we will wake up one morning and they have all come home unannounced :rofl:

Hi A-God,

Steve,

Well people voted in the US for Bush a second time..... really only a superficial argument.

The best thing for Brittain would be to distance itself from this war and focus on social and economic problems at home.

The thing about Iraq is that there is nothing that can be done at this point to make it a better place and they aren't going to follow you home as Bush says they will. I understand withdrawl is not a everyone out now thing it has to be done gradually but it won't take that long considering Britain doesn't have a huge force in Iraq.

Maybe he is considering all those nice directorships on arms company boards, or maybe he is double bluffing and we will wake up one morning and they have all come home unannounced :rofl:

Imagine the frantic phone call in Iraq:

Ahmed1: Ahmed, allah 'u akhbar, can't find any British here to explode my car with...

Ahmed2: Well, Ahmed, I think they went home ...

Ahmed1: But I want my virgins!!!

Ahmed2: Now calm down, we will send you for a month to Bangkok instead, OK?

Imagine the frantic phone call in Iraq:

Ahmed1: Ahmed, allah 'u akhbar, can't find any British here to explode my car with...

Ahmed2: Well, Ahmed, I think they went home ...

Ahmed1: But I want my virgins!!!

Ahmed2: Now calm down, we will send you for a month to Bangkok instead, OK?

Way off topic but do they go to heaven if they just attempt to kill infidels or do they have to actually take an infidel with them ? Bit of a bummer if Ahmed1 has given all his stuff away and told his boss what he thinks of him or quit school just before exams time.

Q-Mark,

You've shot me down in flames with that link, according to that link i stand corrected,

the wording > seven in 10 people (71%) would support Britain joining any American-led military action against Iraq with UN approval but this drops to one in five (22%) without UN approval.

My bold, was the opinion i was putting across, but if you consider the full sentence then i stand corrected like i said above,

The US and Coalition of the willing couldnt wait for the approval of the UN, the UN couldnt organise a pee up in a brewery, a great example is Darfur in the sudan, take the US and UK out of the UN and what have you got, a lot of talk and hot air but no action,

Steve,

Way off topic but do they go to heaven if they just attempt to kill infidels or do they have to actually take an infidel with them ? Bit of a bummer if Ahmed1 has given all his stuff away and told his boss what he thinks of him or quit school just before exams time.

The exact context was those who die protecting the prophet. This was changed by the Caliphs, who were more interested in worldly than spiritual power.

ED:GARBLE

Edited by questionmark

Q-Mark,

You've shot me down in flames with that link, according to that link i stand corrected,

the wording > seven in 10 people (71%) would support Britain joining any American-led military action against Iraq with UN approval but this drops to one in five (22%) without UN approval.

My bold, was the opinion i was putting across, but if you consider the full sentence then i stand corrected like i said above,

The US and Coalition of the willing couldnt wait for the approval of the UN, the UN couldnt organise a pee up in a brewery, a great example is Darfur in the sudan, take the US and UK out of the UN and what have you got, a lot of talk and hot air but no action,

Steve,

That was the Key word then: UN approval. But there was none, just a all too visible maneuver pulled off by Collin Powell. As soon as the war started most of the British were against it. If there were no mass demonstrations until much later it was mostly due to the fact that Brits did not want to fall into their soldiers back.